IST: Cubs @ Nationals

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
cubs-nationals-1038x500.jpg

Nationals Park- Washington, DC

9/6 6:05 PM CDT

Hendricks (11-10, 3.07 ERA) vs Strasburg (7-7, 4.09 ERA)

9/8 2:05 PM CDT

Garcia (3-6, 5.93 ERA) vs Scherzer (16-6, 2.28 ERA)

9/8 6:05 PM CDT

Hamels (9-9, 3.67 ERA) vs TBD

9/13 3:05 PM CDT

Montgomery (4-5, 3.85 ERA) vs Ross 0-0(--- ERA)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So apropos of nothing, Q's last 4 starts have been really good. He's got a 2.38/2.75 ERA/FIP with 7.1 k/9 and a 3.2 bb/9 while giving up a .217/.293/.280 triple slash. I'm not sure that's quite where he was when he was great with the sox but his seasonal walk rate is almost a full walk higher than that. So, he appears to be finding his footing.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
So apropos of nothing, Q's last 4 starts have been really good. He's got a 2.38/2.75 ERA/FIP with 7.1 k/9 and a 3.2 bb/9 while giving up a .217/.293/.280 triple slash. I'm not sure that's quite where he was when he was great with the sox but his seasonal walk rate is almost a full walk higher than that. So, he appears to be finding his footing.

One could wish it would take less than five months of regular season play to do so...

Isn't "finding your footing" usually what players do during spring training...? :(

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
One could wish it would take less than five months of regular season play to do so...

Isn't "finding your footing" usually what players do during spring training...? :(

Performance isn't linear. It's more a sin wave of peaks and valleys. And while sure it'd be nice if he was great all year if you're going to pick a time to start pitching well right before the playoff starts isn't a bad time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Performance isn't linear. It's more a sin wave of peaks and valleys. And while sure it'd be nice if he was great all year if you're going to pick a time to start pitching well right before the playoff starts isn't a bad time.

It happened after Lester improved. Hickey noticed a flaw with Jon and he got back on the horse. So I’m assuming that he figured Q also with the improvements after. Either that or he picked Hamels’ brain and took some with him. Happens

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Players aren't robots and they have outlier seasons. Quintana was one of the most consistent performers for several years. He hit a rough patch early with the Sox last year, was up and down but mostly up as a Cub last year and this year struggled some. It happens. I don't see attrition or injury just a statistical outlier.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Players aren't robots and they have outlier seasons. Quintana was one of the most consistent performers for several years. He hit a rough patch early with the Sox last year, was up and down but mostly up as a Cub last year and this year struggled some. It happens. I don't see attrition or injury just a statistical outlier.

Not so sure I agree with this....even with the Sox he threw too many pitches which gets him into hitter's counts and leads to walks. I guess we won't know for a couple of years but at this point it appears that the Cubs wildly overpaid for him.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Schwarber sitting with Stras on the mound, maybe he did hurt his back.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Not so sure I agree with this....even with the Sox he threw too many pitches which gets him into hitter's counts and leads to walks. I guess we won't know for a couple of years but at this point it appears that the Cubs wildly overpaid for him.

Never had a BB/9 over 3 until this year and most years quite a bit better than that. His WAR was no lower than 3.5 for a 5 year stretch until this year and most years right around 5.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I don't know Almora's post All Star numbers but I Imagine they are pretty bad.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Almora just has not hit in big spots in sooooo long. I keep waiting for that to change, but it hasn’t.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Never had a BB/9 over 3 until this year and most years quite a bit better than that. His WAR was no lower than 3.5 for a 5 year stretch until this year and most years right around 5.

I honestly couldn't care less about statistics, certainly not metrics....I go by what I see and while it wasn't a large percentage of his games, the games I saw were no different than what we're seeing now. High pitch counts and hitters sitting on 2-1, 3-1 pitches, with Harrelson constantly bitching about the umpires.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Anyone think Gore makes the playoff roster?

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Who is the genius that bullied 55 off the board? Say you are sorry damn it.
He’d have told CEJ to go change his diaper and s big hell yeah from CJW.
Now. Nada. This place is like going to a bachelor party at a retirement home.
Let’s talk some stats only after the game. Yay.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't know Almora's post All Star numbers but I Imagine they are pretty bad.
Hitting .221 in 2nd half of season. .319 in first half with .357 OBA. 2nd half OBA is .270. He needs to ride the pine and be strictly a late inning defensive replacement.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Couple of huge one’s tonight for AA. No surprise statistically speaking. He was due to get back to his expected avg/mean/whatever.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hitting .221 in 2nd half of season. .319 in first half with .357 OBA. 2nd half OBA is .270. He needs to ride the pine and be strictly a late inning defensive replacement.

That's what he needed....Parade to light a fire under his ass. Your next target should be Caratini....guys friggin useless with a bat in his hand.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That's what he needed....Parade to light a fire under his ass. Your next target should be Caratini....guys friggin useless with a bat in his hand.
Yeah. I thought they called him up to showcase for a trade. As a switch hitter, he needs to turn on the switch.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah. I thought they called him up to showcase for a trade. As a switch hitter, he needs to turn on the switch.

I'd take my chances with this stubby little guy Davis....not much pop but makes contact which always at least gives you chance.