Russell's wife opens up about his alleged abuse

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Overreaction?????
The guy been accused twice now of the abuse.
First from the wife best friend last year, which wasn't investigated only because the accusation came from a 3rd party and not the abused (wife).
And now, the wife has come out and accused him of it, so now the situation will be investigated.

You can call me names and crack a joke all you want, but you obviously haven't read into the situation.

There a 99.9% chance that she not going to file charges against him.
Why? Because unless she has actual physical evidence, like photos, medical reports, witnesses etc.
She has no proof that he actually did it.
Doesn't mean he didn't do it, Just makes it hard for them to convict him of it if he did.
So
The alternative was for her to just come out and open up to what happened to her as she did through a blog.
Now it basically becomes whom do you believe her or Addison

We will never know the real truth unless either admits their lying now, but it something that going to be on everyone minds as they deal with Addison going forward...
Did he or didn't he?

So

Unlike Chapman where his situation was over and he served his suspension and he and his girlfriend stayed together, this is fresh and no matter the outcome it not going to be something they (Russell, management , teammates) simply just move on from and continue doing what they do like nothing happened...

Addison going to need time to deal with the situation whether it through justice system and or MLB...

He going to need to get his personal life back in order, get his situation with his kids in order...
Im sure there has to be visitation restrictions and order of protection stuff going on now.

Baseball life for Addison Russell is on a long pause right now and will probably be a while before he can return to it as a normal everyday living.

Why i strongly feel, management will make the decision to move on from him and let him deal with what important....

Hope that helped you and your little friends who thank you and joined in on your assault..

Here an article i saw today...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...bs-addison-russell-future-20180921-story.html

The fresh allegations from Reidy-Russell could convince the Cubs he’s not worth keeping.
Epstein said he contacted MLB after reading Reidy-Russell’s blog late Thursday night, and he and Ricketts spoke to league officials before informing Russell of his status in a face-to-face meeting at their Wrigley Field offices.
In a statement released through the MLB Players Association later, Russell reaffirmed his denial of the allegations: “These allegations are completely false. I made that clear to Major League Baseball last year and reiterated it to the Cubs today. I’m confident any full and fair investigation will fully exonerate me. The protection of my children is foremost in my mind so I will have no further comment. "
Epstein informed the players of Russell’s status and said they take these allegations very seriously.

Not surprisingly, you missed my whole point.

I am not in any way indicating the alleged actions are not worthy of reaction.

What you were overreacting to is the fact that the Cubs' response is to support the investigation. You take that to mean they think he's guilty. That is an overreaction to their message.

It is not a statement that I feel he is not guilty.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

What you were overreacting to is the fact that the Cubs' response is to support the investigation. You take that to mean they think he's guilty. That is an overreaction to their message.

I said 2 words
He Gone....

No mention of guilt or innocence

Just my opinion on what i think will happen to him ..
Based on the article saying Epstein take the allegations seriously, and he support MLB decisio..
Plus other reasons i stated above.

So if anyone had an overreaction, it was you ...
Not surprisingly

Also...
Unless i missed it, has there been anyone from the cubs organization showing support for Addison?
Nope

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I said 2 words
He Gone....

No mention of guilt or innocence

Just my opinion on what i think will happen to him ..
Based on the article saying Epstein take the allegations seriously, and he support MLB decisio..
Plus other reasons i stated above.

So if anyone had an overreaction, it was you ...
Not surprisingly

Also...
Unless i missed it, has there been anyone from the cubs organization showing support for Addison?
Nope

Strong minded people don’t listen to weak minded opinions.

That said the Rickett’s did not get where they are in life by letting allegations dictate their decision process.

It came out that Theo did not want the backlash to smack him in the face so they placed him on admin leave for his protection.

Then you have to concider the MLB player Union. Going off the deep end will most likely be grievanced. I’m Union so I know a little bit of the process.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Strong minded people don’t listen to weak minded opinions.

That said the Rickett’s did not get where they are in life by letting allegations dictate their decision process.

It came out that Theo did not want the backlash to smack him in the face so they placed him on admin leave for his protection.

Then you have to concider the MLB player Union. Going off the deep end will most likely be grievanced. I’m Union so I know a little bit of the process.

MLB placed him on administrative leave pending investigation, not Epstein. Epstein just supporting their decision to do so.

How many allegations have the Ricketts faced in their lives that they didn't let dictate their decisions?
Im interested in knowing what they have overlooked to become successful millionaires.
Im guessing you followed their lives to make that statement

Not sure how a union can grieve making a baseball decision with releasing or trading someone in the offseason ..
Not like Addison under contract and the cubs are looking to use the allegation to break that contract ..

So, doubt very much the union gets involved with that situation, Mr. Union Man....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
MLB placed him on administrative leave pending investigation, not Epstein. Epstein just supporting their decision to do so.

How many allegations have the Ricketts faced in their lives that they didn't let dictate their decisions?
Im interested in knowing what they have overlooked to become successful millionaires.
Im guessing you followed their lives to make that statement

Not sure how a union can grieve making a baseball decision with releasing or trading someone in the offseason ..
Not like Addison under contract and the cubs are looking to use the allegation to break that contract ..

So, doubt very much the union gets involved with that situation, Mr. Union Man....

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein and Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts met with Russell at their offices near Wrigley Field on Friday morning. They informed Russell that he was being placed on administrative leave.

MLB opened an investigation in June 2017 after a friend of Reidy-Russell posted a comment describing violence in the couple's relationship on a since-deleted Instagram photo from Reidy-Russell accusing Russell of infidelity. Reidy-Russell declined to speak with MLB as part of the investigation and although Russell was never disciplined, the investigation remained open.

Administrative leave is initially up to seven days and there is a process by which MLB can request an extension of another seven days.

"We were aware the investigation had remained open," Epstein said Friday. "I'd been in touch from time to time with the league's investigative body to get updates and let them know we were fully cooperative to bring it to a conclusion. They assured us that it remained open, and they were doing everything they could. Surprised? Yes, certainly."

Last year, Russell said he didn't physically harm his ex-wife, issuing a statement saying, "Any allegation I have abused my wife is false and hurtful."

"We questioned him on it and he reaffirmed his stance that he did not do what he is accused of having done," Epstein said.

Cubs manager Joe Maddon said he never discussed the allegations last year.

"Addy and I talk about a lot of things," Maddon said. "That was not brought up between he and I personally. I didn't think it was appropriate to attempt to counsel him. He'll seek his own counsel."

Maddon had not spoken to Russell on Friday.

"There's a process involved, there's a process in place," Maddon said.

Epstein did not want to speculate on whether the status of the investigation will change.

"Last year, this was a third-party accusation on social media," Epstein said. "Now this is a direct accusation from the accuser and potential victim so the situation has changed. He was not placed on administrative leave last year. We think this step is appropriate in light of the post.

"Given the facts last year, I think we handled it appropriately. Given the new information that came to light late last night and early this morning, we are also handling it appropriately. It would not have been appropriate and it would've sent the wrong message to have Addison wearing a Chicago Cubs uniform this morning. We fully support placing him on administrative leave."

Shortly after the allegations surfaced last year, Reidy-Russell and Russell -- who have a 3-year-old son together -- divorced.

"Major League Baseball takes all allegations of domestic violence seriously," MLB said in a statement. "When the allegations against Addison Russell became public on June 7, 2017, the Commissioner's Office's Department of Investigations immediately commenced an investigation. Melisa Russell declined to participate in the investigation at that time. Our investigation of this matter has remained open and we have continued our efforts to gather information.

"With the new details revealed in today's blog post by Ms. Russell, Mr. Russell has been placed on Administrative Leave in accordance with the Joint MLB-MLBPA Domestic Violence Policy. We are hopeful that this new information will allow us to complete the investigation as promptly as possible."

The Cubs issued the following statement:

"We take allegations of domestic violence seriously and support the League's decision to place Addison Russell on administrative leave given new details revealed today. We will continue to cooperate with the League's investigation so the appropriate action can be taken."

Russell, 24, is batting .250 with five home runs in 130 games this season with the Cubs. Later on Friday, he issued the following statement:

"These allegations are completely false. I made that clear to Major League Baseball last year and reiterated it to the Cubs today. I'm confident any full and fair investigation will fully exonerate me. The protection of my children is foremost in my mind so I will have no further comment. "

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And I’m pretty proud of being in a Union. My avatar says enough.

Thanks for playing

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Having fun? It's like talking to a brick. I think you will find the "ignore" option to be a friend. Gotta love how he comes here and argues with everyone when he could be talking real baseball on that "great" forum he found.....in Fantasyland.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein and Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts met with Russell at their offices near Wrigley Field on Friday morning. They informed Russell that he was being placed on administrative leave.

