2017 Draft deal...present and future ramifications

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Chicago dealt the No. 3 pick, their third round pick (No. 67), one of their fourth round picks (No. 111) and a 2018 third-round pick to move up and take Trubisky

To swap one spot in the draft, Pace gives up two 3rds and a 4th. Possibly excessive, but not super-high picks given up.

Unfortunately, Pick #67 in the draft ended up being Alvin Kamara...ouch.

What if Bears stood pat at #3 and simply waited for Trubisky? Trubisky falls to the Bears, they keep their other mid-round picks, and conceivably they wind up with both Trubisky and Kamara. Would the Bears passed on a RB like Kamara in the 3rd round since they already had Jordan Howard? Well, the Bears did take a RB in the 4th round (Cohen), so its not out of the realm of possibility, IMO.

What if the Bears stood pat at #3, and somebody traded up to #2 and selected Trubisky? Possibly the best case scenario. Not only is the Kamara situation still in play, but the Bears could have added Jamal Adams from LSU with their #3 overall pick. Or, if they were intent on drafting a QB, they could have settled for Patrick Mahomes or even Deshaun Watson.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like it could have been better for the Bears

That's a game every team can play since the beginning of the draft......are you assuming we would have drafted Kamara? Do we write off Tubisky? What if he progresses and becomes at the level of Brees?

These what if scenarios are filler in between reality....I think a better time to make this judgment is where Trubisky actually winds up....too early in my opinion.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe the Browns trade up and draft Trubisky. Then the Bears take Watson. He plays well enough to get Fox an extension then blows out his knee. Now the Bears have Fox and a gimpy Watson. Dodged that bullet.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Chicago dealt the No. 3 pick, their third round pick (No. 67), one of their fourth round picks (No. 111) and a 2018 third-round pick to move up and take Trubisky

To swap one spot in the draft, Pace gives up two 3rds and a 4th. Possibly excessive, but not super-high picks given up.

What if Bears stood pat at #3 and simply waited for Trubisky? Trubisky falls to the Bears, they keep their other mid-round picks, and conceivably they wind up with both Trubisky and Kamara. Would the Bears passed on a RB like Kamara in the 3rd round since they already had Jordan Howard? Well, the Bears did take a RB in the 4th round (Cohen), so its not out of the realm of possibility, IMO.

What if the Bears stood pat at #3, and somebody traded up to #2 and selected Trubisky? Possibly the best case scenario. Not only is the Kamara situation still in play, but the Bears could have added Jamal Adams from LSU with their #3 overall pick. Or, if they were intent on drafting a QB, they could have settled for Patrick Mahomes or even Deshaun Watson.

Ouch is right. If Trubisky doesn't pan out to be the QB Pace thought he could be, this draft is going to sting for a long, long time.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've missed you Rory... like the Sun misses the flower in the depths of Winter.

:crying:

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad your back Rory. In regards to your post, we could play the "what if" hindsight draft game with just about any draft the past 30 odd years although I'm not sure what any of it proves ultimately... That said, I do think Pace's decision to trade up for Mitch is definitely worth discussing, far more interesting, and is getting somewhat lost in all the angst over Mitch's play thus far.

I can totally understand people being frustrated at Mitch's production thus far but I feel like people are misdirecting a lot of their frustration at him instead of Pace who is the guy ultimately to blame for being in this situation in the first place.

What are your feelings on this Rory, genuinely curious as I wasn't really paying much attention to the board during that time and don't recall where you stood on all this stuff? What were your thoughts on the Bears QB situation going into that draft? Did you have a preference to who the Bears took QB wise? Did you want to trade up, stay put, trade back? Did you like Pace's decision to trade up for Mitch?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I liked the move up. I'm glad Pace hit his target. So sick of not swinging at the ball. We needed to go hard after a QB and we finally did. We finally get how important it is. Whether we picked right or wrong I will be glad we have tried.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I liked the move up. I'm glad Pace hit his target. So sick of not swinging at the ball. We needed to go hard after a QB and we finally did. We finally get how important it is. Whether we picked right or wrong I will be glad we have tried.

We had so many QBs in the time the Packers had 2 HOFers in there. We had zero consistency. I am also glad we made a decision and went to get who we wanted. I am positive that Trubisky will become a very good QB for the Bears. Good for Pace.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If we're doing hindsight drafts let's do 2005 and get Rodgers instead of Benson. Then we don't even need Mitch in 2017. Plus the Packers don't get Rodgers. That's how you do hindsight drafts.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

There are too many NFL insiders that have confirmed that Another team or two were interested enough in Trubisky and would ave moved up and gotten him

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
What if my butt was my face, I could spew crap like this too.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The perfect 3 round draft would have been Mahomes, Ju Ju and Kamara. They need to give me the job and a time machine.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My issue has never been how they picked Trubisky but rather in the evaluation. If Pace thought Trubisky is the type of QB that can lead a franchise for a decade, then yeah, move a mountain to get him. Otherwise, at least imo, we need to stop overvaluing the position of QB. If Trubisky turns out to be the player Pace thought he'd be, then (insert 3rd or fourth round player) who? If he doesn't pan out to be who he's thought to be then we won't have to worry about Ryan Pace anymore.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
If the Bears keep those three picks we should probably have one solid starting caliber player and one decent depth or ST player. Enough that we would likely be 3-0.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If the Bears keep those three picks we should probably have one solid starting caliber player and one decent depth or ST player. Enough that we would likely be 3-0.

Do decent depth players (Kwiatkowski) or ST players (Bellamy) win you Super Bowls?