IST: Reds vs Cubs

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
s-l300.jpg
thumbnail.asp

Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL

8/23 7:05 PM CDT

DeScalafini (6-3, 4.12 ERA) vs Hamels (8-9, 4.0 ERA)

8/24 1:20 PM CDT

Harvey (6-7, 4.91 ERA) vs TBD

8/25 1:20 PM CDT

Castillo (7-10, 4.86 ERA) vs Quintana (10-9, 4.36 ERA)

8/26 1:20 PM CDT

Bailey (1-11, 6.21 ERA) vs Hendricks (9-10, 4.04 ERA)

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Zas made a spot start in a double header after Farrel went 5 yesterday, Mills is pitching today, wonder if Tseng will get another chance? Looks like he got rocked his last start.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Well, that's the question -- would you rather see Tseng take the start, or Chatwood? Barring a trade, and assuming Underwood is out of the equation as well, I don't see very many other options.

Truth to tell, I'd rather one of these guys than having a classic "bullpen day" and starting, say, Rosario. We're at the beginning of more than three weeks without a day off, I'd really hate to see a designated bullpen day happen so early in this stretch...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well, that's the question -- would you rather see Tseng take the start, or Chatwood? Barring a trade, and assuming Underwood is out of the equation as well, I don't see very many other options.

Truth to tell, I'd rather one of these guys than having a classic "bullpen day" and starting, say, Rosario. We're at the beginning of more than three weeks without a day off, I'd really hate to see a designated bullpen day happen so early in this stretch...

Thats the one thing I did hear about the Saturday start, was it is definitely not going to be a bullpen start because of this stretch. Take advantage of the 26th man and use him.

I am not really sure what the rotation is in iowa, I was looking back at their results to find it and just found the last 3.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's looking like it's going to be Underwood. I would have liked to have seen Matt Swarmer but it would have been un-Theo like to bring a pitcher up from AA.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Good, I want to see what Underwood can bring. And this may not be the last time over the next week or two we will need to use a AAA arm. Until Monty is ready to go again, we need someone to fill in that #5 rotation slot...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Good, I want to see what Underwood can bring. And this may not be the last time over the next week or two we will need to use a AAA arm. Until Monty is ready to go again, we need someone to fill in that #5 rotation slot...

yeah, we might need someone to fill that rotations spot because I really think they might leave Monty in the pen when he comes back. They will use this inflamation as an excuse to preserve him for the big picture. One good Underwood outing gets a little more balance if they let him throw again. I really liked how underwood was pitching after he settled down in that start he got, but until he gets back to back starts, each time he gets here is gonna be butterflies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So if Underwood promotes does that mean Rosero heads back?

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
We're looking to fill the #5 slot for another, what, seven turns through the rotation? If we manage to maintain this lead and get into the playoffs (fingers and toes crossed), we'll only take four starters onto the playoff roster. Once we get there, the Lester-Hamels-Hendricks-Quintana rotation will get us through as far as we go. And at that point, yeah, we have Monty in the bullpen. And, of course, in another 9 days we can bring up as many arms as we need to get through bullpen days.

So, it's a concern, but it's only a concern until 1) we get Monty back, 2) for only another seven turns through, and 3) with 15 relievers in the 'pen starting September 1st... ;)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All I can say: if they promote then do it with the intention of closing the season with him. I really don’t care if it is Underwood Mills or if they do a 40 man swap and it ends up Clifton. Just pick the guy that has been the most dominate at AAA.

I’m partial to Clifton myself. But what do I know.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Beware of promoting guys who aren't quite ready, especially pitchers. Look at what happened to Tseng, he got promoted as a surprise, got tossed onto the field with no time to prepare mentally, got pounded in his first big league start, and went rapidly downhill from there.