MLB opened an investigation in June 2017 after a friend of Reidy-Russell posted a comment describing violence in the couple's relationship on a since-deleted Instagram photo from Reidy-Russell accusing Russell of infidelity. Reidy-Russell declined to speak with MLB as part of the investigation and although Russell was never disciplined, the investigation remained open.

Administrative leave is initially up to seven days and there is a process by which MLB can request an extension of another seven days.

"We were aware the investigation had remained open," Epstein said Friday. "I'd been in touch from time to time with the league's investigative body to get updates and let them know we were fully cooperative to bring it to a conclusion. They assured us that it remained open, and they were doing everything they could. Surprised? Yes, certainly."

Last year, Russell said he didn't physically harm his ex-wife, issuing a statement saying, "Any allegation I have abused my wife is false and hurtful."

"We questioned him on it and he reaffirmed his stance that he did not do what he is accused of having done," Epstein said.

Cubs manager Joe Maddon said he never discussed the allegations last year.

"Addy and I talk about a lot of things," Maddon said. "That was not brought up between he and I personally. I didn't think it was appropriate to attempt to counsel him. He'll seek his own counsel."

Maddon had not spoken to Russell on Friday.

"There's a process involved, there's a process in place," Maddon said.

Epstein did not want to speculate on whether the status of the investigation will change.

"Last year, this was a third-party accusation on social media," Epstein said. "Now this is a direct accusation from the accuser and potential victim so the situation has changed. He was not placed on administrative leave last year. We think this step is appropriate in light of the post.

"Given the facts last year, I think we handled it appropriately. Given the new information that came to light late last night and early this morning, we are also handling it appropriately. It would not have been appropriate and it would've sent the wrong message to have Addison wearing a Chicago Cubs uniform this morning. We fully support placing him on administrative leave."

Shortly after the allegations surfaced last year, Reidy-Russell and Russell -- who have a 3-year-old son together -- divorced.

"Major League Baseball takes all allegations of domestic violence seriously," MLB said in a statement. "When the allegations against Addison Russell became public on June 7, 2017, the Commissioner's Office's Department of Investigations immediately commenced an investigation. Melisa Russell declined to participate in the investigation at that time. Our investigation of this matter has remained open and we have continued our efforts to gather information.

"With the new details revealed in today's blog post by Ms. Russell, Mr. Russell has been placed on Administrative Leave in accordance with the Joint MLB-MLBPA Domestic Violence Policy. We are hopeful that this new information will allow us to complete the investigation as promptly as possible."

The Cubs issued the following statement:

"We take allegations of domestic violence seriously and support the League's decision to place Addison Russell on administrative leave given new details revealed today. We will continue to cooperate with the League's investigation so the appropriate action can be taken."

Russell, 24, is batting .250 with five home runs in 130 games this season with the Cubs. Later on Friday, he issued the following statement:

"These allegations are completely false. I made that clear to Major League Baseball last year and reiterated it to the Cubs today. I'm confident any full and fair investigation will fully exonerate me. The protection of my children is foremost in my mind so I will have no further comment. "
Ok??
they met with Russell to inform him of MLB decision to place him on leave...

Wasn't knocking you, im in a union too

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And I’m pretty proud of being in a Union. My avatar says enough.

Thanks for playing

I was as well and for many years....long enough ago to remember the days when 100% medical coverage was free and protection from rights violations was a phone call away. Don't know what it's like in San Diego but here in Illinois an "at will" state BTW, they have lost most, if not all of their power. There's been a lot of different suggestions as to why....for what it;s worth, mine has always been corruption.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
The thing that bothers me about all of this is the timing.

This abuse supposedly happened more than a year ago. Well more. The first attempt to make it public on her part was, what, late in last year's season? But there was no follow-up as it was just a blog post, was denied, and she chose not to pursue it. Now, once again right before the post-season is to start, here we have another blog post that is more detailed, but still just a blog post. There isn't even any way of us being able to tell that she herself wrote and posted it; unless she appears in court and makes these statements under oath, you can't be certain it's even her saying this.

I'm not saying that the league office is overreacting. But I just have an alarm that goes off in my head when the timing of an accusation, especially an accusation that had once been whispered and then dropped, seems designed not just as a means to seek justice, but also as a direct means of harming the employers of the accused.

