Should the Cubs Sign Zobrist Past 2019?

garapp

Liked Posts:
After his down year in 2017, I am pleasantly surprised that, at 37, he is having the year he is having.

Love to see the Cubs Sign Zo thru 2021.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Let's just see how he does in 2019 but I would probably say no. He's going to fall off big time sooner rather than later. If he wants to sign a cheap deal I wouldn't be opposed to it. His leadership is good.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No. He wants to continue he should move on.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Worst idea ever to sign a 37 year old player to a contract.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think it depends. One thing is cost. Another is length of deal. Yet another is intended role. And lastly, I think it also depends on what the team looks like. I have no problem with having him as a bench bat for a year or two at the right cost should the cubs move around some pieces and clear up the log jam of players they have. But I mean I'm probably not giving him another $12 mil a year to do that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think it depends. One thing is cost. Another is length of deal. Yet another is intended role. And lastly, I think it also depends on what the team looks like. I have no problem with having him as a bench bat for a year or two at the right cost should the cubs move around some pieces and clear up the log jam of players they have. But I mean I'm probably not giving him another $12 mil a year to do that.

Rather give opertunity to Nico and Ademan myself. I think that Baez will end up the starting SS next year. This Russell drama is just plain bad and him being a Boras client I just don’t see them wanting to push through a distraction on a contender.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rather give opertunity to Nico and Ademan myself. I think that Baez will end up the starting SS next year. This Russell drama is just plain bad and him being a Boras client I just don’t see them wanting to push through a distraction on a contender.

Assumption that they are ready by then. Maybe they are but it would be pretty aggressive promotion. And even then I don't necessarily think it's a mutually exclusive situation. Zobrist can play multiple positions which is valuable if someone can hit. Like I said a lot depends on the situation present. Is Russell still around? Is Happ? Is Bote? It's entirely plausible that by the time it comes to make that decision they may not be. And at that point you might look to Nico/Ademan as starters rather than bench pieces.

Either way, I don't think dismissing the idea out of whole cloth right now makes sense. If the fit is right I'm fine with it.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It would be awesome to have Zo back after next year. But I dont think he will take a 2 year 5 million dollar contract like Grandpa Rossy did. If he wants that to play 60 games, no question to bring him back. But with Happ and Bote basically taking the super utility role, it should not be a 10 million dollar a year deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Assumption that they are ready by then. Maybe they are but it would be pretty aggressive promotion. And even then I don't necessarily think it's a mutually exclusive situation. Zobrist can play multiple positions which is valuable if someone can hit. Like I said a lot depends on the situation present. Is Russell still around? Is Happ? Is Bote? It's entirely plausible that by the time it comes to make that decision they may not be. And at that point you might look to Nico/Ademan as starters rather than bench pieces.

Either way, I don't think dismissing the idea out of whole cloth right now makes sense. If the fit is right I'm fine with it.

If it was me:

First rid myself from the Russell drama.

That leaves me at Baez at SS. I have no back up but I do have Freeman. Then I have Bote, Zobrist and Happ who I can use 2B as a pivotal position. Zo was GG considered in 2017. so if they chose to play him every day and get winter work in with Bote at SS thus he becomes the main UI.

Ademan should be in AA and Nico in A+. I believe Nico is in AZ Fall so we can see how he responds to talent soon. Ademan I see as a pure UI so as long as his glove is solid pushing him is really not a huge issue.

The main issue is if Bryant is a injury risk going forward. At that point you do have to concider other avenues. I for one am ok with going after Machado if this situation dictates. At that point you decide on Bryant full time in left to protect him then Schwarber becomes tradable

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I would say no. He is a roster spot at that point. At some point either almora takes over or he is gone too.. if we do sign Harper, the space becomes crowded especially if Schwarber stays. Your outfield would be a combo of heyward,Schwarber,Harper with the platoon of almora,bryant(factoring bote at 3rd here).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would say no. He is a roster spot at that point. At some point either almora takes over or he is gone too.. if we do sign Harper, the space becomes crowded especially if Schwarber stays. Your outfield would be a combo of heyward,Schwarber,Harper with the platoon of almora,bryant(factoring bote at 3rd here).

