Illinois Football Thread

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
What is the logic giving Lovie an extension, is it to show stability to the recruits? I was shocked to hear they extended him. Reminded me a little of when Emery gave Cutler that multi year joke of a contract.

Pretty much. All the "amazing" recruits that we've got coming in. We surely don't want to lose our 12th ranked recruiting class in the Big 10. My God, then we'd be really screwed.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty much. All the "amazing" recruits that we've got coming in. We surely don't want to lose our 12th ranked recruiting class in the Big 10. My God, then we'd be really screwed.

I'm well aware they aren't getting players.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not written by me, WorstTimer. I was actually irritated he considered losing to Northwestern as progress, considering NW vanilla game plan and resting of many starters. While the letter may have been necessary, he was way too rah rah in his attempt to show progress.

LastTimer makes more sense.

Do better.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
WorstTimer makes all kinds of sense. It even rhymes with your moniker.
But it has nothing to do with the first part of it.

As usual you're terrible. Too bad you can't ignore my posts now...not that you ever did...because you have zero self control.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Former Illinois target Jeff Thomas has left the Miami Hurricanes program. He was clashing with Richt and having grade issues.

Think Lovie can get him here and actually qualify him?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
But it has nothing to do with the first part of it.

As usual you're terrible. Too bad you can't ignore my posts now...not that you ever did...because you have zero self control.
WorstTimer claiming he would be different as a mod. LOL. #calledit

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The irony of ParadeRain bragging that he "calledit" in this Illinois football thread is high irony.

:aj:

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I told you guys yrs ago the administration didn't care about being good in football.

Are you finally understanding I was right AGAIN?

The administration is fine with 5-8 wins (3 against toothless OOC opponents) yearly and no scandals with a respectable coach like Lovie.

FTR, I like Lovie, but this extension is basically an open endorsement of mediocrity or worse.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I told you guys yrs ago the administration didn't care about being good in football.

The administration is fine with 5-8 wins (3 against toothless OOC opponents) yearly and no scandals with a respectable coach like Lovie.

FTR, I like Lovie, but this extension is basically an open endorsement of mediocrity or worse.

We didn't have 5 wins though.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Anyways, it's my feeling that paying college athletes (other than it being the right thing to do, imo) would seem to give a boost to P5 schools who've had success similar to Illinois. At least, that's a hunch I have.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

You've never been right. Ever.

How is the administration ok with Lovie if the standard is 5-8 wins a year and Lovie has 9 wins in three years?

If you "like Lovie" your entire position is laughable.

Lovie has been an abject failure as Illinois head coach.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyways, it's my feeling that paying college athletes (other than it being the right thing to do, imo) would seem to give a boost to P5 schools who've had success similar to Illinois. At least, that's a hunch I have.

I think the faulty assumption is two fold though. I think Illinois would funnel any money to pay students into basketball, and we are assuming the same fundraising levels as we have right now being dispersed. Could you imagine the type of money OSU, Michigan, Alabama, ND, etc could fund raise to pay football players?

How would Illinois get a boost? Basically it would boost them past the Purdue's and Indiana's of the conference?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
You've never been right. Ever.

How is the administration ok with Lovie if the standard is 5-8 wins a year and Lovie has 9 wins in three years?

If you "like Lovie" your entire position is laughable.

Lovie has been an abject failure as Illinois head coach.

If I was a fan of another B10 team, I'd be a huge Lovie supporter as well.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
If I was a fan of another B10 team, I'd be a huge Lovie supporter as well.

I remember when Michigan basketball would routinely make the Final Four, then for reasons unknown they let Tommy Amaker run the program immediately into the ground and stay onboard for 6 years. Every other B10 basketball program benefited from this.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
What is the logic giving Lovie an extension, is it to show stability to the recruits? I was shocked to hear they extended him. Reminded me a little of when Emery gave Cutler that multi year joke of a contract. It was definitely a WTF moment for me.

I can almost understand the extension (who else wants the job?), but I don't understand the timing. 63-0 is too near in the memory. Wait until after the bowl season and quietly extend Lovie.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think the faulty assumption is two fold though. I think Illinois would funnel any money to pay students into basketball, and we are assuming the same fundraising levels as we have right now being dispersed. Could you imagine the type of money OSU, Michigan, Alabama, ND, etc could fund raise to pay football players?

How would Illinois get a boost? Basically it would boost them past the Purdue's and Indiana's of the conference?

My assumption is based on the premise that all schools would be paying equal. It'd be much easier for Western Michigan to shut down football than try to keep up with the Joneses. I also operate under the assumption that players are somehow getting paid already, so if you take that portion of it out, it makes things somewhat more equal.