IST: Brewers vs Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Right in line with Hendricks and Lester

Bull shit. Hendricks I can buy for the most part. Lester was a top 5 NL starter in the 1st half. Don’t take a few game nose dive and make it into something else.

Q has not been right sense 2016

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It is more so inevitable than not. Theo’s track record speaks for itself on targeting hitters. Pitchers is another story. That bit was the risk.
Heyward was a liability for two years considering the contract price. The Crawford signing in Boston didn't work out too well either, IIRC. Theo is best at drafting and finding diamonds in the rough, IMHO. He has made some bad trades in both Boston and Chicago. Getting rid of LeMahieu for Stewart is one off the top of my head. But...I don't want my comments to be taken as a huge criticism. The players are human beings, not numbers, so trades and FA signings are not an exact science. Neither is drafting, of course, but if you miss on some of those guys, not enough people pay attention to the farm anyway. When you think about it, he's got to be a future Hall of Fame baseball exec and he has missed plenty. It's a tough business.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Heyward was a liability for two years considering the contract price. The Crawford signing in Boston didn't work out too well either, IIRC. Theo is best at drafting and finding diamonds in the rough, IMHO. He has made some bad trades in both Boston and Chicago. Getting rid of LeMahieu for Stewart is one off the top of my head. But...I don't want my comments to be taken as a huge criticism. The players are human beings, not numbers, so trades and FA signings are not an exact science. Neither is drafting, of course, but if you miss on some of those guys, not enough people pay attention to the farm anyway. When you think about it, he's got to be a future Hall of Fame baseball exec and he has missed plenty. It's a tough business.

LeMahieu has had one season above 1.9 fWAR in his career. He's only had one season above 94 wRC+ in his career. Take him out of Coors Field and he's a career .267 hitter. Why do people still complain the Cubs let this guy go? The mind boggles.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
LeMahieu has had one season above 1.9 fWAR in his career. He's only had one season above 94 wRC+ in his career. Take him out of Coors Field and he's a career .267 hitter. Why do people still complain the Cubs let this guy go? The mind boggles.
Because Stewart was terrible. Duh!

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Because Stewart was terrible. Duh!

Because giving up a mediocre player for a bad one is mountains out of mole hills? How many LeMahieu-for-Stewart trades does it take to negate Arrieta/Strop-for-Feldman? Forest from the trees and all.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Because giving up a mediocre player for a bad one is mountains out of mole hills? How many LeMahieu-for-Stewart trades does it take to negate Arrieta/Strop-for-Feldman? Forest from the trees and all.
The Cubs traded away a guy who won 2 GG and 2 all-star appearances for a player who could barely hit .201 and they sent him packing after a nasty tweet the following year when he hit .091 on a rehab stint. If you think that was a good trade, I have a bridge to sell you. You seem to be looking at a tree instead of the forest.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
The Cubs traded away a guy who won 2 GG and 2 all-star appearances for a player who could barely hit .201 and they sent him packing after a nasty tweet the following year when he hit .091 on a rehab stint. If you think that was a good trade, I have a bridge to sell you. You seem to be looking at a tree instead of the forest.

Please quote where I said--or even implied--that it was a "good" trade.

As for LeMahieu's awards, I give zero fucks. He's the 18th most valuable 2B in baseball since 2013. You're making a rod for your own back here.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Please quote where I said--or even implied--that it was a "good" trade.

As for LeMahieu's awards, I give zero fucks. He's the 18th most valuable 2B in baseball since 2013. You're making a rod for your own back here.
You completely whiffed on what my post was about. Thanks for playing. Your parting gifts are backstage.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
we were also reminded last night that Harrison was a 6th round pick by the cubs in 2008 when they traded Kevin Hart, Jose Ascanio and Josh Harrison to Pittsburgh for John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny.

Josh Harrison, Josh Donaldson, LeMaihieu was just a throw in with Tyler Colvin. You dont want to go back to the Lou Brock trade do you?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
we were also reminded last night that Harrison was a 6th round pick by the cubs in 2008 when they traded Kevin Hart, Jose Ascanio and Josh Harrison to Pittsburgh for John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny.

Josh Harrison, Josh Donaldson, LeMaihieu was just a throw in with Tyler Colvin. You dont want to go back to the Lou Brock trade do you?

The conversation is about Theo's trades and signings....wasn't here in 2008 and probably wasn't even born when the Brock trade went down.

Try to keep up....

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You don't even get a lousy copy of our home game! ;)

8689206-very-sad-man.jpg

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The conversation is about Theo's trades and signings....wasn't here in 2008 and probably wasn't even born when the Brock trade went down.

Try to keep up....
Yes. And my post was specifically addressing the comment of "Theo’s track record speaks for itself on targeting hitters." I named 3 hitters. Crawford and Heyward, both of whom were acquired via FA signings. Crawford's numbers fell greatly upon arrival in Boston and Heyward's first 2 years in Chicago were clearly not acceptable for the amount of the contract. Year 3 seems a bit more justifiable. Stewart was acquired via trade. We had an overzealous poster create a strawman and beat the hell out of it, because of the mention of LeMahieu. Epstein targeted the hitter, Stewart, in that trade, because Stewart had demonstrated some pop in his bat and could possibly replace ARam. He targeted this guy who had hit 43 HR in 2 years with Denver, but the next season with CO he was terrible and split time between MLB and AAA. No joke. It didn't work out in CO and it didn't work out in Chicago. So the point is, Epstein hasn't always been right with hitters, just as he hasn't always been right with pitchers. As good as Epstein is, hitting on acquisitions can be hit and miss, no pun intended.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Try to keep up....

well, just wondered what the FUCK any of your discussions had to do with the cubs brewers series, so no reason not to add ancient history.

Why dont you start another thread when you want to show people how smart you are so the rest of us can avoid it. They dont cost nothing.