Russell's wife opens up about his alleged abuse

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs front office is making a lot more moves than they did last year. I watched the entire press conference. Theo was very professional as always, but clearly pissed that the Cubs failed. When we have conversations at this point about next season, everyone should have more vision than who is currently on the roster. They also aren't trotting Zobrist out at 2B or RF every day. He's 37 years old for Pete's sake.

Well I'm not really saying they should trot him out there every day. But if you're paying Heyward anyways and clearly you don't want him in the starting line up... I was just curious where you thought they were going. I'm not as anti-heyward as a lot of people on here. Not saying it's wrong to view him as a huge disappointment but I think he showed he can be at least a better than average hitter this year before injuries set him back.

Before we even talk about arbitration cases my rough calcualtions put the cubs at $171.5 mil toward next years payroll. That assume retaining, Hamles, Quintana, and Strop and it assume the cubs decline Kintzler's $10 mil team option but that he accepts the $5 mil player option because i doubt he's getting $5 mil in FA. It also includes $3.5 mil for Duensing even though he's likely cut. A rough guess at arbitration I'm saying it costs the cubs $40 mil. Most of that is Hendricks and Bryant but Baez having a big year going into arbitration isn't going to help nor is Schwarber being first year eligible.

That's putting them well over $200 mil in payroll before you add Machado or Harper which we both agree Machado makes sense. I can see the cubs going over the luxury tax threshold. But there's two levels of it and things get nasty if you go over the second. So, I don't really think the cubs are going to go all that crazy signing players. There's perhaps some trades out there you could make for RFers but IDK guess I just don't see them doing better than Heyward for the pieces they will have to deal from. I mean if you're trading Schwarber for example then you basically need another starting LF. Personally after this past season I wouldn't wanna trust Happ just given the role. If you're trading Happ are you getting a starter? Russell isn't getting you anything. Almora probably isn't either. And given the relative weakness of their farm system I don't think you want to take much away from that either.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well I'm not really saying they should trot him out there every day. But if you're paying Heyward anyways and clearly you don't want him in the starting line up... I was just curious where you thought they were going. I'm not as anti-heyward as a lot of people on here. Not saying it's wrong to view him as a huge disappointment but I think he showed he can be at least a better than average hitter this year before injuries set him back.

Before we even talk about arbitration cases my rough calcualtions put the cubs at $171.5 mil toward next years payroll. That assume retaining, Hamles, Quintana, and Strop and it assume the cubs decline Kintzler's $10 mil team option but that he accepts the $5 mil player option because i doubt he's getting $5 mil in FA. It also includes $3.5 mil for Duensing even though he's likely cut. A rough guess at arbitration I'm saying it costs the cubs $40 mil. Most of that is Hendricks and Bryant but Baez having a big year going into arbitration isn't going to help nor is Schwarber being first year eligible.

That's putting them well over $200 mil in payroll before you add Machado or Harper which we both agree Machado makes sense. I can see the cubs going over the luxury tax threshold. But there's two levels of it and things get nasty if you go over the second. So, I don't really think the cubs are going to go all that crazy signing players. There's perhaps some trades out there you could make for RFers but IDK guess I just don't see them doing better than Heyward for the pieces they will have to deal from. I mean if you're trading Schwarber for example then you basically need another starting LF. Personally after this past season I wouldn't wanna trust Happ just given the role. If you're trading Happ are you getting a starter? Russell isn't getting you anything. Almora probably isn't either. And given the relative weakness of their farm system I don't think you want to take much away from that either.
Beck- Your posts and stats are well worth the effort. I appreciate how much thought you put into them. Some times I view things as a fan or how do I keep a player engaged. Of course they could continue to platoon an Almora/Heyward thing, but in the off-season if they fix the leadoff position by finding a 2B that changes some things. If they find a leadoff that plays CF, that changes things. If they believe Happ is more productive than either Heyward or Almora, he could be everyday CF. I would really enjoy Bryant in CF a bit more than just sticking him in the corner because his bat works there.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Theo was reminded by a reporter yesterday that since addison accepted the 40 day suspension, it means he did not tell the whole story back in June 2017, and this was dismissed as a third party social media abuse issue, that Addison had to have lied about it when Theo questioned him last year.

This has little to do with baseball and more to do with trust.

Eventually, the cubs moved Castro from SS and put him at 2b. I dont know why its not an option with Russell. There is a world of difference between the arm strength of Baez and Russell. Its just bullshit that Russell can only be slotted at SS. Let his ego take a hit that the rest of them need to take by moving from SS.

I still take Baez over Machado at SS. The Orioles knew Machado was better suited at third base. We have a third baseman in Bryant and need to keep him there.

I get why Theo would be upset but Addison lied about a personal matter. All of us have lied to a boss about a personal matter at one point or another.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I get why Theo would be upset but Addison lied about a personal matter. All of us have lied to a boss about a personal matter at one point or another.
"Boss, I was really sick yesterday. I did not go to the Cubs game" is a lot different than what happened here. The Cubs are internationally recognized, which is also much different than most situations.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
It's still a personal matter. Even if Addison told the truth, he would have been suspended by MLB. It's pretty inconsequential except maybe Theo's feelings are hurt.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It's still a personal matter. Even if Addison told the truth, he would have been suspended by MLB. It's pretty inconsequential except maybe Theo's feelings are hurt.
OK. You can choose to be obtuse.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
"Boss, I was really sick yesterday. I did not go to the Cubs game" is a lot different than what happened here. The Cubs are internationally recognized, which is also much different than most situations.

He obviously should've have lied, but nearly every person, when confronted with personally embarrassing or potentially criminal information will lie about it at first. Almost to a man. It's just human nature.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He obviously should've have lied, but nearly every person, when confronted with personally embarrassing or potentially criminal information will lie about it at first. Almost to a man. It's just human nature.
No doubt. But there is a big difference between what lies an employer is willing to brush off once the truth is revealed. Domestic violence is a serious matter. It isn't a "personal matter", which is what the poster is suggesting. That's bullshit.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Its a little different when you have a job that only 30 people in the world have, the starting shortstop for a major league team, the guy that theo never questioned to move from Shortstop no matter what. He is as big a building block as Albert Almora was, being theo's first draft pick. Now, if you want to say that Addison did not tell Theo about it because it Theo would have caught shit over it from the league, then I might start listening.

Whenever I heard Addison talk, its pure arrogance. Lets see what the new wifey ends up saying after she pumps out a couple kids or if Addison ends up in some anger management program.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Its a little different when you have a job that only 30 people in the world have, the starting shortstop for a major league team, the guy that theo never questioned to move from Shortstop no matter what.

Why do you keep talking about moving Russell like it's a good idea? Russell is an elite SS and far better than Baez. Why in the world would the Cubs move him?

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
No doubt. But there is a big difference between what lies an employer is willing to brush off once the truth is revealed. Domestic violence is a serious matter. It isn't a "personal matter", which is what the poster is suggesting. That's bullshit.

Even if he had told Theo the truth so what? Addison still would have been suspended. So what was the upside in him being honest?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Why do you keep talking about moving Russell like it's a good idea? Russell is an elite SS and far better than Baez. Why in the world would the Cubs move him?

Because Russell does not have the strong arm, and part of breaking this kid is breaking his ego.