There's no way to tell whether or not Tseng would have self-destructed at the Show no matter what the circumstances. But he really looks like the textbook example of how bringing up a pitcher before he's ready can kill his career.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Beware of promoting guys who aren't quite ready, especially pitchers. Look at what happened to Tseng, he got promoted as a surprise, got tossed onto the field with no time to prepare mentally, got pounded in his first big league start, and went rapidly downhill from there.

There's no way to tell whether or not Tseng would have self-destructed at the Show no matter what the circumstances. But he really looks like the textbook example of how bringing up a pitcher before he's ready can kill his career.

He lost velocity again. What you posted is not true. Taking a 93 mph fastball with little life and losing 5 mph will kill you

To add: this is like saying: Tseng is a little bitch who got punked and now is shell shocked.

Nice one

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly at this point it has to be Clifton. 6-6 3.37 ERA 1.22 WHIP 115 IP so far. Both Underwood and Mills are mid 4 ERA. WHIP around 1.30+ each. He has been the better pitcher this year and unless it is a IP limit in place they should just let the kid get a look. Then when the rosters expand then they can do a rotation day with the 3 pitching to give the pen a break.

I would rather have Montgomery settled into a pen role in Sept because that will be his role in Oct and he needs to get back into a rubber arm state

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Honestly at this point it has to be Clifton. 6-6 3.37 ERA 1.22 WHIP 115 IP so far. Both Underwood and Mills are mid 4 ERA. WHIP around 1.30+ each. He has been the better pitcher this year and unless it is a IP limit in place they should just let the kid get a look. Then when the rosters expand then they can do a rotation day with the 3 pitching to give the pen a break.

I would rather have Montgomery settled into a pen role in Sept because that will be his role in Oct and he needs to get back into a rubber arm state

It's one start. I don't see them replacing Monty in the rotation and he's eligible to come off of the DL on Sunday, although they'll probably hold him off until his next start. Underwood has pitched well in his last few starts and the noises are that he'll get the nod but we'll all soon see. Any interest if Gio Gonzales? He just cleared waivers.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Any interest if Gio Gonzales? He just cleared waivers.

Is he any better than Q? Reason I ask is because if he's not I don't see the point. If all you're looking for is a #5 starter then I don't really see the point in giving up anything of value. You have 8 days until rosters expand. If you get by this one turn through the rotation you could easily just bring up several arms from AAA and use a bullpen game as your 5th starter the next time around.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It's one start. I don't see them replacing Monty in the rotation and he's eligible to come off of the DL on Sunday, although they'll probably hold him off until his next start. Underwood has pitched well in his last few starts and the noises are that he'll get the nod but we'll all soon see. Any interest if Gio Gonzales? He just cleared waivers.

I just dont think they want Monty in the rotation, they really want him in the pen as someone they can trust. They went all last year saying we cant let him throw too much, this year, same grumblings. You gotta admit some teams rake on left handed pitching and its tough having a whole series against them. It will be a tough nut if the cubs end up needing the play in game as it is.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I just dont think they want Monty in the rotation, they really want him in the pen as someone they can trust. They went all last year saying we cant let him throw too much, this year, same grumblings. You gotta admit some teams rake on left handed pitching and its tough having a whole series against them. It will be a tough nut if the cubs end up needing the play in game as it is.

I get that but they're not going to trot out the likes of Underwood or Clifton for the month of September. This team is looking to nail down a division, not a WC game. Getting Murphy was a sign that they think they can get to the World Series.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

If they split the costs for another unheard sure. Rizzo has been picking some unknown so he must have good intel.

On Monty: honestly on the fence. I would rather they use AAA when needed and use off days for a rotation slot. Keep Monty in the pen adjusting to his role.

If it is coming down to the wire they should try to go for Geo IMO. Guy is gone so just a rent honestly.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
As i hoped...

Chatwood to the DL
(Maples brought up)
Mills will start Friday

I really would like to see Mills pitch well and hold onto the 5th spot the rest of year, because id like for them to take their time with Monty and just get him ready for October...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk