“That was all my agent.” “That was my agent.” “That was between my agent and Mr.Pace”

Toast88

Liked Posts:
LOL. How naive. This will ALWAYS be attached to Roquan. If he fails.... people will blame it on the hold out. If he succeeds..... people will talk about how amazing it is that he succeeded despite missing all of camp. If he's a fucking HOFer 20 years from now reporters will talk about how his incredible career started on such a bad note. Get used to it.

Sadly, you’re right.

Look, I started this thread, but I’m not going to hold this stuff against the kid as he goes forward into his career. I hope he kicks ass.

But as I mentioned in another thread, I can see every armchair former HS player overly criticizing this guy every time he makes a mistake or misses a tackle—“Should’ve been at camp!”

But even after the first year, this’ll always be talked about, whether that’s fair or not. Just like Bosa is a fucking boss, but is still thought of probably first and foremost for the holdout.

Now, that doesn’t necessarily mean anything for the long-term on-the-field stuff, but I hope he doesn’t care and has thick skin.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The comp to Urlacher is so ridiculous. Urlacher signed his last contract 2 years before the new CBA was in effect. A CBA mind you, that likely contributed to his swift departure from the league. The CBA didn't just make it worse for rookies. It back fired for vets also.

It was a comment based on Urlacher's own direct comment on how he handled his rookie contract negotiation. Nothing more nothing less Xuder O'Queef.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It was a comment based on Urlacher's own direct comment on how he handled his rookie contract negotiation. Nothing more nothing less Xuder O'Queef.

lol, it wasn't entirely directed at you. Many have used Urlacheer's interview to slam Smith, and I was just offering a little perspective.

You really have turned into one of those you used to dislike

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I resemble that comment.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's over.....the only thing that matters is the field now.....let it go everyone.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like Bears gave him something they would have given him anyway....Bears really don't go after voids unless something serious happens....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Seems like Bears gave him something they would have given him anyway....Bears really don't go after voids unless something serious happens....

Which is why they should have just given it to him from the start.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I don't see that Roquan got any special concessions really. If he is the aggressor and gets suspended 1 game for a non-football play or gets suspended for 2 games regardless of initiation or not for a non-football play, the Bears can take away his guarantees. We'll never know the original verbiage, but the Bears still seem to hold the cards if Smith does screw up.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't see that Roquan got any special concessions really. If he is the aggressor and gets suspended 1 game for a non-football play or gets suspended for 2 games regardless of initiation or not for a non-football play, the Bears can take away his guarantees. We'll never know the original verbiage, but the Bears still seem to hold the cards if Smith does screw up.

He didn't want to be suspended for bullshit ie an accidental bump of a referee or a fight in which he was not the aggressor. That is what many of us were saying from the start was bullshit and it is obvious that is what his main concern was given what has been reported.

We said all along that if the Bears weren't going to suspend for stuff like that to just remove it from the contract and specify the violent acts they did wish to punish him for and lo and behold the genius Pace finally figured it out several weeks later.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Eh...from what I understand the Bears wanted to be able to void his contract anytime he messed up. So I think the Bears made a concession as well. This shouldn't have taken this long to get to this on either party.

Washington

Liked Posts:
He didn't want to be suspended for bullshit ie an accidental bump of a referee or a fight in which he was not the aggressor. That is what many of us were saying from the start was bullshit and it is obvious that is what his main concern was given what has been reported.

We said all along that if the Bears weren't going to suspend for stuff like that to just remove it from the contract and specify the violent acts they did wish to punish him for and lo and behold the genius Pace finally figured it out several weeks later.

Wouldn't bumping a ref be a league imposed suspension and not a team one? If he bumps a ref and gets a one game suspension, the Bears can cancel his guarantees if I read the results right.

As to a potential suspension arising from something happening after a play, Smith’s guaranteed money will not void if he’s suspended for one game for an incident that occurs while defending himself or a teammate. While it’s possible that a disagreement could emerge — and an arbitration may be needed — as to whether Smith was or wasn’t the aggressor in a given situation, the Bears yielded on their prior position that they should have discretion to decide whether to void guarantees based on a post-play incident. Instead, Smith’s guarantees will void only if he’s suspended two games for a post-play infraction, or if he’s deemed to be the aggressor as to an incident resulting in a one-game suspension.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He would have to be suspended 3 times before the Bears can void anything. Not just one suspension. If I read that correctly

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't bumping a ref be a league imposed suspension and not a team one? If he bumps a ref and gets a one game suspension, the Bears can cancel his guarantees if I read the results right.

As to a potential suspension arising from something happening after a play, Smith’s guaranteed money will not void if he’s suspended for one game for an incident that occurs while defending himself or a teammate. While it’s possible that a disagreement could emerge — and an arbitration may be needed — as to whether Smith was or wasn’t the aggressor in a given situation, the Bears yielded on their prior position that they should have discretion to decide whether to void guarantees based on a post-play incident. Instead, Smith’s guarantees will void only if he’s suspended two games for a post-play infraction, or if he’s deemed to be the aggressor as to an incident resulting in a one-game suspension.

An accidental bump wouldn't be considered someone being the aggressor and if the Bears tried to claim that then it would go to a arbitrator. Accidental doesn't typically mean aggressor.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Which is why they should have just given it to him from the start.
Or he needed not hold out over it. It cuts both ways. Plus that is an assumption by you that the Bears gave that without them coming off some much greater, like no void for kneeling. It will never be known as no one is going to say I or he really wanted, X, but settled for Y.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I can see someone fresh out of college looking at a contract worth millions leaving it in their agent's hands. Right up to the point that it turns into a hold out.
Then if it's me I'm trying to figure out who's trying to screw me over because someone is. It's either the people I employ or the people about to employ me. He had the power to know exactly what was going on, if he didn't that does say something.

However it sounds like press conference blow off talk. He could've just as easily said "that's none of your business".

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or he needed not hold out over it. It cuts both ways. Plus that is an assumption by you that the Bears gave that without them coming off some much greater, like no void for kneeling.

Why would he want to open himself up to being suspended over bullshit? Again, if the Bears never intended to punish him for it then it is stupid for them to have insisted on it initially which I think they did.

Agreed that it is possible Smith was asking for more as I do think both sides eventually compromised. If that is the case and he didn't accept this offer initially then that was stupid as well.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
An accidental bump wouldn't be considered someone being the aggressor and if the Bears tried to claim that then it would go to a arbitrator. Accidental doesn't typically mean aggressor.

The bolded was also a concession by the Bears according to your quote.