05’ Bears allowed 202 points

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
That 2005 team faced some garbage QBs. They were great, but Pickett, Ramsey, Aaron Brooks, Harrington, rookie big Ben, Culpepper, Delhomme, Dilfer, Anthony Wright, Detroit Jeff Garcia, and Chris Simms aren't scaring anyone.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This years defense is on pace to allow 293

I love what are D is doing, but we are nowhere near 05 defense. I understand offenses are different now and that means the times are different. In the times of today, you must put up 24+ point to have a chance to win.

I think the offense will be a huge improvement by week 8. Our offense will be averaging 23.9 point and defense giving up 18.8 point after week 8

If you guys want to drive the bears boat, then don’t wear your packer jerseys. Lotta trolls on this board.

So you think we will take until Week 8 to start scoring slightly less than the amount it takes to win?

So how bad will our record be?

Personally, I believe we can hold teams to 16.4.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Mel Tuckers 2013 squad let up 478 in case you wanted to remember that.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Cool, since we are just extrapolating data, this bears defense is on pace to be the best pass rush in history, beating the 84 bears for most sacks in a season with 74.5

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Mike Brown went out after the first series and they had a street free agent one on one with him on the TD where he straddled the goal post. Terrible defensive call...

Pretty sure it was peanut getting clowned on.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The 05 Bears rested their starters in the last game of the season and allowed 34 points to a team that they allowed 3 points against earlier in the season.

I'll never forget the look on Tommie Harris, Urlacher & Briggs face after the backups gave up a TD to put the Ravens back in 1st place for the least amount of points given up in a season.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
IMO the 05 Bears might have been better than the 06 Bears if they had Grossman the whole season, as while Grossman wasn’t good Orton was historically awful in 05.

Then again, if the 06 Bears were as healthy on defense as the 05 Bears they were the better unit. The first six games in 06 before Brown went on IR were the most dominant defense I have seen in my life.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2005 Def. DVOA —> -19.4 (19.4% above average)
2006 Def. DVOA —> -20.1 (20.1% above average)
2012 Def. DVOA —> -26.7 (26.7% above average)
Current Def. DVOA —> -27.8 (27.8% above average)

DVOA takes into account and values points and yards based on situation (5 yards on 3rd and 5 is more valuable than 5 yards on 3rd and 10)

Football Outsiders' DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) metric accounts for every aspect of defense: how well teams prevent yardage, how often they get turnovers, and how well they keep points off the board. DVOA measures success on each play, defined using down and distance, then compares it to an NFL average baseline adjusted for situation and opponent.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

DVOA takes into account and values points and yards based on situation (5 yards on 3rd and 5 is more valuable than 5 yards on 3rd and 10)

Football Outsiders' DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) metric accounts for every aspect of defense: how well teams prevent yardage, how often they get turnovers, and how well they keep points off the board. DVOA measures success on each play, defined using down and distance, then compares it to an NFL average baseline adjusted for situation and opponent.

Not sure how points can be valued based on situation in regards to defense. If you are doing that, then you are just rewarding defenses on teams with good offenses, because the points they allow wouldn't be as important.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:

I certainly think DVOA looks like it has always had value, but have always quested how they could have the 2012 Defense above the 05 Defense. The turnovers were huge in that I’m sure, SOS probably played a factor, but they still end up with 12 a good deal ahead of 05 which makes little sense.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I'll never forget the look on Tommie Harris, Urlacher & Briggs face after the backups gave up a TD to put the Ravens back in 1st place for the least amount of points given up in a season.

Pretty sure going into the Vikings game they already allowed 168 points which was more than the 00 Ravens.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
IMO the 05 Bears might have been better than the 06 Bears if they had Grossman the whole season, as while Grossman wasn’t good Orton was historically awful in 05.

Then again, if the 06 Bears were as healthy on defense as the 05 Bears they were the better unit. The first six games in 06 before Brown went on IR were the most dominant defense I have seen in my life.

Watching Tommie Harris the first half of 06 was thing of beauty. Nobody could block him! I was at the third game in Minnesota that year and if it wasn't for him causing the RB to fumble late in the 4th Qtr we lose that game.