Illinois Football Thread

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I remember when Michigan basketball would routinely make the Final Four, then for reasons unknown they let Tommy Amaker run the program immediately into the ground and stay onboard for 6 years. Every other B10 basketball program benefited from this.

Amaker was awful. Still amazed that he took Seton Hall to a Sweet 16. Everyone makes the S16 once now besides the Illini, or so it seems

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Have to say my weekend is much more relaxing not having to watch an Illini football game.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
How's your coaching idol Lovie performing so far? Up to your expectations?
Right on this very page there is a post that says "Lovie has been an abject failure as Illinois head coach." I agreed with that statement by saying "So far". Pretty lazy distraction on your part.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Right on this very page there is a post that says "Lovie has been an abject failure as Illinois head coach." I agreed with that statement by saying "So far". Pretty lazy distraction on your part.

There is no "so far." Lovie is done. I suspect he's gone into hibernation for the winter.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There is no "so far." Lovie is done. I suspect he's gone into hibernation for the winter.
Lovie Smith buyout is $12 mil. He isn't going into hibernation in the Winter. Nobody walks away from $12 mil. Nobody.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Lovie Smith buyout is $12 mil. He isn't going into hibernation in the Winter. Nobody walks away from $12 mil. Nobody.

You misunderstood. He's in hibernation but we are still paying him. He will probably surface for spring practice.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You misunderstood. He's in hibernation but we are still paying him. He will probably surface for spring practice.
More silliness. He has 2 coaches to hire, including a DC, and they are busy offering and getting visits from players right now.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I cannot communicate how much I enjoy your postings about Lovie Smith's personal finances. You should really think about becoming a sports agent (if you are not already one).

First, U of Illinois got two "free years" of Lovie' services because even though they signed Lovie to a contract, Lovie was still being paid by Tampa Bay! Now that Tampa Bay stopped paying Lovie thus forcing Illinois to offer Lovie an 'extension' (wink, wink), if Lovie doesn't accomplish anything this winter apparently Illinois can simply not pay him! With the end result being Illinois received 3 years of (subpar) head coaching services from Lovie Smith while not paying him a dime!

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Khalil Tate rumored to be heading to Illinois. Interesting.

What the hell ever happened to Cam Thomas? Where is he transferring to? Kid dropped off the face of the Earth after he left.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Urban Meyer is going to be available. That $12 million doesn't seem so much now.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I cannot communicate how much I enjoy your postings about Lovie Smith's personal finances. You should really think about becoming a sports agent (if you are not already one).

First, U of Illinois got two "free years" of Lovie' services because even though they signed Lovie to a contract, Lovie was still being paid by Tampa Bay! Now that Tampa Bay stopped paying Lovie thus forcing Illinois to offer Lovie an 'extension' (wink, wink), if Lovie doesn't accomplish anything this winter apparently Illinois can simply not pay him! With the end result being Illinois received 3 years of (subpar) head coaching services from Lovie Smith while not paying him a dime!
That's not what I've heard. The extension gave another year. The buyout numbers haven't essentially changed. ($4 mil after next season). Where have you heard they don't have to pay him? This Winter he has to do something or they let him go and saddle a new Head Coach without the ability to recruit his first class? Barring something extraordinary, that isn't going to happen.