Defense Wins Championships? Watch Sunday's Game...

napo55

Liked Posts:
Tampa Bay is the top rated offensive team and the Bears are the 6th rated defensive team (and probably the no. 1 "impact" defense). This will be a good test of the saying that is like a religion to many Bear fans.

So do you buy into it?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Tampa Bay is the top rated offensive team and the Bears are the 6th rated defensive team (and probably the no. 1 "impact" defense). This will be a good test of the saying that is like a religion to many Bear fans.

So do you buy into it?

Nah, more often than not a QB playing great wins championships.

In todays NFL a good qb beats a good defense any day of the week. See tonights game.

Lucky for us, history has also shown fitzpatrick has shown in the past to be snake oil

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Our offense will finally come together Sunday....Mark...My...Word...

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Nah, more often than not a QB playing great wins championships.

In todays NFL a good qb beats a good defense any day of the week. See tonights game.

Lucky for us, history has also shown fitzpatrick has shown in the past to be snake oil

Seattle has something to say about that with Manning when he had he best year ever for a QB.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Seattle has something to say about that with Manning when he had he best year ever for a QB.

How about the Giants taking down Brady, Moss and the undefeated Patriots?

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears and Bucs combined have one playoff appearance in the last decade. I'm not sure why you would use their meeting in week 4 of 2018 as a test for the value of defense instead of looking at results of the NFL as a whole over a period of time.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The Bears are susceptible to big plays on defense. Because of that, I do see the Bucs getting a couple TDs because of how they open it up downfield. I just don't know if the Bears can match that on offense the way Trubisky has been playing. The Bucs actually have a good run defense so they are going to have to take advantage of a bad Bucs pass defense. Can Trubisky do it? I am not sure. Ofcourse, Fitzpatrick could gift us a few INTs as well. Pretty much evens out to a pick em game.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears have the #2 rush defense and Tampa has the 30th ranked rushing attack. If Fitzpatrick can some how beat us by throwing it 40+ times than he deserves to win. But giving Mack 40+ tries to hit someone is just unfair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Defense is still very important but when you have no offense at all, makes it hard to beat teams who do.

napo55

Liked Posts:
The Bears and Bucs combined have one playoff appearance in the last decade. I'm not sure why you would use their meeting in week 4 of 2018 as a test for the value of defense instead of looking at results of the NFL as a whole over a period of time.

Seems like an interesting match up with the top offense going against probably the top defense . That's all.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Wait, the championship is this weekend?

Seems like an interesting clash of good defense vs good offense. You are correct that it isn't a championship games. Congratulations on your insight.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Seems like an interesting clash of good defense vs good offense. You are correct that it isn't a championship games. Congratulations on your insight.

LOL. You'e the one who made the thread title. Yeah I knew what you meant, but you didn't title this:

"Interesting Clash Between Top 10 Offense vs. Top 10 Defense".

You had to know a ribbing was coming on this board, right? It happens. Go Bears!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Not to mention the 2015 Broncos beating the Panthers.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Fitz can not seem to handle pressure in the middle, we have Hicks, Goldman, Bullard, RRH even Nichols. With Mack demanding special attention these guys could have a field day.

Tampa runs a 4-3 mainly, so we need to try and take advantage of the middle of the field, and run to the edges, not so much up the middle. Trubisky has a chance against a poor secondary to prove that he can improve.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Turnovers will matter the most in this game.

Bears defense is a little weak against passing TDs. They are only 1 of 3 teams left not to allow a rushing TD and I expect that to continue. Defense has to hold them to less then 20pts is my guess.

Username

Liked Posts:
Maybe Mitch will magically find strength and accuracy in his throwing arm, but if not, this team will not be able to beat a good team, as already demonstrated.

napo55

Liked Posts:
LOL. You'e the one who made the thread title. Yeah I knew what you meant, but you didn't title this:

"Interesting Clash Between Top 10 Offense vs. Top 10 Defense".

You had to know a ribbing was coming on this board, right? It happens. Go Bears!

That saying is used to justify giving preference to the defense by many Bear fans. It'[s not really about championships. But you're right. Shouldn't expect some folks to think beyond the literal.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So far defense is driving the Bears but to win a championship you need to score points. Especially in todays NFL. There are three phases, Defense, Offense and Special Teams. Championship caliber teams are solid at all three and better than that in at least one. The Bears need to step it up on offense, right now they are barely competent. Then we can talk championship.