IST: Cubs @ Nationals

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I rarely criticize Joe but when you have one guy that close you don’t let him hit. Let’s hope it’s mild. I assume Wilson is the de facto closer?

If you don’t let him hit, he can’t close today.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What I find funny? People bitch that pitchers are treated with kids gloves. They bat and now the manager is a doufus. I can understand you thinking that but dont go the other way.

???

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you don’t let him hit, he can’t close today.

I liked the matchup of LaStella coming in to PH at that point, so I was upset when he let him hit....then I thought maybe he will bunt him and make Wash play some D. Then he took that wild swing and I thought this is not good. Given their problems with RISP and the fact he was running out of pitchers, I can understand the move but it wasn't one I would have made. You gotta believe in your guys although that probably has been a tough thing to do lately.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sad bit is when Morrow comes back it is to replace Edwards. Strop has pretty much locked down the job IMO

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Decided to be a bit stats nerdy.

Brewers remaining schedule
3/3 home/away vs PIT. They are 4-9 vs pit this year
3 home vs CIN(11-5)
3 at STL(8-8)
3 home vs DET(0-0)

Cubs remaining schedule
3 home vs cin(9-7)
3 @ ari(2-2)
3 @ sox(2-1)
4 home vs pit(8-7)
3 home vs STL(7-9)

Those 6 games vs PIT for MIL could be interesting given how they've played them this season. They likely need to play better than .500 ball there since fangraphs pegs the cubs at 94 wins and if they go 3-3 vs PIT they'd have to go 7-2 vs CIN/STL/DET to get to 94 wins and tie. If the cubs get to 94 wins that would have them finishing 9-7 which strikes me as some what conservative given the teams they are playing and how they've played them and the fact that 13 of the 16 games are in the city of chicago. They are finally catching a bit of a break schedule wise there.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
What I find funny? People bitch that pitchers are treated with kids gloves. They bat and now the manager is a doufus. I can understand you thinking that but dont go the other way.

Just curious when exactly you would get angry at Maddon? Does he have to submit a lineup of all pitchers for you to question him?

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Just curious when exactly you would get angry at Maddon? Does he have to submit a lineup of all pitchers for you to question him?

I don't know about SilenceS, but in my terms of reference, you don't become a fan of a sports team so that you can start hunting for the times you can get angry at the <manager, owner, players, pick one or more>.

If what someone gets out of "rooting" for a team is constantly trying to figure out who to scream at when that team is not 100% perfect all the time, I suggest that person is not a fan of the team, but is instead a psychopath looking for ways to express their constant irrational anger.

Explains a lot about many of the posters on this website... ;)

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I don't know about SilenceS, but in my terms of reference, you don't become a fan of a sports team so that you can start hunting for the times you can get angry at the <manager, owner, players, pick one or more>.

If what someone gets out of "rooting" for a team is constantly trying to figure out who to scream at when that team is not 100% perfect all the time, I suggest that person is not a fan of the team, but is instead a psychopath looking for ways to express their constant irrational anger.

Explains a lot about many of the posters on this website... ;)

Anger, screaming, irrational anger? Don’t make up shit that isn’t happening. You might find some of that on the Bears board, but I haven’t observed that here.
My personal take is that there is too much female type sensitivity to any criticism around here.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
I tend to agree but there is nothing wrong with calling out a manager for a boneheaded decision. Message boards are to discuss everything about a particular subject, not just patting each other on the back when everything is going well.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Imagine a world in which Cubs fans miss Pedro Strop.

My favorite yesterday though was on Bleacher Nation when someone, who did not appear to be apt to miss Strop, said "it's not like he's the greatest reliever the Cubs have ever had or anything". Someone then showed him that stats that yes, actually he is the best reliever in Cubs history over a large sample size.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Anger, screaming, irrational anger? Don’t make up shit that isn’t happening. You might find some of that on the Bears board, but I haven’t observed that here.
My personal take is that there is too much female type sensitivity to any criticism around here.

I was thinking mostly of the Bears board, which is why I said "this website" and not "this forum".

As for your careful wording, why not just start expressing your own irrational anger and start screaming "******" at everyone here who have better English skills, and a more refined understanding of the world than "I can beat the shit out of you so you suck" mentality, than you? You know you want to do it, and we all know you'd only be doing it because of your neuroses.. :D

I'm completely hetero by the way, just in case you've already made up your mind the opposite way. Thanks for playing our game.

EDIT -- ah, I see, the forum wouldn't let you use that word. Well, that's a good thing. Too much hate speak in the world, bad to see it on a sports discussion board. WHICH SHOULD NEVER BE ABOUT HATE OR ANGER.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
"Fans" have been critiquing teams since Rome and the Colosseum. Fans have the right to voice their opinion when they want by virtue of paying for tickets or viewing advertisement. When MLB is totally free to the fans, then talk to me about curtailing free speech. Just like any other product in the world, it is open to review

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why would I get angry at a Cubs game? I’m a grown adult here chad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I tend to agree but there is nothing wrong with calling out a manager for a boneheaded decision. Message boards are to discuss everything about a particular subject, not just patting each other on the back when everything is going well.

Or showing up when they lose? Amirite?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

So, you think it’s sensitivity when someone disagrees with your opinion?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Fans" have been critiquing teams since Rome and the Colosseum. Fans have the right to voice their opinion when they want by virtue of paying for tickets or viewing advertisement. When MLB is totally free to the fans, then talk to me about curtailing free speech. Just like any other product in the world, it is open to review

I’m gonna butter your bread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Imagine a world in which Cubs fans miss Pedro Strop.

I was put off by the cap but if it was strait it would be knocked off every pitch by his delivery. Just a thing with him.

But over all he came in this year in the best shape of his life.

Stepped up to a job that everyone thought was going to Edwards.

I saw him as a guy with a plus slider before this year. Right now I see him as a bargain and looking at a payday if the Cubs let him walk.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am just sick of getting shut up so many times over the Maddon nut huggers that when he clearly fucks up and it is clearly something we will remember while Cishek is blowing saves, one game might have cost the division.

Looking back, he planned to throw Strop for some 40 pitches and have him get 8 outs after he only ever got 6. I guess he was seeing if he could ride him hard like he did Chapman in the playoffs. Of course, it wont be Maddons fault if the Brewers pass us.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I am just sick of getting shut up so many times over the Maddon nut huggers that when he clearly fucks up and it is clearly something we will remember while Cishek is blowing saves, one game might have cost the division.

Looking back, he planned to throw Strop for some 40 pitches and have him get 8 outs after he only ever got 6. I guess he was seeing if he could ride him hard like he did Chapman in the playoffs. Of course, it wont be Maddons fault if the Brewers pass us.

Most people I know disagreed with the decision. It was unfortunate but Joe, like the rest of us, is human. The pressure to win that game was intense. A lot of times in those circumstances Joe just lets the game go and comes back the next day to try to win again, but many of his critics don't like that approach either thinking that each game is sacrosanct. Truth be told, while I don't believe in "must win" games that aren't playoff elimination games, yesterday was as close to one as you get. So most of us disagreed with the call, all of are upset at what happened afterwards yet you want stay stupid shit about people who generally the best manager this team has ever had. Should we put him in front of the firing squad and shoot him?