Trubisky's Progression from week to week....stats and technique review

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've posted pieces of this information in different threads...I thought I would collect them here....

I know some here exclaim him a bust....some say wait and see very few say he will be the man......

We all want him to be up to speed and throwing TDs to win games.....

This info was for my own edification of what Trubisky is actually doing and how or if he was truly getting better....

I decided to post his stats from week to week to include completion percentage, number of times he left the pocket and ran, and his yards per attempt...

I also decided to count the number of throws where he had a clean pocket and got time to set his feet when he threw and whether he threw with good or bad technique and what his completion percentage was.....I did not include super quick screens or passes that could not require time enough to plant or rollouts and passes on the move....only clean enough pocket passes

Week 1 Green Bay

14 good throws and 10 completions 71.4%
16 bad throws and 9 completions 56.3%

7 scrambles for runs 4.9 Passing Yards per attempt

week 1 Trubisky looked uncomfortable in the pocket

Week 2 Seattle

8 bad throws and 4 completions 50%

5 scrambles for runs 5.9 passing yards per attempt

week 2 was highlighted by more designed rollouts and less pocket throws

Week 3 Arizona

18 good throws and 13 completions 72.2%
6 bad throws and 2 completions 33.3%

2 scrambles for runs 6.3 passing yards per attempt

week 3 included more attacks down field...Arizona blitzed more so Trubisky had to leave the pocket more often

Conclusion......I doubt numbers will change anyone's minds, especially given Bears fans emotions surrounding the QB position, but I see slow, steady progress....Trubisky is much better when he has time to plant his feet (like most QBs) and I see him doing this more often from week to week on his pocket throws.....also, after week 1, the coaching staff is mobilizing him from the pocket a little more.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've posted pieces of this information in different threads...I thought I would collect them here....

I know some here exclaim him a bust....some say wait and see very few say he will be the man......

This info was for my own edification of what Trubisky is actually doing and how or if he was truly getting better....

I decided to post his stats from week to week to include completion percentage, number of times he left the pocket and ran, and his yards per attempt...

I also decided to count the number of throws where he had a clean pocket and got time to set his feet when he threw and whether he threw with good or bad technique and what his completion percentage was.....I did not include super quick screens or passes that could not require time enough to plant or rollouts and passes on the move....only clean enough pocket passes

Week 1 Green Bay

Week 2 Seattle

Week 3 Arizona

week 3 included more attacks down field...Arizona blitzed more so Trubisky had to leave the pocket more often

Conclusion......I doubt numbers will change anyone's minds, especially given Bears fans emotions surrounding the QB position, but I see slow, steady progress....Trubisky is much better when he has time to plant his feet (like most QBs) and I see him doing this more often from week to week on his pocket throws.....also, after week 1, the coaching staff is mobilizing him from the pocket a little more.

This is EXACTLY why I believe that "the passing touchdown" becomes a thing in this offense THIS WEEK against the Bucs.

Thanks.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Modo, I do appreciate the work you are doing on this, just want to let you know that.

I don't want to make snap judgments on our QB.......I stayed too long with Cutler and should have seen his complete and utter lack of progress; I taught myself a lot more about real and proper QB technique over the past few years........I am encouraged by what I see. But we need to see where the ceiling is....some QBs hit it late, some quickly, some fool you into thinking they will be good.....and some never get it.

The QBs with the physical tools that never get it are completely hampered by the inability of their mental process to connect the dots....and for an NFL QB there are a lot of dots to connect.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How are you determining a good and bad throw?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
How are you determining a good and bad throw?

basically for a clean pocket with time to plant.......on some of the quick screens they are literally hike and throw.....not counting those....Mitch doesn't miss them...sometimes he does have time to plant and throw.......

on throws where he is on the move and throwing, not counting those.....

throws where he is hit when throwing...not counting those....even if he has good technique....only happened once I think

only throws where he is in the pocket throwing and has a legit amount of time to set and throw.....

