Joe Maddon's Job Security

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Machado replaces Russell, that a big lift for the offense..

This is going to be year 3 that we hope some of these guys improve

Now were hoping year 3 is a better year for Schwarber ?

If Maddon still the manager, Almora just not going to get an opportunity to do more..
He might've had an opportunity this year, but he shut down in the 2nd half..

Contreras probably improves if he gets more days off and works over the offseason

Zobrist gonna 38, odds against him repeating what he did this year..
Probably gets less AB next year with Baez and possibly Machado playing everyday and depending what they do with the OF

I dont wanna give up on these kids but i just see a change in the lineup..

I think Russell and Schwarber are expendable

You do?

Funny you haven’t mentioned tbat.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You do?

Funny you haven’t mentioned tbat.

Pete and repeat.....

images

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would hope we expect more out of Schwarber then just walking more and striking out less...

This is what's frustrating about having this conversation with you. You don't seem to understand how players develop. Javy wasn't just terrible and then suddenly one change made him an MVP caliber hitter. The first 3 stints in the majors he dropped his K rate every time. Last year his K rate went up a tad but that came with a higher than his career average walk rate and more power. This year, the K rate came back down, keeping some of the walks and adding even more power. Point there being those were small incremental changes that finally added up to a big year not 1 career changing thing.

I think via past conversations I've shown I understand stats enough to tell you what is missing in a players game. Here's the thing... with Schwarber, he's not really missing anything vs RHP. I'd love for him to increase his batting average a bit and drop his K rate more but look at Harper who's a similar profile bat. Against RHP Harper hit 25 HR's with a .250/.396/.508 triple slash this year. Schwarber also hit 25 HRs vs RHP in about 60 fewer PAs and hit .241/.356/.503. This is the same Harper you want to sign and who's probably going to make $25-30 mil next year when I don't even think Schwarber is in arbitration yet. He's pretty damn good vs RHP.

What stops Schwarber right now from being an all-star bat or better is the fact LHP still eats him up. Now I've already went through those numbers several times so I'm not going to do it again. One of two things will happen. He'll either improve vs LHP or he wont. As I've shown with Rizzo, it's not uncommon for LH sluggers to have this issue either and ultimately get past it. Either way, the absolute worst case for Schwarber is he's a platoon guy that hits like a poor man's Harper on the strong side of his platoon. And because the strong side of his platoon is RHP that means he would still see play about 75% of the time. That's also why Almora is perfect to pair with him because Almora CRUSHES LHP and he's kind of the prefect 4th outfielder because he's a strong defender who can play all three outfield spots.

And all of that assume Schwarber doesn't improve vs LHP which he's done literally every year he's been in the majors. I have no issue with people being skeptical that he'll be good vs LHP anytime soon but that's the entire reason you keep both him and Almora. They compliment each other's weakness and pairing them together makes a really good player.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Lou Pinhead really pissed me off when he took ALL THE CREDIT for putting guys in the position to perform well. Whether it was matchups, being due, whatever good happened he took credit for.

Joe is not really like that, I would just appreciate him admitting to screwing up so all his nut huggers can see he is also human. Nobody will ever convince me that he was confused with pinch hitting Almora for Happ in the original pitchers spot. Maybe he wanted Almora to pinch hit for Heyward, that made sense, or get ready to hit for Murphy, but not pinch hit for a righty that can put the ball on the street or take a walk to get things moving.

I would just prefer that if Bote walks off a great win, that he be rewarded by being in the fucking lineup the next day.

There seems to be something real happening between Maddon and Theo, so all this job security talk really does have some legs. If the season ends today, its going to be a long winter.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lou Pinhead really pissed me off when he took ALL THE CREDIT for putting guys in the position to perform well. Whether it was matchups, being due, whatever good happened he took credit for.

Joe is not really like that, I would just appreciate him admitting to screwing up so all his nut huggers can see he is also human. Nobody will ever convince me that he was confused with pinch hitting Almora for Happ in the original pitchers spot. Maybe he wanted Almora to pinch hit for Heyward, that made sense, or get ready to hit for Murphy, but not pinch hit for a righty that can put the ball on the street or take a walk to get things moving.

I would just prefer that if Bote walks off a great win, that he be rewarded by being in the fucking lineup the next day.

There seems to be something real happening between Maddon and Theo, so all this job security talk really does have some legs. If the season ends today, its going to be a long winter.

Dramatic much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

What "real" is happening between Maddon and Theo? Is Theo pissed that Maddon over-achieved despite Theo's garbage signings this past off-season?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So the "replacement" is two guys who've never managed a MLB before and one who was worse with a NYY team who had more money to spend? No thanks.
Didn't say those would be my choices, just pointing out that it not like noone talking about the possibility of Maddon being fired...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
So the "replacement" is two guys who've never managed a MLB before and one who was worse with a NYY team who had more money to spend? No thanks.

I mean you can say no thanks but you're not making the decision.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Who said it wasn't being discussed? What matters is whether or not Epstein is discussing it. I previously stated that unless there is friction between the FO and Maddon that we dont know about, he isn't going anywhere. But they sure have to come up with better candidates than the article listed.

The rumor is that Maddon wants too much money. He is already arguably paid above the market. If he wants an extension at 8-10 million per season you can't blame the FO for moving on. Especially when you consider Maddon's lack of "tactical skills."

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The rumor is that Maddon wants too much money. He is already arguably paid above the market. If he wants an extension at 8-10 million per season you can't blame the FO for moving on. Especially when you consider Maddon's lack of "tactical skills."
Maddon contract is 5 years.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
So Yankees get killed 16-1 and Severino was late to warmups so his routine was off. But Girardi was too hard on these guys huh? LMAO. Well, enjoy your players coach Yankees.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maddon Saga not quite over...

Rumors are he and the Angels may have mutual interest

Question is will Theo allow him to interview for that job and if he does then we all know Maddon gone

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Maddon Saga not quite over...

Rumors are he and the Angels may have mutual interest

Question is will Theo allow him to interview for that job and if he does then we all know Maddon gone

I haven't seen any solid source back any of that up. It seems farfetched.