Quintana Trade - Buyer's remorse?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs thought they were trading for a cost controlled top of the rotation work horse. Don't kid yourself. This wasn't a Aroldis Chapman type move.

You need to relax on the patting of the back bud. Anyone with a brain can see the NL is the B league of Major League Baseball.

Just reference the interleague record for the past 20+ years. The NL is pathetic. It even correlates over the all star game. Best winning % in the NL is the tallest midget award. :clap: :clap: :clap:

AL has teams tanking on purpose. So you end up with teams with inflated records feasting on intentional losers to get better draft selection.

NL is stronger as a whole and more competitive in general. That is why all of the teams are closer to the mean.

Not shocked you think this after looking at the Red Sox and the Yankee’s and end up with this opinion. You have to look at bottom also and the league worst are all in the AL.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know if its buyers remorse, but eventually, you need to consider that Cease might be up late next year and what would we have done to fill the rotation without Q?

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Hindsight is 20/20 but of course the cubs have some regret about that trade. Eloy looks like a future star (projection) and Q has been underwhelming.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Hindsight is 20/20 but of course the cubs have some regret about that trade. Eloy looks like a future star (projection) and Q has been underwhelming.

I think we were all convinced Eloy was a better version of Soler, but I dont think anyone knew that Cease was going to be this good.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think we were all convinced Eloy was a better version of Soler, but I dont think anyone knew that Cease was going to be this good.

I'd hold off on Cease for now. He's got great numbers in AA but he's still doing it with primarily two pitches. If he can't get that third pitch he's going to be a late inning reliever. All that said he's likely to be a lockdown closer which is by no means bad. The kid has a MLB star's arm.

Holy Cow

Liked Posts:
Might the Cubs consider Q coming out of the pen in a best of 5 vs Milw? If options are limited

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Might the Cubs consider Q coming out of the pen in a best of 5 vs Milw? If options are limited

Why? He's the team's best pitcher the last 25 days and one of the top reasons the Cubs were in first for the summer.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Why? He's the team's best pitcher the last 25 days and one of the top reasons the Cubs were in first for the summer.

One reason why you might go 4 deep in a 5 game series is to make sure you're showing different looks to the hitters so if all of your starters are performing you start all 4. Plus if it's against Milwaukee he starts regardless. By the way Q in his last 6 starts 2.10 ERA, 3.27 FIP, 1.14 WHIP. For a larger sample size, since the beginning of August he's at 3.31 ERA, 4.14 FIP, 1.12 WHIP. The FIP isn't great but not far above his career numbers and the actual results have been good. This guy is not the liability people think he is.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Cubs starting pitching is shoring itself up. Q is looking very good right now. Perhaps that's the reason to wait until the end of the season before posting threads like this? And no. I'm not being critical of the OP, just a discussion point.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Q pitched pretty damn good yesterday. No run support.

I'm feeling better about our rotation heading into October now than I did back in June/July.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The Cubs starting pitching is shoring itself up. Q is looking very good right now. Perhaps that's the reason to wait until the end of the season before posting threads like this? And no. I'm not being critical of the OP, just a discussion point.

At the end of the season Quintana's numbers will be slightly below his career averages. His fWAR will be down significantly because of the BB/9 and his FIP but his ERA will be very close to his 3.58 career mark. It won't go down as a great season for him, his worst since 2012 in all likelihood, but it won't be a terrible one either. I think most of the issues people have with Q is what we paid for him and that has nothing to do with him. It is, unfortunately right in the range (if a bit on the high side) what 3 1/2 years of a quality starter costs. Particularly one that is cost controlled for as much a bargain as Q is.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just don't think he is what he was supposed to be....a TOR guy. A top guy gives you strong games more far more often than not.....Q is about 50/50. If you're using salary as a variable, then I suppose he's a good fit but when you weigh in what they traded to get him...hmmm, not so much. As TC said, that's not his fault but it is a reality nonetheless.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
At the end of the season Quintana's numbers will be slightly below his career averages. His fWAR will be down significantly because of the BB/9 and his FIP but his ERA will be very close to his 3.58 career mark. It won't go down as a great season for him, his worst since 2012 in all likelihood, but it won't be a terrible one either. I think most of the issues people have with Q is what we paid for him and that has nothing to do with him. It is, unfortunately right in the range (if a bit on the high side) what 3 1/2 years of a quality starter costs. Particularly one that is cost controlled for as much a bargain as Q is.

Cubs don’t have a top 100 SP prospect upwelling.

Smyly has not tossed a MLB pitch in 2018.

Chatwood has been a train wreck.

Montgomery is a great 6th man.

As it is you have to pull Hamels’ opt right now. Then hope you get a full season out of Smyly and Darvish.

Honestly next year the Cubs are in a very good place with a all star starting 5 and Smyly, Montgomery and Chatwood as injury depth.

But if Smyly pitches Sept and Alozay doesn’t get shut down then that changes the tempo this off season. As is, the rest adjust around your 5.

Everything said, Q pitches 200 innings and to be perfectly honest in this age of baseball is very unappreciated and vital

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I just don't think he is what he was supposed to be....a TOR guy. A top guy gives you strong games more far more often than not.....Q is about 50/50. If you're using salary as a variable, then I suppose he's a good fit but when you weigh in what they traded to get him...hmmm, not so much. As TC said, that's not his fault but it is a reality nonetheless.

If you think Q has been 50/50 this year you've just not followed his games close enough.

Holy Cow

Liked Posts:
Was just throwing it out there...fully expect Q to start.. question then becomes what game would he start in a best of 5 vs Milw provided the rotation is setup

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Was just throwing it out there...fully expect Q to start.. question then becomes what game would he start in a best of 5 vs Milw provided the rotation is setup

Joe will do what Joe will do is the best answer to the question on his playoff rotation.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I'd expect the Cubs will carry five starters and seven relievers into an NLDS, with (in order) Lester, Hamels, Hendricks and Quintana actually starting. Montgomery will be available to spot-start in case of illness or injury to any of the four top starters, but with Monty considered as bullpen, we can carry only seven additional relievers.

IIRC, Joe started the NLDS like this last year,and then went to five starters, eight relievers and one less bench guy into the NLCS. The exact selection of relievers is going to happen at the very last minute; it always has in the Maddon era.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you think Q has been 50/50 this year you've just not followed his games close enough.

Yeah, your right. It's not 50/50.....it's 13 out of 29....45%. Way to stay on top of things and totally miss the point.