Why can't Mitch be the next Alex Smith, Steve Young or Troy Aikman?

Monster

Liked Posts:
I know it’s not popular but I think he will be fine... he’s trying to hard.
I see this all the time in golf... people fold when over thinking. He’s thrown that skin 100,000 times more than he’s put a fork in his mouth, it’s a natural action at this point... just get your brain out of the way, pick your line and let it fly. When he finally has that awesome game he will trust himself. He’s afraid to let people down... which is far better than not giving a shit.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see this all the time in golf... people fold when over thinking. He’s thrown that skin 100,000 times more than he’s put a fork in his mouth, it’s a natural action at this point... just get your brain out of the way, pick your line and let it fly.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, but it takes a special mental makeup to be able to do that, to brush off a bad throw or two and still come out firing, not everyone has that ability.

cd35

Liked Posts:
We are indeed upgraded, but last year was a dumpster fire on offense. And a bad oline is a major problem.
The fact the oline got worse and Trubisky got worse may go hand in hand. It could be the loss of Sitton or it could be the coaches (I'm leaning towards coaching since the 2nd round Center can't see the field when that should be an instant starter especially planning on him being a guard). Like Nagy and Trubisky say about Mitch, trust the system.
I hope that's the case because we probably can't fix the oline during the year or find the next guy at QB until 2021.

The thing that's concerning, at least for me, is not when the pocket is collapsing and he's being hit. Well that's not good but a different point. The thing that is concerning is that when he has a relatively clean pocket, time and open receivers he's not hitting them as he should. The little intangibles that you can't teach look off whenever I watch him. There's plenty of times when you watch a rookie QB who's struggling bc his team sucks and/or he's doing rookie bullshit but you know he's got it.

At this point Mitch doesn't look like that. Does that mean he's not ever? Nope. Something can click in his brain next Sunday and he could be on his way. Or it could take longer. But hell he's not making even the most objective people confident that he will.

He did have a slight improvement in one area, he stayed in the pocket more this game instead of instantly looking shook and running. So there's that

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Mitch can make all the throws, that’s what frustrates most of us, making the playoffs this season would he huge then win a few SB the next 6-8 years being consistently in the playoffs.

The pressure up the middle in the QB face should make all Bears happy, maybe get a playmaker to replace Amos on the backend?

Hope Shaheen comes back this season,

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I see this all the time in golf... people fold when over thinking. He’s thrown that skin 100,000 times more than he’s put a fork in his mouth, it’s a natural action at this point... just get your brain out of the way, pick your line and let it fly. When he finally has that awesome game he will trust himself. He’s afraid to let people down... which is far better than not giving a shit.

He has to have that awesome game first. I haven’t seen anything to give me confidence in him that he’s going to have that game anytime soon. He needs to find his deep ball or this offense isn’t going anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The irony of it all. We once had a top defense and went all in the same way for Cutler and were told to have patience with Cutler for 9 years. We got this defense now and it will only get better over the next few years. I would love a Super Bowl this year too, who knows, maybe this year is 1984.

It's not like Trubisky is throwing 4 interceptions a game. They are short but his completion rate is very good and we are having sustained 8 minute drives which is helping the defense tremendously.

I have patience, this is the very beginning, not the end.

Hence why I said if he doesn't improve. Not suggesting we dump him now but there is a limit to one's patience.

Nagy has an obligation to the other 52 guys on that roster not just Trubs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But how though??? By going all in with Mack we seriously fucked ourselves. We aren’t getting anybody worth a damn in trades / FA and we don’t have the picks to trade up for a QB. Getting Mack was the worst thing that could have happened to us with Mitch now sucking

Not at all. All we need is a decent QB not an elite guy. Is Blake Bortles elite?

There are guys like Case Kenum that can be had for cheap. If Trubs continues to shit the bed then you make a play for a Bridgewater or a McCarron or any number of vets who can perform given the right situation.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Funny, when we drafted Trubisky I said he had a ceiling of a Alex Smith. I wanted Watson, but I'll roll with Trubisky. He has some tools I like. He really just needs to relax back there. He has happy feet.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well... if we're gonna look at the careers of those 3 QBs, then one of two things will/needs to happen.

1. Trubisky will be more productive with another team. Young sucked with the Bucs, was a HOFer with the 49ers. Smith mostly sucked with the 49ers and the majority of his decent years has been with the Chiefs, and he's on his 3rd team.

2. The Bears need to put a HOF O-line in front of Trubisky with a HOF RB and HOF WR and build one of the top defenses in the league... All Trubisky will need to do then would be a game manager, like Aikman was.

Not promising.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Speak of vet QBs, a beauty watching Fitz throw downfield.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Not at all. All we need is a decent QB not an elite guy. Is Blake Bortles elite?

There are guys like Case Kenum that can be had for cheap. If Trubs continues to shit the bed then you make a play for a Bridgewater or a McCarron or any number of vets who can perform given the right situation.

And look at what just happened to the Jags they lost 9-6 against the freaking Titans. Case Keenum has been a train wreck and actually has had a worse QBR than Mitch over the last 2 weeks. McCarron does nothing for me he’s an average back up. Bridgewater is the only one who I can see having any kind of upside. We’ve been down this road in 2006 we need to have a QB if we want to win in the playoffs.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The first two seasons of their careers, this is their TD/INT ratio

Alex Smith: first year: 1 TD 11 INT, second year: 16 TD 16 INT
Steve Young first year: 3 TD 8 INT, second year: 8 TD 13 INT
Troy Aikman first year: 9 TD 18 INT, second year: 11 TD's, 18 INT

All of these great quarterbacks would've been declared a bust and run out of town before finishing their second season in this city. This is why we can't have nice things. All of these QB's had to DEVELOP. Yes, Chicago, there is such a thing as developing a quarterback. Let's try it. We drafted the kid, he had a high physical ceiling, he's not lighting the world on fire yet, but neither did any of the aforementioned three guys who turned out to be pretty good.

If it was S.Young or T.Aikman in Trubisky's place right now certain people would be calling them busts and saying we should play C.Daniel over them...lol

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
To me, developing means you see some type of progress. Just am not seeing any this season so far, and that is cause for concern. So many of those misses were just flat our poor throws yesterday. I am ok with him not seeing every open WR and throwing late at this point...but badly missing wide open receivers? There's no way to spin that as a positive...

Oh...and stats don't tell the whole story.

The T.Gabriel miss in week 2 is still the worst of them all and no WR this week that he missed was as wide open as Gabriel was last week. Still had some really bad throws this week.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Can't really compare them. They were all on teams that were complete and total dumpster fires at just about every position on both sides of the ball.

Bears are not. He has a supporting cast around him. Those teams were waiting to get competence around the QB, the Bears are waiting for the QB to grow

Well Tampa wasnt waiting for anything they were the biggest hopeless shit show going for about 2 decades

The D side of the ball doesnt factor into it.

He has a shit Oline and so far, I dont see HOF WR and HOF FB and HOF RB and OL as Dallas had. Aikman was so-so and is in Canton due to supporting cast. You think Bears have that?

cd35

Liked Posts:
The D side of the ball doesnt factor into it.

He has a shit Oline and so far, I dont see HOF WR and HOF FB and HOF RB and OL as Dallas had. Aikman was so-so and is in Canton due to supporting cast. You think Bears have that?

Yes each side of the ball doesn't affect the other. A shitty defense that makes the offense have to play catch up doesn't affect the offense and how they play at all. A shitty offense that can't stay on the field doesn't tire a defense and make them less effective.

We're talking about Aikman's first 2 seasons. Moose did not exist, Irvin caught 30 and 20 something passes the first two years, Emmitt wasn't there his first year and had 3 good games his second, the rest were pretty pedestrian. The line wasn't fully formed yet. They were terrible.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
Its really not that hard. Most QBs struggle early in their careers. Brett Favre is probably the best example. In his 3rd season in the NFL and 2nd as a starter he threw 19 TDs and 26 INTs with a 60% completion percentage. This board would be toxic if Mitch that next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You are right! Troy Aikman was considered a bust his 1st year.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
This. I’ve watched Alex as a kc fan for 5 years. You don’t trade up to number 2 from 3 for Alex Smith. Gota do better than that one. Just have to watch his progression throughout the season. Alex Smith is the QB where everything around him needs to be perfect. You need a generational defense. Things happen, guys get hurt, retire, leave in free agency, etc.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trubisky can be good.

At this moment he is not good and he has not really shown signs of making serious steps forward.'

Until we see some of these positive steps this is reality and the Trubisky haters have all the ammunition they need. The Trubisky defenders are left chucking their helmets and canteens at the enemy.

This but it's still quite early in his development. Way to early for conclusions but when you see kids that had 2 or 3 years in college come out gamers, it doesn't help with the warm and fuzzies.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And look at what just happened to the Jags they lost 9-6 against the freaking Titans. Case Keenum has been a train wreck and actually has had a worse QBR than Mitch over the last 2 weeks. McCarron does nothing for me he’s an average back up. Bridgewater is the only one who I can see having any kind of upside. We’ve been down this road in 2006 we need to have a QB if we want to win in the playoffs.

So jags weren't in AFC championship? Eagles didn't win with Foles? You don't need an elite QB to win.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Hence why I said if he doesn't improve. Not suggesting we dump him now but there is a limit to one's patience.

Nagy has an obligation to the other 52 guys on that roster not just Trubs.

Of course when you're talking about a patience limit 1, 2 & 3 games into a new system for a QB who spend his rookie year handing off for Fox there's a good chance you have no patience to start with. Even if this was still Fox's system the crap being said now = no patience.
I'm going to guess every rookie QB needed to improve so that doesn't need to be said.