Has Terrance Gore Earned a Spot on the Playoff Roster?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I would think you'd have to seriously consider it. In games that will likely be close he's a weapon on the basepaths.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
They did it with Leonyns Martin who was nothing close to the weapon. Gore is guaranteed.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think we will see him, but whose spot does he take.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think we will see him, but whose spot does he take.

probably a pitcher since you only go 4 deep starter wise. My guess is you just get the typical 12 guys you'd expect from a maddon team and add him and subtract one of the lower end bullpen arms. Presumably if Strop is back I would imagine the pen will be 4 starters with monty to the pen, Strop, Edwards, Ciscek, wilson, Chavez +2. The remaining 2 I'm not entirely sure who'd get those. De La Rosa has been pretty good but i'm not 100% sure if he's playoff eligible. I don't remember if he was signed before sept 1. Kintzler has been kinda terrible but has experience. Duensing is a lefty who's been terrible but maybe another lefty matters. Rosario's numbers are ok but his underlying numbers are scary.

If it's me and De La Rosa is eligible I take him and one of the other guys. Maybe Garcia? IDK

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Every series can be reset. So I see him as a series to series decision vs a staple.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Every series can be reset. So I see him as a series to series decision vs a staple.

I mean maybe but i'm pretty sure you see a 13 player bench and a 12 man pitching staff in the playoffs. If you need more than 8 relievers in a playoff series something has seriously gone wrong.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I mean maybe but i'm pretty sure you see a 13 player bench and a 12 man pitching staff in the playoffs. If you need more than 8 relievers in a playoff series something has seriously gone wrong.

No, this is a normal national league roster for the regular season. Bullpen gets reduced to 10 or 11 at most.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

With player switches you value a bat over legs due to the pitcher batting. If he was a hitter of the quality of Almora then this would be moot. Seeing that he is very situational it makes him #25. And if that can be exploited sure.

But I see him behind LaStella due to Tommy being one of the best PH AB’s period. That matters more with the pitcher hitting.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
With player switches you value a bat over legs due to the pitcher batting. If he was a hitter of the quality of Almora then this would be moot. Seeing that he is very situational it makes him #25. And if that can be exploited sure.

But I see him behind LaStella due to Tommy being one of the best PH AB’s period. That matters more with the pitcher hitting.

But the point I'm making here is joe ran a 12 man positional bench all year. That includes La Stella. Who are you keeping Gore off the playoff roster for? Right now their roster has 5 OF(Heyward, Happ, Schwarber, Gore, Almora), 3 C(Caratini, Contreras, Davis), and 8 infielders if we assume Russell comes back(Baez, Bote, Bryant, Russell, La Stella, Murphy, Rizzo, Zobrist). That's 16 guys. Davis isn't making the playoff roster. The last month Bote is hitting .176/.230/.279 and you don't really need his flexibility positionally in the playoffs with Bryant back. So, that puts you down to 14 guys. Russell may not come back which would be 13 or conversely you may decide to go with only 7 relievers(11 pitchers) and add him that way.

In other words, it's not really that hard to find room for him.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Yes.

Holy Cow

Liked Posts:
De LaRosa pitched his first game with Cubs on 8/11..would expect him on roster..especially if matched up vs Milw..18.1inn/5bb/17k...not too shabby

Holy Cow

Liked Posts:
Milw Hadar with 36k's in 16.2 innings vs Cubs and Cards this year...yikes

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But the point I'm making here is joe ran a 12 man positional bench all year. That includes La Stella. Who are you keeping Gore off the playoff roster for? Right now their roster has 5 OF(Heyward, Happ, Schwarber, Gore, Almora), 3 C(Caratini, Contreras, Davis), and 8 infielders if we assume Russell comes back(Baez, Bote, Bryant, Russell, La Stella, Murphy, Rizzo, Zobrist). That's 16 guys. Davis isn't making the playoff roster. The last month Bote is hitting .176/.230/.279 and you don't really need his flexibility positionally in the playoffs with Bryant back. So, that puts you down to 14 guys. Russell may not come back which would be 13 or conversely you may decide to go with only 7 relievers(11 pitchers) and add him that way.

In other words, it's not really that hard to find room for him.

2B Murphy
RF Zobrist
SS Baez
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
CF Heyward
C Contreras
LF Schwarber
Pitcher

Pretty much staple. If any movement in a series it would have to be justified. I don’t see much gain of Bote at 3B over Schwarber. If they need to preserve Bryant then that makes sense then.

OF I see as late inning D upgrade. So priority is Almora, Happ etc

IF. Honestly it will be Russell or Freeman at this point. No way they go in with Bote as the back up. Too all or nothing. And not battle tested by Maddon to even concider.

PH LaStella for sure.

So I’m counting 8 starters. Then you need a back up catcher. After that you need a short stop on the bench. So I’m counting 10. And if you say Gore holds more weight than Almora, Happ or Bote then I can’t help you.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Yes and no. You need X amount of position players for pinch hitting duty at the minimum.
Im thinking at least in the 5 Game series NLDS

Contreras
Rizzo
Murphy
Baez
Bryant
Schwarber
Heyward
Zobrist
Caratini
LaStella
Bote
Happ
Almora
Gore
4 SP 7 Relievers

They could survive with 7 relievers in a 5 game series

NLCS
Maybe they go to 8 relievers and decide who could be more valuable between Gore and Bote

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It depends on Strop but I see the pen as:

Cishek, Chavez, Edwards

Wilson, Montgomery

That is locks. As far as depth goes you would want 3 more. De La Rosa, Strop and Roserio are most likely. Rest are trash.

So that is 12. Means 13 towards hitting.

Aleady stayed top 10. Basically back up SS and Catcher come first. Then I would guess the last 3 spots would rank Almora, Happ, Bote, DeRosa, Gore in that order.Almora should be top as he moves Heyward to RF. Bote IMO #2 because Bryant is a risk. After that it comes down to PH vs swing guy with HR power or speed.

Russell IMO should be kept off until this crapnblows over and even then he is a distraction. Freeman makes more sense.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You want to take a ride from out in left field? We understand Gore is a weapon AT THE RIGHT MOMENT, we have Hamels, Hendricks, Q, Monty, along with Lester and no real stopper in the pen any more. Which one of these starters would you rather use 4/5 games or 5/7 games of the series instead of 1 or 2 out of 7 games.

Hondo is the only righty, so I would think he starts, but he has been prone to giving up runs in the first. Its given that Monty will go back to the pen, but would you rather have Lester or Hamels shutting a team down late?

It always goes back to the Cardinals using Carpenter in that role, the braves using Smoltz. It would be a real out of the box move to make.