Harper most likely is resigning. Rizzo would have traded him if they felt it was a impasse. His D is in decline fast also. So it is a bad signing in general.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Beck, thoughts on Murphy as every day 2nd baseman next year. People say he is below average on defense, but he has looked fine to me (little limited range)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Beck, thoughts on Murphy as every day 2nd baseman next year. People say he is below average on defense, but he has looked fine to me (little limited range)

Well... I mean for me if I'm the cubs I'm trying to sign Machado. Setting aside the Russell situation, if you get Machado you at the very least can go Machado/Baez at SS/2B. If Russell's still around you can probably talk about one of the three at 3B and Bryant in a corner OF slot.

As for Murphy himself... I'm not sure. I haven't given it much thought and dove that far into the numbers. I'm kinda tired tonight and may go to bed soon. But I'll try to dive a bit deeper into the numbers tomorrow to give a better take. Off the top of my head, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea. I'm probably with the camp that doesn't love him at 2B defensively but I mean the cubs are going to have pretty good defense regardless of who plays 2B. So, it wouldn't be putting a bad defender into a bad defense already. And there's some obvious upside with the bat.

Overall, I kinda need to figure out what I want them to do with their players overall. I largely think their starting pitching is fine if Darvish goes back to the guy he used to be and they bring back Hamels on his option year. And the bullpen if they say bring back wilson and/or add an arm or two is probably ok. But in my eyes they probably need to move around some parts with hitters and I'm not entirely sure what I think the best play is. Russell's situation makes it even sketchier. Either way though it feels like they have good hitters who don't necessarily fit well together. That's why I think we're seeing guys who have good years but then we have the weird spells where the offense can't do anything.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Murphy is ok and I don’t dislike it. I agree that if you are looking to add you would rather go after Machado. But that would be regarding Bryant. 2B honestly is a place that you can stuff a bat. But I would rather let Zo start at 2B with Baez at SS. Then have Bote in as the main day off guy as his bat is not a vacuum

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess the question would be more along the line of, 'Does Zobrist want to continue to play beyond 2018?'.

He probably should retire at that point. He is still decent in spot roles but that won't continue forever and his days of being an everyday player are probably gone.

If we can get him cheap for 2 years to bridge until retirement I suppose so but otherwise let him finish someplace else.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

I think it makes sense if the price is ok and if the Cubs belief of the Russell situation is that he will be suspended/basically out of the league come next year. But let's not mince words, Murphy is an atrocious defender. He has 120 balls in his "zone" and he has gotten to 81 of them for a 67.5% rate. Only two guys (Moncada and McNiel) are worse. If you look at the median 2B, it's usually in the high 70s. An extra 10-15% of balls is 12-18 balls that a "normal" 2B gets to that Murphy doesn't.

I have long argued that I believe the Cubs best play is sign Harper, move him to 1B when Rizzo is going to be an impossible resign and trade Schwarber for a good arm out of the pen (preferrably LH and cost controlled).

Zobrist - 2B
Harper - LF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Baez - SS
Heyward - RF
Contreras - C
P
Happ/Almora - CF

The backup plan is Machado (who comes with the benefit of not costing a first and will keep Javy and his tags at 2B)

Zobrist - LF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Machado - SS
Baez - 2B
Heyward - RF
Contreras - C
P
Happ/Almora - CF

If BOTH guys are super expensive then keep Murphy

Murphy - 2B
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Baez - SS
Zobrist - LF
Heyward - RF
Contreras - C
P
Happ/Almora - CF

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I just want Heyward to opt out.

League is putting the cubs in a real bad position because they are only suspending Russell thru sunday.

I dont want Machado since he is demanding to play SS. Its basically another Russell. I say if we are stuck with Russell, fuck Russell and put him at second base and let his ego take a hit. I am tired of watching his weak arm from ss.

Bote is a stud and deserves more time, whether its third or second and backup SS.

garapp

Liked Posts:
I assume that was a mistype and you know Zo is signed thru 2019.

If Zo has a good 2019 I say sign him to a cheap contract after 2019 thru 2021 and let Zo retire with a smile on his face at age 40

This depends on if Ben wants to play after 2019

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Zo isn't a free agent until after next season. He had a really good year offensively. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that out of him again in 2019. If he remains with the Cubs past next season, it has to be for cheap regardless of how much he plays.