Why Do the Cubs need 15 pitchers?

garapp

Liked Posts:
Be nice to have a couple more bats on the bench 13 should be enough

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
There *are* only 13 pitchers on the active roster. Where are you seeing 15???

garapp

Liked Posts:
Looked at last night's box score, complete with list of bench and pitchers in pen added up to 15

garapp

Liked Posts:
Oops!!!!!!My bad. The list included Eddie Butler and someone else. I stand corrected.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
we also need to weed thru them and make sure our go to guys are ready to pitch three innings when the playoffs come around.

This Norwood is very interesting, I just do not think you can have him going thru too many hitters. Just blow away a righty or two and get him in the dugout.

They do need to decide on Deuce though, ever since his grandfather died he just has not been right. I guess we see if the two weeks off got him better or not. The way maddon blows thru position players, it would be nice to have an extra bat.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Playoff bullpen ..
they can go 8 or 9 deep

Morrow

Edwards
Strop

Cishek
Montgomery

These guys are definite

Wilson
Rosario

Most likely in, probably determined by how they finish

Farrell Bass Hancock Mazzoni Chatwood Butler

1 or 2 might get a shot

Why i said before, i could see the cubs looking to add 1 or 2 guys for the pen ..

They have 5 guys with 1 or 2 they are on the edge depending on how they finish..

They could go with 1 of the other young arms or look to add a veteran or two that playing good this year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Each series you can reset off of the 40 man. So I can see some minor additions.

Butler doubt it.
Chatwood off.

Duesing will have a uphill battle to stick.

Hopefully we see Smyly and that closes that door.

Still the main issue is Darvish. That dictates the deadline.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
"No matter what happens [with Darvish], we're going to be trying to acquire pitching and try to acquire depth," Hoyer said. "That's our focus no matter what."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still think that they should go after Ross/Hand/Janakowski for Happ/Underwood/Bote with a pick.

I doubt anyone takes Chatwood. That is Theo’s cross to bear. SD has a good SS. 2nd to Russell to D runs saved in the NL. 2B is a spot for upgrade. Bote’s bat plays up there. Happ becomes the everyday CF. Underwood gets a opertunity to start.

For the Cubs it nets a top line set up with control. Ross pushes either Montgomery or Chatwood out. Janakowski becomes the 4th OF.

Now with Rizzo leading off who knows if this a jump start thing or Joe has finally committed

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I still think that they should go after Ross/Hand/Janakowski for Happ/Underwood/Bote with a pick.

I doubt anyone takes Chatwood. That is Theo’s cross to bear. SD has a good SS. 2nd to Russell to D runs saved in the NL. 2B is a spot for upgrade. Bote’s bat plays up there. Happ becomes the everyday CF. Underwood gets a opertunity to start.

For the Cubs it nets a top line set up with control. Ross pushes either Montgomery or Chatwood out. Janakowski becomes the 4th OF.

Now with Rizzo leading off who knows if this a jump start thing or Joe has finally committed

I think Ross has been one of the worst pitchers in either league other than Chatwood over the last month and a half. His ERA has gone up a full run, the 8 earned in 2 innings did not help that, but he gives up homeruns in a park that does not really play like a home run park. 5 straight losses, two no decisions 1 win over the past month.

I am sure this can be dissected that he is not pitching that bad, but I am pretty sure we have thrown enough shit against the wall so far this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think Ross has been one of the worst pitchers in either league other than Chatwood over the last month and a half. His ERA has gone up a full run, the 8 earned in 2 innings did not help that, but he gives up homeruns in a park that does not really play like a home run park. 5 straight losses, two no decisions 1 win over the past month.

I am sure this can be dissected that he is not pitching that bad, but I am pretty sure we have thrown enough shit against the wall so far this year.

Ross had back to back bad results. Last game he bounced back. Month of June he was sporting a 3.38 ERA for the month.

I’ll put this out plain: the Cubs do not require to add a TOR. They just don’t. They are fine going in with Lester, Hendricks and Q. It is when they get into a 7 that is where Yu becomes a issue. You are not going to want to depend on either Montgomery or Chatwood on that 1 game.

Add to it they do not need a long term commit. Next year they have Lester, Yu, Q (option), Hendricks, Chatwood, Montgomery, Smyly all in control with Alozay sitting.

Ross would be insurance if they have to shut down Yu.

Now Hand makes sense as a long term asset due to Morrow’s injury history. They don’t have a 1A if they go off on a run. Last thing they want is pushing Morrow hard because the rest are sketchy in the big moment.

So all said and done. They don’t need a TOR and they don’t have the trade goods required to make it happen even if they did. But going after Hand is with in their capabilities. Add to it Hand and Ross together doesn’t push them over cap.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To add: I’ve posted this stuff before but I tend to look at WHIP latly in general when evaluating pitchers. The closer they are to 1.0 the more that they are keeping the game manageable.

Ross was around a 1.20 going into those 2 starts and he got hurt there. For the 3,starts this month he has a 1.88. Which is poor. But his last game was 6.1 IP 3 H 3 BB. So back at a 1.00.

I take it as a bump vs a train wreck.

We all know about Chatwood’s issues. His best WHIP month was 1.47 in Apr. it broke 2.00 1 month and has hovered 1.7-2.0 for the season.

You can say that his results are better than they should be because he is a ticking time bomb.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
"No matter what happens [with Darvish], we're going to be trying to acquire pitching and try to acquire depth," Hoyer said. "That's our focus no matter what."

I agree with this. I think expectations were a little high for Darvish. I do not expect much out of him in the future besides mediocre to average pitching. We definitely need to acquire pitching.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with this. I think expectations were a little high for Darvish. I do not expect much out of him in the future besides mediocre to average pitching. We definitely need to acquire pitching.

Why? If he had stayed healthy and just pitched to his average...his numbers would be this.

14-11 .559 3.49 34 34 0 0 0 0 213 174 88 83 24 80 1 262 8 1 12 886 124 3.37 1.190 7.3 1.0 3.4 11.0 3.26

I actually thought he might be better than his average pitching with a strong Cubs D behind him.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

they wont even let him put a fence up around his house on the lake, its all down hill from here.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Why? If he had stayed healthy and just pitched to his average...his numbers would be this.

14-11 .559 3.49 34 34 0 0 0 0 213 174 88 83 24 80 1 262 8 1 12 886 124 3.37 1.190 7.3 1.0 3.4 11.0 3.26

I actually thought he might be better than his average pitching with a strong Cubs D behind him.

Definitely did not start out "average". 1-3, 4.95 ERA and 1.425 WHIP had me a little concerned.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Definitely did not start out "average". 1-3, 4.95 ERA and 1.425 WHIP had me a little concerned.

Don't know the man but if given a guess, I would say he was probably injured early and tried to work through it. Not the smartest thing to do but Japanese are proud people.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Injuries happen. That is why having execess is not stupid

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I don’t question the contract. It is accually a solid value for a pitcher of his caliber.

And again n injuries happen. If this happened year 3 would we be bitching? I doubt it honestly. It was all about not having a chance to win the fan base.

Right now he is being labeled. If it happened later on we would be concerned. But when you look over a contract duration we just look at it as time missed over term.

I think we need to be a little more human. Or less depending on you disposition.