My Biggest Fear With the Increase of Roughing the Passer Penalties

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if I'm a defensive player and I feel as if I will get flagged no matter what, I might as well make it worth it and hit the QB as hard as I can to take him out. Also I think if there's a roughing the passer penalty, the QB should be out for at least a snap to get looked at by team doctors since he was roughed up

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Does anyone have video of the actual injury as this claim seems a bit dubious?

follow the link up top.

It seems like he tried to soften the blow by taking weight with his legs.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
if I'm a defensive player and I feel as if I will get flagged no matter what, I might as well make it worth it and hit the QB as hard as I can to take him out. Also I think if there's a roughing the passer penalty, the QB should be out for at least a snap to get looked at by team doctors since he was roughed up

it will go from a roughing the passer to ejection and fines

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

I agree... if the team accepts the penalty he should go to the sideline... Actually a brilliant IDEA

Reactions: DC

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Know how to tackle, and you won't have a problem with that.

How do you tackle someone and not have your body weight fall on them? To me there is a difference between landing on someone because there is no alternative and pile driving your weight. That's the shit the refs need to figure out.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How do you tackle someone and not have your body weight fall on them? To me there is a difference between landing on someone because there is no alternative and pile driving your weight. That's the shit the refs need to figure out.

I would not be opposed to that being a retroactive booth penalty. The NFL can afford to have 3 or 4 guys (including a couple cameramen) with the focus being the QB and an almost instant booth call for a flag.

....but.... moving the penalties to the booth would destroy the game- can you imagine the 40 or 50 holding or hands to the face calls each game would get?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Wrong.

Some of the calls are a joke. They have nothing to do with proper tackling.

Its simple. If you can rive a QB into the ground, you're going to get a flag. If you simply tackle them, you will be fine.

It's only ignoramuses like Clay Matthews that can't figure it out...

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Its simple. If you can rive a QB into the ground, you're going to get a flag. If you simply tackle them, you will be fine.

If it was that simple then it would not be such a point of contention and be under review by the Competition Committee.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

They kinda have. Matthews lowered his shoulder and drove the QB to the ground. Penalty.

We smashed Rogers and bent his leg back. No penalty.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
They're trying to completely eliminate rattling a QB or making him feel any pressure so they can get money in their pockets for big scoring games. It's taking away from the sport and how defenses have always game planned vs say a Tom Brady or probably any other QB. "Putting your full body weight is an emphasis". It's such bullshit.

I heard on sports radio this morning saying Jimmy G has two prime time games coming and now they're all upset that the games won't be worth watching (tied in the tackling rules to this). It isn't about player safety. It's about the NFL trying to make more money.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

I may heard wrong, but the Brazilian announcers said that there were 30 roughing the passer so far (in the middle of the Monday night game) in the season and 17 of them happened during week 3. So 13 of them in 2 weeks and 17 happened this week?

If you think that they were all driving the QB to the ground, you are just plain wrong.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
They're trying to completely eliminate rattling a QB or making him feel any pressure so they can get money in their pockets for big scoring games. It's taking away from the sport and how defenses have always game planned vs say a Tom Brady or probably any other QB. "Putting your full body weight is an emphasis". It's such bullshit.

I heard on sports radio this morning saying Jimmy G has two prime time games coming and now they're all upset that the games won't be worth watching (tied in the tackling rules to this). It isn't about player safety. It's about the NFL trying to make more money.

It has nothing to do with keeping QBs from being rattled. But it definitely does have to do with keeping the leagues QBs...their top moneymaking players...as healthy as possible.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
It has nothing to do with keeping QBs from being rattled. But it definitely does have to do with keeping the leagues QBs...their top moneymaking players...as healthy as possible.
I meant the first part more as a pissy pants fan observation. The money thing is their end all be all.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
This is a real concern, but I don't know what a reasonable solution would be..

The NFL isn't going to go back on the rule I don't think.. so there's one solution off the table.

I heard on the radio here on the east coast that the league is meeting about the "concerning" amount of calls. I understand the spirit of the rule, but IMO it hurts the game. You have a qb scrambling or sitting there like a duck and the goal is to put him on his ass(a tackle) it's not 2 hand touch. When you tackle another person you fall with them. There is collateral damage from time to time. The insurance policies need to be adjusted for inflation of surgery rates and lets call it a day and watch football! These guys know the inherent risks of this game. IMO of course.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
You know, I understand the players bitching and crying abut the new rule. What they are use to and what not. I get it. But it’s not hard to follow the rule. You can’t let your body fall on top of the quarterback. If your going full speed and you have a straight way to the quarterback, wrap him and swing him to the floor. If you can’t do that because of “momentum” then just extend your arms and push him down with just your arms. If you don’t get him down that way, well that’s the new rule. It’s not easy to get a sack now. That’s al it is. I don’t see the difficulty of this. Aaron Donald last night showed how to do it. He had a straight line to the quarterback. Quarterback didn’t even move. And Donald was going full speed. Yet he still simply wrapped him around and swung him. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Not everybody is the athletic freak that Donald is. Lots of guys will be missing tackles trying to throw guys. You think you can throw cam newton to the ground?

Most QB’s at least have a little mobility. It’s way harder to get them to the ground than you’re making it sound. They’re not unathletic statues who are just gonna stand there and let you sling them around like a rag doll.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

Love it. For the rest of that series.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Hicks was on the score the other day, he said he thinks about it when he gets close. Hearing him talk about the fresh meat when Rosen got in the game was awesome. He said he does get upset that you chase a guy around all afternoon and cant hit him when you get there.

The answer seems to be go after the ball, get the ball loose, then everyone is fair game.. When the ball is loose you can hit the guy.

My question is, watching GArrafalo go out for the year with the ACL, why dont more quarterbacks use the Rodgers braces or something like it.

We know that speed is part of the game, and the days of knee pads, thigh pads, hip pads has gone, but I remember watching some college games, it might have been iowa or ohio state and the entire team wore knee braces as a precaution.

We know they made the helmet a really efficient weapon, maybe its time to get to the knees and stop these MC and ACL explosions.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You know, I understand the players bitching and crying abut the new rule. What they are use to and what not. I get it. But it’s not hard to follow the rule. You can’t let your body fall on top of the quarterback. If your going full speed and you have a straight way to the quarterback, wrap him and swing him to the floor. If you can’t do that because of “momentum” then just extend your arms and push him down with just your arms. If you don’t get him down that way, well that’s the new rule. It’s not easy to get a sack now. That’s al it is. I don’t see the difficulty of this. Aaron Donald last night showed how to do it. He had a straight line to the quarterback. Quarterback didn’t even move. And Donald was going full speed. Yet he still simply wrapped him around and swung him. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrapping and swinging to the floor is also going to be called a penalty.