Cubs Bullpen

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Relief pitchers do. They even do it mid-season. See: Wilson, Justin.

Bullpens are just volatile, and you can count on them until you can't.

Which is why projecting a playoff bullpen is pointless until the end of September. It's gonna be whoever is going well and fortunately, the Cubs have a wide variety to choose from.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Which is why projecting a playoff bullpen is pointless until the end of September. It's gonna be whoever is going well and fortunately, the Cubs have a wide variety to choose from.
Not really...

Who are the extras to choose from

It pretty cut and dry with 8..
Morrow Cishek Wilson Strop Edwards Montgomery Kintzler Chavez

As much as we all dont care for Wilson , i doubt they drop him unless he turns in Duensing the last 2 months..

The discussion here is between Rosario and Smyley

Then if Darvish actually returns and becomes a factor, the question for management will be who starts between Lester Hamels Hendricks Quintana Darvish and what do they do with the 5th guy..

Other then this, there really no variety or anyone else to think about..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Not really...

Who are the extras to choose from

It pretty cut and dry with 8..
Morrow Cishek Wilson Strop Edwards Montgomery Kintzler Chavez

As much as we all dont care for Wilson , i doubt they drop him unless he turns in Duensing the last 2 months..

The discussion here is between Rosario and Smyley

Then if Darvish actually returns and becomes a factor, the question for management will be who starts between Lester Hamels Hendricks Quintana Darvish and what do they do with the 5th guy..

Other then this, there really no variety or anyone else to think about..

Let me preface what I am about to say with I know this guy has no chance of making a playoff roster. But Dylan Maples the last two years I’ve just been waiting for him to become a dominant bullpen arm. He might have better stuff than any options the cubs have. Unfortunately he has figured out how to throw strikes yet. If he ever can harness it and control the zone a little bit, I’ll be really excited to see what he can do.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Let me preface what I am about to say with I know this guy has no chance of making a playoff roster. But Dylan Maples the last two years I’ve just been waiting for him to become a dominant bullpen arm. He might have better stuff than any options the cubs have. Unfortunately he has figured out how to throw strikes yet. If he ever can harness it and control the zone a little bit, I’ll be really excited to see what he can do.
I agree..
Been waiting for him to take that next step since last year, was hoping he'd do that this year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree..
Been waiting for him to take that next step since last year, was hoping he'd do that this year

You can’t support Maples and shame Chatwood. Both are 1 BB per IP. Both are talented and both have huge control issues. Both should be past this phase as pitchers.

I wouldn’t wait on him. When he has earned it then he will be there. If he doesn’t then he won’t.

He has been given chances but what has kept the door closed is his walks. The only difference between him and Chatwood is $$$ And that is why we perceive Chatwood worse and why he is still a major league player.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You can’t support Maples and shame Chatwood. Both are 1 BB per IP. Both are talented and both have huge control issues. Both should be past this phase as pitchers.

I wouldn’t wait on him. When he has earned it then he will be there. If he doesn’t then he won’t.

He has been given chances but what has kept the door closed is his walks. The only difference between him and Chatwood is $$$ And that is why we perceive Chatwood worse and why he is still a major league player.

talk about a small sample size with Maples.....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
talk about a small sample size with Maples.....

Chatwood has had far more success than failure.

End of the day they are both walking guys.

Maples has been walking guys at a 1:1 ratio his whole career and he is not a young kid. He was drafted in Baez’s draft.

I would rather let this one go. If they felt he was a part of it they would have promoted vs traded for help. Guys like him catch on small markets that can’t afford to pay for a bull pen and can wait for development. Cubs are in a winning window. Which means you want in then impress me. “Bote”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would like to think that having a flaming shoulder would be a great asset. What hitter can focus when the pitcher is literally on fire?

My meaning was the other type

chibears55

Liked Posts:

https://twitter.com/voiceofcohen/status/1028120966638051328?s=19

That why you can get behind a 26 YO kid for the bullpen...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
https://twitter.com/voiceofcohen/status/1028120966638051328?s=19

That why you can get behind a 26 YO kid for the bullpen...

I read that today. I also read that Clifton had a no hitter into the 6th and has given up 2 runs or less 5 games in a row. And he is not on the 40 while turds like J. Suck Tseng waste spots.

If anything I believe if you are on the 40 man is is to fill injury and to protect from rule V. That is it. That is what they have used it for.

I find Clifton at AAA and Rucker at AA far more interesting right now. They are pitchers not super charged arms. Guys that that turn into Kyle Hendricks with 90 MPH vs another Marmol

Imo he never breaks in as a Cub. I honestly think that Alozay ends up as a BP arm and becomes the next Edwards. He lacks a 3rd pitch and they will push him like they did with Edwards.

With this Org most pen arms were starters at one point. Maples failed as a starter very early because of command issues and this has been a ongoing issue. What he has done to reinvent was to develop a sexy slider that is plus/plus. But like Marmol
He is a 1 trick pony lacking fastball command.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I read that today. I also read that Clifton had a no hitter into the 6th and has given up 2 runs or less 5 games in a row. And he is not on the 40 while turds like J. Suck Tseng waste spots.

If anything I believe if you are on the 40 man is is to fill injury and to protect from rule V. That is it. That is what they have used it for.

I find Clifton at AAA and Rucker at AA far more interesting right now. They are pitchers not super charged arms. Guys that that turn into Kyle Hendricks with 90 MPH vs another Marmol
The hope is, they end up with a gem or two in a couple years for the rotation...
I think the days of being able to quick fix the TOR with a under 30 FA coming to a close

Why i also think Epstein and Hoyer are going to change up the position players a bit in offseason and make it a little more stronger/consistent offensively for when they have young arms in the rotation

And

Possibly use a couple of their core players to strengthen the pitching in the system or their rotation for 2019 and beyond