My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
At $340M, Harper would cripple this team financially and be the most overrated player in the league.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maybe it just as simple as some of these hitters just aren't as good as some thought they were

Potent

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Maybe it just as simple as some of these hitters just aren't as good as some thought they were

Potent

We aren’t comparing to perception. We are comparing to performance until recently.

They are the top scoring team in the NL. Nobody is dreaming that up.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
We aren’t comparing to perception. We are comparing to performance until recently.

They are the top scoring team in the NL. Nobody is dreaming that up.

They were a top scoring team for 3 months, not so much now..
It been longer then just recent

They went from Avg 5.04 RPG first 81
To 3.51 RPG next 68

That a huge dropoff over a long stretch, even with a couple injured players ..

They went from leading by a solid margin to now tied for 5th with Cardinals , and the Dodgers Reds Brewers having a slight chance to catch them....

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

To 3.51 RPG next 68

They went from leading by a solid margin to now tied for 5th with Cardinals , and the Dodgers Reds Brewers having a slight chance to catch them....

It is a huge dropoff, they've gone from 106 wRC+ in the first half to 90 wRC+ in the 2nd, but I think you're underselling the injuries. Bryant may not have the SLG he's had in the past due to the shoulder but he gives you a quality AB nearly every time up. Oddly enough so do Heyward and Schwarber and that's huge. Not underselling the fact tht some of the guys simply aren't getting it done but there's more nuance than that. I'll be shocked if the addition of some of these guys back in the lineup don't give a boost to this offense.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Maybe they need to reevaluate after the season if they need to make another change at the hitting instructor position.

Its past that, these guys clearly do not want to listen to anyone. It seems like this team is just satisfied waiting for the shift to be banned.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It is a huge dropoff, they've gone from 106 wRC+ in the first half to 90 wRC+ in the 2nd, but I think you're underselling the injuries. Bryant may not have the SLG he's had in the past due to the shoulder but he gives you a quality AB nearly every time up. Oddly enough so do Heyward and Schwarber and that's huge. Not underselling the fact tht some of the guys simply aren't getting it done but there's more nuance than that. I'll be shocked if the addition of some of these guys back in the lineup don't give a boost to this offense.

The other aspect of this is that it's dominos. By not having Bryant for a long time they had to rely on Bote heavily.... then Russell gets hurt so they had to use more of their bench. Then Heyward and Schwarber go down....etc. So, it's not just that you're losing the guys who get hurt but you're also putting more on the plate of those who are healthy which runs them down.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the Cubs have no offense again? This team stands no chance in the playoffs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So the Cubs have no offense again? This team stands no chance in the playoffs.

Flaws get exploited in series. Going in the Cubs have the best starting 4 in the NL. Closer is the first exploit. Getting Morrow back closer that issue. Fact Joe is testing Maples right now also could factor. Wilson getting his ERA under 3.00 also factors. Strop returning would make it a league best pen.

The biggest issue has been injuries. The line up is flawed outside of that for sure.

Contreras has been a major drop from last year. That has been a major factor and IMO having a strong back up would help by getting him more days off. By far the most used catcher in the game.

Lead off have been a void sense they let Fowler walk. Rizzo has been the most competent. Rest train wrecks. Now going all in with Rizzo only works if Schwarber hits his potential. Bacically a 140 wRC+ guy every year. Then the point becomes moot. He still could become that guy but he would have to start opening up the whole field.

But I see it as if your best hitter has a 6% walk rate and a .330 OBA then there is something wrong. Nothing against Baez here. He is what he is but the fact that he is the best says that the rest are in off seasons.

Even then Zobrist is the best hitter on the team but I do respect OBA more.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

To 3.51 RPG next 68

I don’t care about somebody “catching them”. My point is that they were #1 before losing their MVP, so it wasn’t a matter of fans delusionally believing they were good offensively as you suggested.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At $340M, Harper would cripple this team financially and be the most overrated player in the league.

There are a lot of people who believe this is true, right now....before the pay day.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
There are a lot of people who believe this is true, right now....before the pay day.

Where are the hundreds of millions they are putting towards the renovation going to go when that is done? So they only show a 150 million dollar profit instead of a 225 million profit at the end of the year getting in the tax.

The money should not be the question although I know all you accountants want it to be, the question is does adding Harper get you to multiple world series titles.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Ya know I really am on the fence with this.

One hand he put up a 9.3 WAR. Ok that is Trout teratory and that potential is there every year.

Other hand: it is not a evey year thing and that is the issue also.

Is he worth 340 mil. No. He is a power bat that put up 1/3 of his war total in 1 year that his D factored Little in.

So looking forward: IMO he is a DH in waiting. And paying a DH 34 mil per is unheard of. You take away his 1 super man year and he has been a 3.5 WAR player. I just don’t see any justification for that pay off.

Right now he is Heyward. You are looking at the O only. But if you look at the D Heyward is top 5 and Harper is negative value every year.

Eventually the loss outweighs the gains.

25 mil per tops. He wants more he better accept a shorter contract.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where are the hundreds of millions they are putting towards the renovation going to go when that is done? So they only show a 150 million dollar profit instead of a 225 million profit at the end of the year getting in the tax.

The money should not be the question although I know all you accountants want it to be, the question is does adding Harper get you to multiple world series titles.

Basketball is the only sport that one player puts you over. Saying, baseball or football is one player away is non sense and dumb.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Basketball is the only sport that one player puts you over. Saying, baseball or football is one player away is non sense and dumb.

You don't think Trout leading off for the Cubs would out them over the top?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Trout debuted in 2011. In the 8 seasons he's played the Angels have won 90 games once(2014) and that was the only year they've made the playoffs. Case in point one player doesn't make a team. In fact, there's are large contingent of people who would suggest having the best player in baseball is actually an albatross. This is the entire argument behind when ARod played in texas. Because they had to pay him so much money they couldn't build a team around him. The situation is arguably worse now given there was no luxury tax in 2001.

As this pertains to the Harper conversation, simply put I'd sign Machado before Harper. He gives you more positional flexibility and he's someone who'll hit for a high average rather than slugging. Plus if you keep Russell(I would as previously mentioned a bunch) you have literally 4 gold glove caliber infielders. Bryant probably plays better defensively in the OF though he's not necessarily bad at 3B either. But that's kind of a gift because it's another versatile guy incase of injury. I mean I am not sure I'd want Bryant starting in CF every day but joe has played him there before and if any of the infielders goes down they can shuffle around guys with Bryant taking 3B or even 1B if Rizzo is hurt.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

It would be a slight increase in chance to win. I believe you haven’t watched much baseball or are completely trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk