Anybody still have any of these?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I hate stories like this because they aren't really accurate representations IMO. Most of these high dollar card sales are pristine copies with no flaws or very very few. For example if you were to open a pack of cards today there's no guarantee an untouched card would get a 10 grade from the card grading services. Often they are off centered or have some other defect. It's the "perfect" ones that tend to bring big money.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
There are a lot of woulda, coulda, shoulda with the older stuff. I can't believe I garage-saled all my GI Joes with the string you pulled out from their chest that made them talk.

Holy Cow

Liked Posts:
Had MM card in a box with hundreds of other cards.. not sure or don’t remember the year of the MM card..the box was stolen years ago..still have some unopened packs..hoping for the best

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If ya got questions, I can answer them for you. Used to own a card shop and still do a show from time to time besides online stuff.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If ya got questions, I can answer them for you. Used to own a card shop and still do a show from time to time besides online stuff.

I really wish I could, Brett. Nobody to blame but myself. I don't remember the time this happened but my Mom assures me that I okayed her dumping my card collection many years back. I don't doubt her, I was a young jock only interested in girls. It was just about the time my younger brother starting collecting comic books which grew to a value of over $400,000. I wish he knew then what he knows now, he would've never let me dump those cards. BTW, he is slowly selling off his collection through professional internet auctions to pay for his son's college education. He was always the smart one....

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I hate stories like this because they aren't really accurate representations IMO. Most of these high dollar card sales are pristine copies with no flaws or very very few. For example if you were to open a pack of cards today there's no guarantee an untouched card would get a 10 grade from the card grading services. Often they are off centered or have some other defect. It's the "perfect" ones that tend to bring big money.

This is a good point. Almost every situation like this the card is pretty much 9.8-10/10, at least from my experiences.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
How many of you on here collect cards or other Cubs/sports memorabilia?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I really wish I could, Brett. Nobody to blame but myself. I don't remember the time this happened but my Mom assures me that I okayed her dumping my card collection many years back. I don't doubt her, I was a young jock only interested in girls. It was just about the time my younger brother starting collecting comic books which grew to a value of over $400,000. I wish he knew then what he knows now, he would've never let me dump those cards. BTW, he is slowly selling off his collection through professional internet auctions to pay for his son's college education. He was always the smart one....

So a major part of the reason why cards are so valuable is stories just like yours.

My dad had his card thrown away when he went away for school. He had all the guys from the early 50's thru late 50's. One thing that was saved was his half way completed Parachute Erector Set that I sold for him for like $3,000.

I sold off my collection to pay for our wedding.

I am in the process now of selling my collection again to pay for a year or two of college.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This is a good point. Almost every situation like this the card is pretty much 9.8-10/10, at least from my experiences.

Even a terrible conditioned 52 mantle can bring in nearly $10K and the Wagner $100K+++. It all depends on what it is for sure. But even bad conditioned older cards gain get a seller upwards of $100 each card. Multiply that by several hundred or thousand cards and you have a treasure trove.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I tecall a story from 20 years ago where a guy in my hometown gave a box of cards to a neighbor kid, and there were cards in there worth thousands.

Kid’s dad took them back, and the guy said “No. I gave them to him”, and let the kid keep them.

Always thought that was pretty cool.