With Emergence of Bote and Harper signing with Cubs, next year, I see Russell and S

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Trading Russell now when his value is suppressed from when he was a spec appears to be more knee jerk than anything else.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Trading Russell now when his value is suppressed from when he was a spec appears to be more knee jerk than anything else.
In the offseason, if they want to moved Russell as part of a package, teams will take him..

I can see him being moved for near ready prospects or in a package to bring in a SP..

Obviously theyll need to secure another SS first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
In the offseason, if they want to moved Russell as part of a package, teams will take him..

I can see him being moved for near ready prospects or in a package to bring in a SP..

It's not that teams don't want him. It's his value that is in question and he's just not worth anywhere near what he once was

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I think Schwarber put another lb on this week.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Wow a guy comes up from the minors has a nice little run and you talk about major moves like this Bote is some kind of diamond in the ruff. Calm down people. Millennials.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Wow a guy comes up from the minors has a nice little run and you talk about major moves like this Bote is some kind of diamond in the ruff. Calm down people. Millennials.
Fatbeard is an octogenarian

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Why is is obvious? Didnt someone show me Botes play in AAA from SS? Baez full time SS, Bote back up. If you want to secure another SS then I guess you are dealing one of Bote, Happ or Zobrist so Javy plays second and Nico can be dealt?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This thread is taking a nose dive.

Bote is a RH slash. Great bench player.

Russell is going nowhere. Arguably best SS glove in NL. Top 5 in baseball. Last I checked SS gets the most action after catcher and 1B....you kinda need a glove first guy.

Now the only guy that I see surplanting him is Nico. Kid got dinged but at his rate he would have been pushing AA and banging on the door next year. He still might.

So in view of that I could see a situation playing out next year at this time were Russell gets pushed out before his price tag escalates.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
why do you call it a pot shot, 30,000 more in ticket sales for teams that recently have won the world series? a 35 million salary is still only 216K a game. That is only 8.64 per fan if they get 25,000 more and both teams probably want the Marquee veteran player like when the cubs chose Heyward.

Are you suggesting a team’s attendance will increase by 25K per game?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This is best explained by "defensive stats are still wonky unless you've got about a three-season sample size". Look at his DRS.

It's unbiased instead of cherry picking.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is best explained by "defensive stats are still wonky unless you've got about a three-season sample size". Look at his DRS.

Hard to tell which stat holds the most value. DRS is saved under/over avg player so kinda like WAR.

On the 3 year avg IDK about that. Last year he was injured and it really screwed up his precieved value.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Defense (Def) is the combination of two important factors of defensive performance: value relative to positional average (fielding runs) and positional value relative to other positions (positional adjustment). In order to properly evaluate a player’s defensive value, you need to know both factors and adding them together and providing it on the site saves you a bit of legwork.

Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) is a defensive statistic calculated by The Fielding Bible, an organization run by John Dewan, that rates individual players as above or below average on defense. Much like UZR, players are measured in “runs” above or below average, and Baseball Info Solutions data is used as an input. Since DRS is measured in runs, it can be compared easily with a player’s offensive contributions (wRAA or similar statistics).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IDK honestly on DEF. it seems skewed on opinionated factors. A hard to make play in LF has less value than a hard play at SS. I really don’t see it as a balanced stat. Both positions take diffrent skill sets. A tough play is a tough play regardless.

I would rather have a flatline stat myself that just weighs runs saved or lost vs a flatline avg of the position in question. How it stacks against another position is irrelevant.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

No, using less than season-long defensive stats is itself cherry picking. Even the Fangraphs site has a disclaimer saying you need three full seasons of defensive stats for them to be reliable. You're using 2/3rds of one season.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No, using less than season-long defensive stats is itself cherry picking. Even the Fangraphs site has a disclaimer saying you need three full seasons of defensive stats for them to be reliable. You're using 2/3rds of one season.

It's what's currently happening.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Are you suggesting a team’s attendance will increase by 25K per game?

I started at 30 and figured I would eat shit over it. OK, they go up 12,500 fans, thats 17 bucks per new attendee. That is how little it costs to pay a guy 35 million dollars a year. We know the road cut will get bigger, but ok, lets say " I cant divide that by 162, there are only 81 home games. Well, when is the last time you went to a ball game and did not spend 35.00?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I really don’t understand the whole notion of trading out to acquire anything.

IMO if they are just playing a window and plan on letting the next group deal then why? If they are looking at a 20 year window then I get selling short to replenish.

Pitching wise BP is cheap. Trading is dumb there. They have Hamels, Darvish Hendricks, Lester under control. Control of Q, Chatwood, Smyly, Montgomery. So honestly where is the need?

O wise they have suffered injury and are still a league best O...

Over all I really don’t get any of this thread. It feels bias I want my boi getting the ball crap

Shit I bet most GM’s wish they had these issues....
My thought is this...
Epstein under contract for 3 more years..
It uncertain if he extends beyond that
(his choice)
If they dont win it all this year
He just may look to making some changes, to give them a better chance at winning it all over the next 3 yrs.

They have NL teams getting much better and catching up to them this year, like the Braves and Phillies, along with the Brewers and Dodgers..
Now you got powerhouses in the AL to contend with if you make it to WS, plus i believe next year theyll face the AL west on their schedule which will be a whole lot tougher then the Central this year....

So yea, he may look to rearrange his roster a bit in the offseason