In this day and age, what with a President and his cronies standing accused of dirty tricks and collusion, how hard is it to have it occur to one that such an accusation could be made at the urging of someone interested in damaging the Cubs post-season chances? Like, for example, if a guy who wants to place a lot of bets against the Cubs in their post-season and has a lot of starting capital, and wants to harm the Cubs by pulling a productive player off the team at a crucial time, I can sure see a scenario like "Why, little lady, you like the finer things in life, how's about 20 or 30 grand up front for posting this little accusation I've just written up"...?

Again, not getting into the actual accusation, it's the timing that really bothers me. Lady done cried wolf once. Why choose this particular time to cry wolf again? The only thing special about this particular time is ... LIGHT STARTS TO FLASH -- we're nine games away from the playoffs...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The thing that bothers me about all of this is the timing.

This abuse supposedly happened more than a year ago. Well more. The first attempt to make it public on her part was, what, late in last year's season? But there was no follow-up as it was just a blog post, was denied, and she chose not to pursue it. Now, once again right before the post-season is to start, here we have another blog post that is more detailed, but still just a blog post. There isn't even any way of us being able to tell that she herself wrote and posted it; unless she appears in court and makes these statements under oath, you can't be certain it's even her saying this.

I'm not saying that the league office is overreacting. But I just have an alarm that goes off in my head when the timing of an accusation, especially an accusation that had once been whispered and then dropped, seems designed not just as a means to seek justice, but also as a direct means of harming the employers of the accused.

In this day and age, what with a President and his cronies standing accused of dirty tricks and collusion, how hard is it to have it occur to one that such an accusation could be made at the urging of someone interested in damaging the Cubs post-season chances? Like, for example, if a guy who wants to place a lot of bets against the Cubs in their post-season and has a lot of starting capital, and wants to harm the Cubs by pulling a productive player off the team at a crucial time, I can sure see a scenario like "Why, little lady, you like the finer things in life, how's about 20 or 30 grand up front for posting this little accusation I've just written up"...?

Again, not getting into the actual accusation, it's the timing that really bothers me. Lady done cried wolf once. Why choose this particular time to cry wolf again? The only thing special about this particular time is ... LIGHT STARTS TO FLASH -- we're nine games away from the playoffs...
Seriously???

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
She has no proof that he actually did it.
Doesn't mean he didn't do it.
The Duke LAX team paid a big price for a bunch of gullible liberal professors believing a woman who was not truthful. There isn't any good reason for anyone to rush to judgment and automatically believe an accuser without evidence or until all evidence is presented. Ever.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
The Duke LAX team paid a big price for a bunch of gullible liberal professors believing a woman who was not truthful. There isn't any good reason for anyone to rush to judgment and automatically believe an accuser without evidence or until all evidence is presented. Ever.

Chibears would have also kicked the Duke lacrosse players off the team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was as well and for many years....long enough ago to remember the days when 100% medical coverage was free and protection from rights violations was a phone call away. Don't know what it's like in San Diego but here in Illinois an "at will" state BTW, they have lost most, if not all of their power. There's been a lot of different suggestions as to why....for what it;s worth, mine has always been corruption.

I’m under FERS. With TSP. So full retirement. But we have the grievance process. But union contract would have to be broken. I’m not sure with him right now in the arbitration phase. He may not have the same rights as a player past that phase.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Awkward moment on the morning show today:
An abuse victim called into the Mully and Haugh and was saying she understood Maddon's stance on the issue. She was calm, collected, and really polite and open about being an abuse victim for 12 years. Haugh/the producer basically hung up on her one minute into the phone call. Was a real chance at productive discussion and....well...it got shut down.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Awkward moment on the morning show today:
An abuse victim called into the Mully and Haugh and was saying she understood Maddon's stance on the issue. She was calm, collected, and really polite and open about being an abuse victim for 12 years. Haugh/the producer basically hung up on her one minute into the phone call. Was a real chance at productive discussion and....well...it got shut down.

Its really standard practice for Mitch to direct people to not allow a caller to get extra thoughts in. It makes the hosts sound smarter.

The last caller that said all Joe had to do is let people know where he stood on the issue would have been a good answer, but right after that, they play a sound bite that has Maddon saying that the players feed off the manager, so he tries not to change so the players dont feel like something is wrong. That is so true with this team, which is why they are a bunch of hippies with no sense of urgency. We will take the motor home because it does not matter when we get to where we are going.