Why can't Mitch be the next Alex Smith, Steve Young or Troy Aikman?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not at all. All we need is a decent QB not an elite guy. Is Blake Bortles elite?

There are guys like Case Kenum that can be had for cheap. If Trubs continues to shit the bed then you make a play for a Bridgewater or a McCarron or any number of vets who can perform given the right situation.

Keenum makes 18/year and has been bad in Denver.

Bridgewater would be interesting, but he has never had a statistically good season.

McCarron is brutal. He lost his job to Peterman.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
So jags weren't in AFC championship? Eagles didn't win with Foles? You don't need an elite QB to win.

The exceptions are never the rules. The perennial play off teams and super bowl teams all have at least good QBs with the exception of Jacksonville and they’ve only been good for the last 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Of course when you're talking about a patience limit 1, 2 & 3 games into a new system for a QB who spend his rookie year handing off for Fox there's a good chance you have no patience to start with. Even if this was still Fox's system the crap being said now = no patience.
I'm going to guess every rookie QB needed to improve so that doesn't need to be said.

Not sure your point. Just because you pretend like he learned nothing last year doesn't mean everyone else has to pretend. In fact, I would argue the difficulty of his passes last year surpass the screen game Nagy has him running. Loggains maybe didn't have him throw a lot but those throws were down the field not all this shit behind the line of scrimmage.

The crap being said now is the truth. He has fucking sucked. I give it until mid-season and if he still fucking sucks then sorry he should be benched and the other guy needs to get a chance. The NFL is a meritocracy. People shouldn't just be given a job and keep it despite poor performance just because they are a high draft pick.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Based on what we have seen Alex Smith is very reasonable.

Mitch has been good underneath and getting the ball in a place where they can run with it.

His deep ball is miserable right now. Until we see that develop I think that Alex Smith seems to be the cap right now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Keenum makes 18/year and has been bad in Denver.

Bridgewater would be interesting, but he has never had a statistically good season.

McCarron is brutal. He lost his job to Peterman.

Keenum wasn't making 18 a year when he was picked up by the Vikes. I was referring to his being picked up last year. Bridgewater looked good this preseason and who knows how McCarron would do under our systems. The point is if Trubs continues sucks then you try someone else

Until he chucks the game away with 3 picks, one returned for an eastbound tD.

Are we pretending that Fitz hasn't been infinitely better than Trubs this season? Or that all 3 Ints including the tip was his fault? Or that the Steelers scored after each interception when in fact they only had the pick 6?

Fitz had 411 yards and 3 TDs to go with 3 Ints. He clearly threw some terrible passes but that is what happens sometimes when you are trusted to win the game unlike Trubs. If Fitz had that kind of performance on a team with the Bears D then he likely wins despite the Ints because unlike Trubs he is still good enough to get his team 27 points despite the poor play. Let me know when Trubs cracks 20 points.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The exceptions are never the rules. The perennial play off teams and super bowl teams all have at least good QBs with the exception of Jacksonville and they’ve only been good for the last 2 years.

Simply not true. Vikings made it on the back of their D and a journeyman QB. There is more than one way to compete in the NFL. Would be great to have an elite QB but it is not required especially when you have a great D which is why we spent 23 million a year on Mack.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Keenum wasn't making 18 a year when he was picked up by the Vikes. I was referring to his being picked up last year. Bridgewater looked good this preseason and who knows how McCarron would do under our systems. The point is if Trubs continues sucks then you try someone else

Are we pretending that Fitz hasn't been infinitely better than Trubs this season? Or that all 3 Ints including the tip was his fault? Or that the Steelers scored after each interception when in fact they only had the pick 6?

Fitz had 411 yards and 3 TDs to go with 3 Ints. He clearly threw some terrible passes but that is what happens sometimes when you are trusted to win the game unlike Trubs. If Fitz had that kind of performance on a team with the Bears D then he likely wins despite the Ints because unlike Trubs he is still good enough to get his team 27 points despite the poor play. Let me know when Trubs cracks 20 points.

He has been significantly better than Trubisky.

But last night he chucked the game away. He could have thrown for 600 yards and it would not have changed that the reason they were losing was because he threw the ball away.

Turnover margin is the best predictor of wins and loses.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I have zero problem looking at other vets like bridgewater or keenum but dont even look in Fitz's direction. Dude is garbage.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He has been significantly better than Trubisky.

But last night he chucked the game away. He could have thrown for 600 yards and it would not have changed that the reason they were losing was because he threw the ball away.

Turnover margin is the best predictor of wins and loses.

The reason they were losing is because their D gave up 23 first half points. Fitz contributed to that loss but the point is in his worst game of the year, he still put up more points than Trubs. He put up 27 points gross and 20 net if you include the pick 6. That is still more than every Trub start.

So not sure this is the argument you want to make. Great, he threw away the game but still was better overall than Trubs. The difference is he doesn't have the world class D to bail him out.

Put Trubs on Tampa and they are 0-3 as their D has given up more points than Mitch has scored in every single game. Put Fitz on the Bears and they probably 3-0 right now. He would easily put up more points against the Packers, Seahawks, and Cards than Trubs even if it came with interceptions.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have zero problem looking at other vets like bridgewater or keenum but dont even look in Fitz's direction. Dude is garbage.

Depends on how he continues to play and what happens with Winston. If he starts next week then will be interesting to see how he fares against the Bears D.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Simply not true. Vikings made it on the back of their D and a journeyman QB. There is more than one way to compete in the NFL. Would be great to have an elite QB but it is not required especially when you have a great D which is why we spent 23 million a year on Mack.

The Vikings also don’t look like the same team this year. Keenum was playing at an elite level last year (not saying he’s an elite QB) and Cousins hasn’t matched that production. Also look at Seattle great defenses last about 3-4 years before it starts to fall apart

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Vikings also don’t look like the same team this year. Keenum was playing at an elite level last year (not saying he’s an elite QB) and Cousins hasn’t matched that production. Also look at Seattle great defenses last about 3-4 years before it starts to fall apart

The fact is he is clearly not an elite QB so once again you don't need one. We will see how the Vikings look by the end of this year. Seattle fell apart because of in fighting. Not to mention, 3-4 years is still a good run. How many teams with elite QBs been to the playoffs 3-4 years in a row?

Big Ben in Pitt has benefited more from arguably the best RB, best WR and one of the best defenses. I would really only list Brady, Rodgers and Brees as QBs that consistently carry their teams and even Brees and Rodgers have had years their teams didn't make the playoffs.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
A lot of this seems to be perception. I see lots of people talking about how inaccurate he is, yet he’s been above 65% completion percentage in every game.
How he can’t throw the deep ball, yet last year percentage wise he was one of the best in football.
Next he runs too much, doesn’t keep his eyes up. At times he takes too many sacks etc etc.
It seems like he sees he has a problem, like holding the ball too long in one game and then overcompensating and throwing it too quickly in the next.
Under aggressive in one game and then over aggressive in the next. In think people have lost patience that he will put it all together and have a complete game.
You compare him to a few QB, the list of QB who have struggled early is nearly all of them, the list of QB who were great from day one is very small. Doesn’t matter where he was taken or the situation of team, you have to be patient with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not at all. All we need is a decent QB not an elite guy. Is Blake Bortles elite?

There are guys like Case Kenum that can be had for cheap. If Trubs continues to shit the bed then you make a play for a Bridgewater or a McCarron or any number of vets who can perform given the right situation.

If Case Keenum is any good then why would Denever trade him and if they would trade him then that's kinda saying something about him so why would we want to trade assets for him? The Saints aren't trading Bridgewater who they just traded something like a 3rd or 4th round pick for to keep not trade away and AJ McCarron....seriously? What other QB's are out there to trade for that aren't nothing more then what they've been in their careers which is backups? You'd probably rather have Paxton Lynch to....lol. Trubisky is our guy for at least the next two years and there's no doubt about that. All we can do is hope he gets better the more he plays and grows and adjusts to this system. He doesn't have to be great for us to win but he does have to be better then he's been.

Reactions: Myk

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The fact is he is clearly not an elite QB so once again you don't need one. We will see how the Vikings look by the end of this year. Seattle fell apart because of in fighting. Not to mention, 3-4 years is still a good run. How many teams with elite QBs been to the playoffs 3-4 years in a row?

Big Ben in Pitt has benefited more from arguably the best RB, best WR and one of the best defenses. I would really only list Brady, Rodgers and Brees as QBs that consistently carry their teams and even Brees and Rodgers have had years their teams didn't make the playoffs.
I’ll ask you this how many teams have actually won anything with a great defense and a bad QB. None. You could say Flacco and the Ravens but he’s an average QB in my opinion. You absolutely need to have great QB to win. You’ll say Foles and Keenum and I’ll say they both were playing great so it’s a moot point

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Not sure your point. Just because you pretend like he learned nothing last year doesn't mean everyone else has to pretend. In fact, I would argue the difficulty of his passes last year surpass the screen game Nagy has him running. Loggains maybe didn't have him throw a lot but those throws were down the field not all this shit behind the line of scrimmage.

The crap being said now is the truth. He has fucking sucked. I give it until mid-season and if he still fucking sucks then sorry he should be benched and the other guy needs to get a chance. The NFL is a meritocracy. People shouldn't just be given a job and keep it despite poor performance just because they are a high draft pick.

I'm not calling him a rookie or a virtual rookie like some. He learned plenty under Fox, just not as much as he should have.
I'm saying you have no patience so don't pretend you do. You wanting him benched mid-season into a new system shows it. You would literally bench every QB based on that. The ones that took 3-4 years to become great ones would never happen with the Bears if the coaches listen to fans like you.
Luckily I doubt if coaches listen much to "fans" like you, especially not when they drafted the QB knowing he might be one of those who takes a long time.

Yes he sucked. That doesn't mean he will still suck next week or even next year. We don't have Bret Favre to sit him behind so he gets on the job training. You get a lesson in what having patience really means.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I’ll ask you this how many teams have actually won anything with a great defense and a bad QB. None. You could say Flacco and the Ravens but he’s an average QB in my opinion. You absolutely need to have great QB to win. You’ll say Foles and Keenum and I’ll say they both were playing great so it’s a moot point

How about Trent Dilfer and Rob Johnson?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Case Keenum is any good then why would Denever trade him and if they would trade him then that's kinda saying something about him so why would we want to trade assets for him? The Saints aren't trading Bridgewater who they just traded something like a 3rd or 4th round pick for to keep not trade away and AJ McCarron....seriously? What other QB's are out there to trade for that aren't nothing more then what they've been in their careers which is backups? You'd probably rather have Paxton Lynch to....lol. Trubisky is our guy for at least the next two years and there's no doubt about that. All we can do is hope he gets better the more he plays and grows and adjusts to this system. He doesn't have to be great for us to win but he does have to be better then he's been.

I was not suggesting they trade for Keenum. I was saying there are always vet guys that get picked up and have a break out. The guys I said you make a play for are guys like McCarron and Bridgewater ie this year's potential examples of what Keenum did. Keenum costs too much money now.

And no, Trubisky should not be anointed starter for the next 2 years. That is a loser mentality. The Bears are better than that. I expect next year we bring in a vet that can challenge him unless he turns shit around this year. Unless Pace is happy being fired because he put all his eggs in Trubs basket.

Strawman. No one said anything about a bad QB. Further Foles and Keenum were both playing great which doesn't change the fact up to that point they were average QBs. An average QB can end up playing well for a short period of time such as the playoffs. What makes them average is they can't sustain it over years but they don't have too. They just need to get hot at the right time. The problem is Trubs has not strung together any hot streaks to suggest it is possible for him. So the point remains, you don't need an elite QB to win. You can survive with a great D and decent QB. It just means you have to hope said QB can string 3-4 good games together at the right time which history has proven is doable.

I'm not calling him a rookie or a virtual rookie like some. He learned plenty under Fox, just not as much as he should have.
I'm saying you have no patience so don't pretend you do. You wanting him benched mid-season into a new system shows it. You would literally bench every QB based on that. The ones that took 3-4 years to become great ones would never happen with the Bears if the coaches listen to fans like you.
Luckily I doubt if coaches listen much to "fans" like you, especially not when they drafted the QB knowing he might be one of those who takes a long time.

Yes he sucked. That doesn't mean he will still suck next week or even next year. We don't have Bret Favre to sit him behind so he gets on the job training. You get a lesson in what having patience really means.

You seem confused. A benching doesn't have to be permanent. Steve Young was benched. Rodgers sat for years. You perform or you get benched. If the other guy doesn't perform and you do what you are supposed to do then you get another chance. I don't know why some of ya'll think Trubs is so fragile or so untouchable that he is immune to benching for poor play. There are plenty of QBs who need time on the bench to rediscover themselves.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You seem confused. A benching doesn't have to be permanent. Steve Young was benched. Rodgers sat for years. You perform or you get benched. If the other guy doesn't perform and you do what you are supposed to do then you get another chance. I don't know why some of ya'll think Trubs is so fragile or so untouchable that he is immune to benching for poor play. There are plenty of QBs who need time on the bench to rediscover themselves.

Problem is we don't have Joe Montana or Brett Favre to sit him behind. We don't even have Cutler. Think we can get Favre to come out of retirement one more time?

If we had a starter QB we were replacing with Trubisky or a good prospect young QB who was battling for the franchise QB job I would be all for doing like Ditka and pulling a QB doing bad out of a game and starting whoever was looking best. I would've considered drafting Rosen this year.
I worry more about Trubisky ending up fragile like Grossman and getting shell shocked from being left in his bad games.

One reason that wouldn't be a good idea is Bears fans and media. There's enough BS QB controversy over every imperfect QB play when they know there's no chance of the QB being benched. If you bench the starter it only gets worse and becomes a distraction.