CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Let's hope that 5 runs starts to be the norm the rest of the way, too. Starting pitching is getting there. Bats get on a roll at the right time and they could do damage in the playoffs. Also of note: the top 3 teams in the NL Central are almost assuredly playoff teams. The toughest division in the NL this year.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Nice to see Hendricks step up, pitch great and save the pen. Now if we could get that consistency from him and others.

As for the playoffs, unless we get super hot here at the end, I'm not crazy confident we can contend, even though the other NL teams are not that scary to face. Maybe the Brewers? They've owned us lately.

Let's just hope we get a team hot streak all the way to October.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's hope that 5 runs starts to be the norm the rest of the way, too. Starting pitching is getting there. Bats get on a roll at the right time and they could do damage in the playoffs. Also of note: the top 3 teams in the NL Central are almost assuredly playoff teams. The toughest division in the NL this year.

Nope, it’s a poor division because I think so. The Cubs were lucky to be in that division because they would have lost the division lead if not. Don’t mind the best record in NL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Nice to see Hendricks step up, pitch great and save the pen. Now if we could get that consistency from him and others.

As for the playoffs, unless we get super hot here at the end, I'm not crazy confident we can contend, even though the other NL teams are not that scary to face. Maybe the Brewers? They've owned us lately.

Let's just hope we get a team hot streak all the way to October.

Barring something crazy the Cubs are going to enter the playoffs as the overwhelming favorites to represent the NL in the WS. They have the best rotation by far with Lester, Hendricks, Hamels and Quintana and if Morrow and Strop are healthy they have the best pen as well even if they don't have the kind of overwhelming pen harm that Hader is. Some of the other teams have a nice 1-2 in the rotation but are iffy after that. Atlanta has Foltynewicz and Newcomb and maybe you include Teheran but they'll all inexperienced even if that last one is a veteran. LA has Kershaw and Beuhler which is nice on paper but given Buehler's inexperience and some of kershaw's playoff struggles hardly a sure thing and the what? Rich Hill? Colorado has a good 1-2 in Freeland and Gray, but again, inexperienced. Milwaukee goes 4 deep but can you really compare Chacin, Anderson, Miley and Gonzales to our 4 guys? That would be no. The bats need to produce of course but they don't need to carry the day and offense rarely does in the playoffs. My best guess is that we face Atlanta in the NLCS and go on to face Cleveland for the rematch.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Barring something crazy the Cubs are going to enter the playoffs as the overwhelming favorites to represent the NL in the WS. They have the best rotation by far with Lester, Hendricks, Hamels and Quintana and if Morrow and Strop are healthy they have the best pen as well even if they don't have the kind of overwhelming pen harm that Hader is. Some of the other teams have a nice 1-2 in the rotation but are iffy after that. Atlanta has Foltynewicz and Newcomb and maybe you include Teheran but they'll all inexperienced even if that last one is a veteran. LA has Kershaw and Beuhler which is nice on paper but given Buehler's inexperience and some of kershaw's playoff struggles hardly a sure thing and the what? Rich Hill? Colorado has a good 1-2 in Freeland and Gray, but again, inexperienced. Milwaukee goes 4 deep but can you really compare Chacin, Anderson, Miley and Gonzales to our 4 guys? That would be no. The bats need to produce of course but they don't need to carry the day and offense rarely does in the playoffs. My best guess is that we face Atlanta in the NLCS and go on to face Cleveland for the rematch.

I agree with most all of your points 100% here. But what makes you think Cleveland comes out of the ALCS and not Boston? Mariners Syndrome?

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Boston has to be the odds fav. I personally think Houston comes out of the AL. When your team has won every thing then the edge is always yours.

At this point I would go Houston/CHC series.

Boston is the 2nd most likely out of the AL. NYY is just don’t see as coming out. Indians are flawed and got by in a pathetic division. They will end up sweped. Might win 1 game...depends on who they match up with. Hou they get ass spanked

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Boston has to be the odds fav. I personally think Houston comes out of the AL. When your team has won every thing then the edge is always yours.

At this point I would go Houston/CHC series.

Boston is the 2nd most likely out of the AL. NYY is just don’t see as coming out. Indians are flawed and got by in a pathetic division. They will end up sweped. Might win 1 game...depends on who they match up with. Hou they get ass spanked

While Cleveland has had some bullpen problems they seem to have turned it around some and I think they're the only team with a bullpen that could be great and their rotation is second only to Houston. Boston is my second favorite team but for them to win Price has to be great and the bullpen has to be a whole lot better. I just think Cleveland could fly under the radar and if Donaldson is Donaldson they'll be in good shape.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
one can argue after seeing last night that their road games are done. That was wrigley west and now fans that cannot afford tickets to wrigley can see them on the south side.

Fair point but I was mainly looking at it from a travel standpoint as that tends to be the reason teams play poorly IMO rather than a rowdy crowd. But like I said you make a good point.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
...Boston is the 2nd most likely out of the AL. NYY is just don’t see as coming out. Indians are flawed and got by in a pathetic division. They will end up sweped. Might win 1 game...depends on who they match up with. Hou they get ass spanked

AL playoffs shape up with Boston playing the winner of the ALWC game, which will be NYY vs. either Oakland or Houston, whichever wins the AL West. Cleveland will play the winner of the AL West, which again will be either Houston or Oakland.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Favorite yes, overwhelming ehhh

I think the Dodgers will be close, especially if they win the Division .
Braves right behind Dodgers, they have a pretty good offense.

I agree about the cubs starting pitching, it the offense i dont trust and they definitely need the good Edwards and a healthy Strop and Morrow, otherwise it could be rough closing out games late.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
apparently morrow's season is over :(

Signals a off season investment. If they trade it will be to get a qualified closer.

As far as this year goes they pretty much have to go with Cishek and Wilson now. Because th have closer experience. Chavez steps into the main mid inning guy and should get support from Montgomery in the play offs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But: wouldn’t it end up a weird ending if Maples just falls into the closer role by circumstances. Seems he is getting some trust built up.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
apparently morrow's season is over :(

It never made any sense for a legitimate title contender to depend on an injury prone player to be the closer. I said that from day 1 of the signing so this isn't a hindsight thing. I hoped all year they would trade for a closer but obviously it didn't happen. Very disappointing.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Signals a off season investment. If they trade it will be to get a qualified closer.

Not sure I see this logic. He's going to be healthy by spring training. I mean it wouldn't shock me if they invest in the bullpen some as I believe wilson is a FA but going specifically after a closer would surprise me. I think you just build more depth and if Morrow gets hurt again so be it. The depth takes care of that with Strop or Edwards closing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Now they need Strop back healthy even more for postseason

Maybe they should gove Allen Webster a look the rest of the way