Quintana Trade - Buyer's remorse?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Just when I thought Q was starting to right the ship. Guy just doesn't have the goods. I wouldn't trust him at all in the playoffs.

Yeah, that one start said it all.

*where's my green?*

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I can’t argue it. He is a nice #4 starter. If you expect ace then of course you will be disappointed

That said; if they pull Hamels opt and Darvish gets 100% then he is your #5 and is a bit pricy as one. But with injury and decline ahead it would be stupid to weaken yourself at a vital area to strengthen another.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
you think this thread will never die now, wait til Eloy and Cease start making headlines on the south side.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I can’t argue it. He is a nice #4 starter. If you expect ace then of course you will be disappointed

That said; if they pull Hamels opt and Darvish gets 100% then he is your #5 and is a bit pricy as one. But with injury and decline ahead it would be stupid to weaken yourself at a vital area to strengthen another.

$10 million for a #5 that gives you 200 innings, k per inning, and an era of around 3.25? that's too pricey????

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Except $10 mil is the price of a #5 on the open market and you can see that borne out over the last few years. It's also why a lot of teams don't sign #5 pitchers and rather develop them from their system. Q's number over the years do not paint him a a #4 though, in fact in his best years he Hamels and Lester have stats there are nearly identical. I'm not saying there's not a difference because there is, Hamels and Lester have that extra thing where they know when to throw the big pitch in the big moments and Quintana struggles with that but in all the major stats K/9, BB/9, ERA, FIP, WHIP these guys compare to each other. To me that makes him a 2/3 type when he's on. Quintana was better last year with the Cubs than people given him credit for and he's been better most of the year this year than he's being credited for. He was bad in May and July which is why at the end of the day this year will most likely be an outlier in his career as he's too young for it to be considered inevitable decline. Given career stats and a presumption of regression to the mean and health a rotation of Lester, Darvish, Hamels, Hendricks and Quintana has to be looked at as about as strong a 5 man as you can reasonably put together. Lacking the highs of a Verlander it might not be on par with what Houston threw out in 2018, but close.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not about who he is but who he isn't. The Cubs paid in trade for a #2 or #3....they got a 4 or 5. What Hamel is providing is probably what the Cubs were looking for from Q.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I really don’t want to argue value because the Cubs have 3 other guys that are 1-2 quality right now and another on the DL. When I say #5 next year is because that is how good that rotation is bs how poor Q is.

Now I did say #5 for that price is pricy. It is for a guy that you normally bump off but as we have seen injuries happen and it is justified. What happens in Oct happens.

Now honestly that is how I feel. Would I rather have Alozay as my 5? No he has never tossed a pitch in the majors. That is small market mentality. Even if he did? How many kids have we seen go under the knife right when they get to the majors? Plenty and to be honest this should be looked at more closely in baseball. It has become trend and that is a problem.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's not about who he is but who he isn't. The Cubs paid in trade for a #2 or #3....they got a 4 or 5. What Hamel is providing is probably what the Cubs were looking for from Q.

:speechless: