My Biggest Fear With the Increase of Roughing the Passer Penalties

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I knew that the stupid calling of the roughing the passer penalties was going to bite someone in the ass when they started trying to not get called for the penalty.

Well, it happened to the Dolphins.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966169/article/hayes-tore-acl-while-avoiding-putting-weight-on-qb

Hayes tore ACL while avoiding putting weight on QB

Defensive end William Hayes suffered a torn ACL, coach Adam Gase said Monday, relaying that the pass rusher was injured while trying to avoid putting his body weight on the quarterback during a second-quarter sack.

Imagine if it happens to one of the Bears because they are trying to not get flagged

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Know how to tackle, and you won't have a problem with that.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I knew that the stupid calling of the roughing the passer penalties was going to bite someone in the ass when they started trying to not get called for the penalty.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966169/article/hayes-tore-acl-while-avoiding-putting-weight-on-qb

Imagine if it happens to one of the Bears because they are trying to not get flagged

This is a real concern, but I don't know what a reasonable solution would be..

The NFL isn't going to go back on the rule I don't think.. so there's one solution off the table.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This is a real concern, but I don't know what a reasonable solution would be..

The NFL isn't going to go back on the rule I don't think.. so there's one solution off the table.
The only thing I can think of is that they call a sack much more quickly.

Just rap up the QB and it is over. No chance of him throwing it away or fighting to escape the tackle.

This way, defenders will think twice about getting the big hit instead of just the sack.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Just rap up the QB and it is over. No chance of him throwing it away or fighting to escape the tackle.

This way, defenders will think twice about getting the big hit instead of just the sack.

You mean like the old "in the grasp" call that was called correctly, guessing here 25 percent of the time. I don't remember exactly how long it took for the league to shitcan that rule.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I said this in another thread, only half jokingly:

Redshirt the QB and play that position and that position alone like flag football.

Thoughts?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You mean like the old "in the grasp" call that was called correctly, guessing here 25 percent of the time. I don't remember exactly how long it took for the league to shitcan that rule.

What is worse?

The in the grasp call that is wrong 75% of the time or the roughing the passer call that is now wrong 75% of the time?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

My biggest fear if that happens to one of our Bears Defenders is that you will rage quit CCS and I'll miss your sig.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Redshirt the QB and play that position and that position alone like flag football.

Thoughts?

Just place one of those proximity sensors that beep when a defender gets close (like cars when they are parking). If he gets close enough, he is sacked.

j/k

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

Thoughts?

No way imo, but yeah it won't shock me if/when it happens.

Thing is QBs will hate it especially mobile ones who can shrug out of arm tackle reaches due to partially-blocked pressure by D. It would open up whole new arenas of interpretations for each possible iteration of a pressure, a hit, etc.

Monster

Liked Posts:
The refs are keeping a lot of drives alive.
This does swing the odds to offensive teams.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Get over it- it is what it is.

I am not in love with the rules, but not going to bitch about it- it could be far worse.

Imagine if they tried to protect a QB as much as they did kickers.
Touch a kicker without deflecting the ball first, 15 yards.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

so two hand touch?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky was very effective last week in drawing the roughing the passer penalty.

Question: If Trubisky hands it off to Cohen, and in a trick play he passes it down field to Shoulderless Miller, and then he get's crushed. Does Cohen get the same liberties for the call as the quarterback?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Trubisky was very effective last week in drawing the roughing the passer penalty.

Question: If Trubisky hands it off to Cohen, and in a trick play he passes it down field to Shoulderless Miller, and then he get's crushed. Does Cohen get the same liberties for the call as the quarterback?

Interesting. I would guess not.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does anyone have video of the actual injury as this claim seems a bit dubious?