CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hawks lose 4-2

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Boqvist looked better than Joker did. Kampf was also very noticeable, making me think he is Marcus Krueger 2.0 when Marcus is on this team.

Did not like the PK with Toews, Cat, Saad out there. I really do not know what Kunitz adds to the Toews line.

Does not look like we will get our Sikora twins anytime soon.

This bottom 6 is going to be a tough choice. I just hope Kruger sticks on the 4th line.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Crow will definitely not start the season with the team. I dont know who the backup will for ward. Forsberg showed the same goal sneaking between his leg, Delia might have a better shot, the kid that asked for a trade did not look like much, but it was his first game.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe watch a few games first before there's a declaration of a Sox/Bulls race to last, tank job....

We have:
Toews' game is down. Even though last game last night he appeared to win some board battles that's been a problem in the past 3 years.
No Hossa anymore. Losing a 1st ballot HoF'er and one of the best 3-zone FWDs ever is going to hurt.
Saad is not Hossa. He should be better than last year but his overall game is not there yet.
Our O is compromised of Kane, El Gato, and Schmaltz. No one else, really.
No Hjammer on D. We've lost one of the better defensive defensemen in the league.
Seabrook is old and slow and is approaching Cullimore/Sean O'donnel level. Can't fault him for getting old but that's a hit on the backend. Plus injured.
Rutta is injured.
Murphy is injured.
Gus is injured.
Keith was a medical-waste dumpster fire last year.
Manning last game last night looked like Andrei fucking Zyuzin out there...he's better serve as a traffic pylon.

So, barring Crawford coming back and playing at the Vezina clip he was last year--as in on pace for the best goaltending-year the 'hawks have has since Esposito back in 1972 (A level of play that Ward has never done once in his long career), There's nothing much to be happy about. We're playing with an okay O and a league-bottom D.

The only optimism I can find on this team is seeing the progress of Schmaltz, El Gato, Possibly Jokiharju if he makes the cut, and any other young rookies. The future should be pretty good. Right now though we're paying the cost of a decade of near-dominance.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Manning reminded me of Zyuzin and was caught flat footed on 2 goals.

Given the injuries on D He might see significant time. That worries me. Philly fans have gotta be laughing at that one as payback for us fleecing them out of Sharp.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Boqvist looked better than Joker did. Kampf was also very noticeable, making me think he is Marcus Krueger 2.0 when Marcus is on this team.

Did not like the PK with Toews, Cat, Saad out there. I really do not know what Kunitz adds to the Toews line.

Does not look like we will get our Sikora twins anytime soon.

This bottom 6 is going to be a tough choice. I just hope Kruger sticks on the 4th line.

Joker didn't play last night.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Boqvist was jumping in on the rush in the O zone. Had an A++++ chance off a pass from kaner. Not sure he makes the team, but he did look good out there.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
We have:
Toews' game is down. Even though last game last night he appeared to win some board battles that's been a problem in the past 3 years.
No Hossa anymore. Losing a 1st ballot HoF'er and one of the best 3-zone FWDs ever is going to hurt.
Saad is not Hossa. He should be better than last year but his overall game is not there yet.
Our O is compromised of Kane, El Gato, and Schmaltz. No one else, really.
No Hjammer on D. We've lost one of the better defensive defensemen in the league.
Seabrook is old and slow and is approaching Cullimore/Sean O'donnel level. Can't fault him for getting old but that's a hit on the backend. Plus injured.
Rutta is injured.
Murphy is injured.
Gus is injured.
Keith was a medical-waste dumpster fire last year.
Manning last game last night looked like Andrei fucking Zyuzin out there...he's better serve as a traffic pylon.

So, barring Crawford coming back and playing at the Vezina clip he was last year--as in on pace for the best goaltending-year the 'hawks have has since Esposito back in 1972 (A level of play that Ward has never done once in his long career), There's nothing much to be happy about. We're playing with an okay O and a league-bottom D.

The only optimism I can find on this team is seeing the progress of Schmaltz, El Gato, Possibly Jokiharju if he makes the cut, and any other young rookies. The future should be pretty good. Right now though we're paying the cost of a decade of near-dominance.

They have said Joker has been playing with Keith on the top pair in practice. Dont know if Keith gets a game tonight to see them together, but you gotta think they are looking for 5 more defensemen to start the year with the hawks so playing all of them probably helps.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Pucks on net. Defense.

My analysis of how to win games.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hawks vs Sens GDT 630CDT 730EST

another preseason tilt on hand tonight. Hawks lineup
Dnn5_ivVsAAYYgn.jpg:large

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was talking about the first game, but Joker had a lot less support out there.

And it looks like the same happens tonight--less around Joker.

For Joker though...he's not playing like he's played in Portland. 1st game he looked very conservative (but a bit more solid on the backend then I'me used to seeing), and made outlet passes rather than carrying the mail. He looked good enough but it almost looked like he was intentionally not trying to get into Q's doghouse. That worries me. Boqvist looks like he's in, "Fuck it" mode and just doing what he does. I'm hoping tonight Joker opens his game up more to that which I'm used to seeing and plays it a bit more Leddy/Campbell.

Either way, if all pans out and Boqvist is slot 1 in the future, and Joker is slot 3...we're looking good.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They have said Joker has been playing with Keith on the top pair in practice. Dont know if Keith gets a game tonight to see them together, but you gotta think they are looking for 5 more defensemen to start the year with the hawks so playing all of them probably helps.

I've mentioned before Joker with Keith wories me for the same reason Kieth with Leddy worried me--they play way to similar games. I can see that pairing being caught up ice.

But on the flipside Joker was far more conservative last game and played it well, so I may be worried for nothing in terms of deployment. Development however I'd rather see Joker being the aggressive one, Not Keith. Keith distilled goaltoads last year.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
First period Joker was lost, he got switched with Davidson and started to play better. Definitely wonder if either will make it or they will choose to get another year of control out of them and embrace the suck.

Fun game though, got some physical play, guys that would fit in one of those checking lines if they chose to do it.