The good is when he can plant the front foot and move his body in a proper throwing motion....

The bad is when he has time but doesn't set or he throws off the back foot or his body doesn't progress thru the proper throwing motion.

I knew the whole screen and short pass thing would come up...that is why I included the Yards per attempt stat....

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In some respects yes, Trubinsky is better than the week before. Signficantly? No but this was on the road against a traditionally good defensive team.

My biggest concern, and one that will continue to bother me, is Red Zone efficiency with this offense. You have to punch the ball in if you are going to win football games. 1 TD and three FGs are nice enough in 1983 but in this day and age, when an elite QB on the other team can score 21 in 20 minutes (see Rodgers and our first game) you have to convert opportunities. I'm certainly willing to give Trubs some benefit of the doubt since he is dealing with a new system with new receivers and very little on field prep time in the pre-season (Nagy is at fault for that) but stalling at the 10 repeatedly will get you an L as often as a W.

There will come a time, maybe this weekend, where we will have to open it up. Tampa has playmakers on offense. Their receivers are among the best in the game. We might be able to get to Fitzpatrick and make him create mistakes but he will get some points too. We have to capitalize on those mistakes and put seven on the board and not just settle for 3.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Red zone efficiency is affected by a lot of things.....the right play vs the defense has to be called.....that is probably one of the biggest thing that affects the red zone...

The players then have to execute...and that means everyone.....I think you will see more running plays in the weeks going forward when the Bears get deep....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
a lot of good Trubisky throws were on hitch routes between 7 to 10 yards....some of the decent gainers were on rollouts.....

Trubiskys longest pass play was on a perfectly planted pocket pass......when he starts doing this a little more often, you will see a change...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
basically for a clean pocket with time to plant.......on some of the quick screens they are literally hike and throw.....not counting those....Mitch doesn't miss them...sometimes he does have time to plant and throw.......

on throws where he is on the move and throwing, not counting those.....

throws where he is hit when throwing...not counting those....even if he has good technique....only happened once I think

only throws where he is in the pocket throwing and has a legit amount of time to set and throw.....

The good is when he can plant the front foot and move his body in a proper throwing motion....

The bad is when he has time but doesn't set or he throws off the back foot or his body doesn't progress thru the proper throwing motion.

I knew the whole screen and short pass thing would come up...that is why I included the Yards per attempt stat....

So, it's your opinion on whether it's a good or bad throw?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, it's your opinion on whether it's a good or bad throw?

on whether the plant was good or bad, yes my opinion.....if I didn't think I saw improvement, I'd be more concerned....and again these are only for clean pocket passes....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
what I didn't judge was if the arm is in the proper L shape position, the overhead reach was ok or if there was a proper pocket underneath the ball with the hand....can't tell some of these at game speed...also would have been a bit overkill.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Bears are finding ways to move the ball, I do see small improvement, get the win Sunday then work on things ..

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
TB is going to be a good test for the Mitch.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Week 1 Green Bay

Week 2 Seattle

Week 3 Arizona

These stats mean nothing without distance traveled on the pass's. If the average pass in week one traveled 12 yards, while the average pass in week 3 traveled 5 yards, you can't compare the two. JV football players in high school could throw a complete shovel pass.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
They're going to rush him hard and stack the box most likely. Could be ugly if he doesn't turn a corner.

It could, Arizona has a good defense if nothing else, so this maybe similar to that game stat wise. I havent sat down and looked at defensive stats yet by team , but TB and ARZ seem similar.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
It could, Arizona has a good defense if nothing else, so this maybe similar to that game stat wise. I havent sat down and looked at defensive stats yet by team , but TB and ARZ seem similar.
Their front rush is a lot better than their secondary. I know Conte sucks, and not sure what Grimes has left since I don't follow the bucs. Looks like they got good pressure last night though. JPP and some others were constantly in the backfield.