Illinois Football Thread

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
People actually care about this shit team still?

Lolollollololololll ol llll

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting IL on track like Alvarez did at Wisconsin is doable. Start getting 6-6 and 7-5 and go from there. He can do that the first 2-3 years

Just to review Lovie's first three years to date:
3-9 (W's Murray St, Rutgers, Mich St.)
2-10 (W's Ball St, W. Kentucky)
3-3(W's Kent St, Western Ill, Rutgers)

8-21 overall
0-3 vs PURDUE
50% of his wins are over FCS teams/Rutgers

Parade_Rain;2568066 in Sept of 2016 said:
They don't have the talent on this roster to do much more than 6-6. The back end of the defense is suspect. A bowl, any bowl, would be a very successful year. And BTW, even though the UNC game did not go the Illini's way, they did have a 4 star recruit visiting in Sold Out Memorial Stadium.

It took Lovie until his third year to get to 6 wins for his career at Illinois. Cumulativewins.com Bowl?

Adam Rittenberg ESPN Staff Writer
Illinois is hiring Louisville's Garrick McGee as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, a source told ESPN. McGee held the same title at Louisville the past two seasons. Although the move is lateral in title, it gives McGee the chance to operate his own offense under a defensive-minded head coach. New Illini coach Lovie Smith helped recruit McGee to Arizona State as a quarterback when Smith was an ASU assistant in the early 1990s. McGee has experience both in the league and in the state after serving as Northwestern's offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from 2006-07. It will be interesting to see how Bobby Petrino replaces McGee at such a late date, but Petrino's own ability to to call and operate the offense is a big plus.
Now, this is a fantastic hire. Great recruiter. Also what Rittenberg doesn't say is that McGee eventually transferred and graduated from Oklahoma. Stoops/OK tried to lure McGee away last season and couldn't do it. Lovie just got a job done that Stoops couldn't. I guess Lovie has been out of the college game too long. Whoops!

Fired after two seasons.

Parade_Rain;2568149 in Sept 2016 said:
It won't be more than a couple of years before Illinois is competing for first place in B1G West.

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

8-21 overall
0-3 vs PURDUE

It took Lovie until his third year to get to 6 wins for his career at Illinois. Cumulativewins.com Bowl?

Fired after two seasons.
You do know Lovie isn't going anywhere until at least the end of 2019, right? For supposedly being a different poster becoming a mod, it's extremely unusual for leopards to change their spots. You may be right about Lovie, but I'm right about you, which is more important.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do know Lovie isn't going anywhere until at least the end of 2019, right? For supposedly being a different poster becoming a mod, it's extremely unusual for leopards to change their spots. You may be right about Lovie, but I'm right about you, which is more important.

But, you really aren't because you continued to claim that my opinions on Lovie were incorrect when..well basically all of them have come true so far. You can't really be "right" about me when your entire read on me and my predictions were incorrect.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beason announced yesterday he was canceling his remaining official visits.

And now got a strong verbal from Isaiah Williams, consensus national top 40 player from StL. Times are a changin in Champaign.

Beason will be a good one to watch as the classes wind down.

I'd really watch LSU closely. He visited over the summer and is a take for LSU if they have a spot open up. LSU's class at the back end is influx right now with them trying to load up along the lines. If LSU loses a CB from their verbals now I'd be wary of Beason sticking with Illinois. Stingly rejoining the LSU class helps Illinois here.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

The cringe is strong in this one.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are fun to rebuild in NCAA 14 with the 18/19 rosters from OS

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
But, you really aren't because you continued to claim that my opinions on Lovie were incorrect when..well basically all of them have come true so far. You can't really be "right" about me when your entire read on me and my predictions were incorrect.
Oh, but I can. You have an incessant need to stir shit. As for Lovie Smith, he was a great hire. Cubit was completely unacceptable. The U of I got essentially 2 free years of Smith as HC thanks to Tampa Bay. Lovie checked a lot of boxes, including the first AA HC hire in any of the revenue sports. The offense this year has been very good, even with a 5th year who doesn't read the passing game very well and a Freshman backup who can fling it. The OL is greatly improved and has 1 senior on the starting 5. He made the change at OC. If he is smart, he will make a change at DC. 1/31/19 the buyout lowers to $4 mil, which means the buyout is less than he's getting paid. 2019 will be it, if significant progress isn't made. Where Lovie Smith messed up was the scorched earth method of getting rid of the upper classmen. Many of his issues with lack of discipline in the program come from playing freshman over the guys who were already there. Too much attrition. No senior leadership. His method in year three essentially has him sending a Juco squad out against full-sized Big Ten squads. There are only 8 seniors on the roster. Of course that's a self-inflicted wound for him. It appears Frost is doing somewhat the same thing at Nebraska. I'm more than happy to let things play out one more year. If there are changes on the D side of the coaching staff that are as positive as the hire of Rod Smith at OC, the team could be very competitive. When he misses a bowl game after next season and is let go, I'll be more than happy to eat crow. In the mean time your post makes you look like a teenager prematurely ejaculating from excitement.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have an incessant need to stir shit.
Sorry for discussing Lovie Smith's coaching tenure in the Lovie Smith coaching thread.

As for Lovie Smith, he was a great hire.

8-21 overall
0-3 vs PURDUE

Cubit was completely unacceptable.
This isn't binary.

Cubit was terrible. That doesn't mean Lovie is a great hire. Lovie can be better than Cubit but still not a great hire...or even a good one.

Logic has never been your strong suit.

The U of I got essentially 2 free years of Smith as HC thanks to Tampa Bay.
This rationalization is amazing. Did Cliff Stein take over as the Illinois AD? Illinois didn't get Smith for free. They paid him millions of dollars to coach. In fact, you were bragging in the beginning about how much Illinois paid Smith as a show of how much they care because they paid him so much...even going as far to bring up Ast Coach payments.

Lovie checked a lot of boxes, including the first AA HC hire in any of the revenue sports.
Too bad the "Good Hire" box went unchecked. That's the most important one.

The offense this year has been very good
Illinois is 86th in the entire country in total offense. 87th in YPG. Tied for 94th in PPG. 76th in Yards Per Play

:aj:

1/31/19 the buyout lowers to $4 mil
Why should the buyout matter in another year if the last two years have been free? Illinois already has money in the bank on this one!

Two sentences ago: "Love Smith has basically been free for two years..."
Now: "Illinois can't really divest themselves of Lovie Smith until January of 2019 due to cost concerns."

Where Lovie Smith messed up was the scorched earth method of getting rid of the upper classmen.
Which you were always thinking was a positive. "These young guys playing will help so much in a couple of years!"

t are as positive as the hire of Rod Smith at OC
Please review the offensive rankings.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Oh, but I can. You have an incessant need to stir shit. As for Lovie Smith, he was a great hire. Cubit was completely unacceptable. The U of I got essentially 2 free years of Smith as HC thanks to Tampa Bay. Lovie checked a lot of boxes, including the first AA HC hire in any of the revenue sports. The offense this year has been very good, even with a 5th year who doesn't read the passing game very well and a Freshman backup who can fling it. The OL is greatly improved and has 1 senior on the starting 5. He made the change at OC. If he is smart, he will make a change at DC. 1/31/19 the buyout lowers to $4 mil, which means the buyout is less than he's getting paid. 2019 will be it, if significant progress isn't made. Where Lovie Smith messed up was the scorched earth method of getting rid of the upper classmen. Many of his issues with lack of discipline in the program come from playing freshman over the guys who were already there. Too much attrition. No senior leadership. His method in year three essentially has him sending a Juco squad out against full-sized Big Ten squads. There are only 8 seniors on the roster. Of course that's a self-inflicted wound for him. It appears Frost is doing somewhat the same thing at Nebraska. I'm more than happy to let things play out one more year. If there are changes on the D side of the coaching staff that are as positive as the hire of Rod Smith at OC, the team could be very competitive. When he misses a bowl game after next season and is let go, I'll be more than happy to eat crow. In the mean time your post makes you look like a teenager prematurely ejaculating from excitement.

HA HA HA HA HA!

Who knew that being wrong about something as trivial as Lovie Smith could lead to the ultimate CCS posting?

Hopefully CCS has gotten essentially 2 free years of your posting. What is your buyout?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to review from the above.

Reasons Lovie Smith was a great hire:
-Bill Cubit sucked
-Lovie Smith is black
-Lovie coached for "free"

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Just to review from the above.

Reasons Lovie Smith was a great hire:
-Bill Cubit sucked
-Lovie Smith is black
-Lovie coached for "free"
And yet you've been unearthed and a mod for more than 2 weeks. You didn't post your typical schtick after Illinois was beating PSU in the 3rd quarter? You didn't post this after they beat Rutgers? Bye, Felicia.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And yet you've been unearthed and a mod for more than 2 weeks. You didn't post your typical schtick after Illinois was beating PSU in the 3rd quarter? You didn't post this after they beat Rutgers? Bye, Felicia.

Sorry I didn't post after a 39 point Illinois loss. I've come in here before and posted positive things about Smith after (rare) wins(Mich St, Rutgers) and recruiting wins.

Why would I post after a win over Rutgers in 2018? That's kind of expected at this point. If it's not, good grief. I really shouldn't have to say much.

Sadly, I was really viewing Purdue as a litmus test game for progress. Confidence, even cautious confidence, was around and I expected a better performance and was really viewing this is a winnable game and a data point for how the team was moving forward. Purdue and Illinois were supposed to be two programs kind of on the come up this year and even heading into the game. Illinois was boat raced.

The terrible Bill Cubit beat Purdue by 4 TD's in his time as HC.

Smith is now 0-3 against them and has been outscored 109-48

Not sure what your issue is. You've been wrong about pretty much everything in the last few posts. Perhaps the most egregious is your viewing of the Illinois offense as "very good."

Last edited:

kapooncha

Liked Posts:

This is a joke right? Rutgers is the worst team in D1 and I didn't realize they handed out trophies for leading in the 3rd Q.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I am amazed that your college football postings are somehow worse than your baseball postings. This past week Rutgers went 2-17 with 5 INTs in the passing game...even Nathan Peterman laughs at those numbers. Gimme a break.