Sucks How the Refs Can Directly Affect the Outcome of a Game

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think the bad calls have more of an affect because of three things...overall league parity/salary cap, injuries, and rule changes.

1) Salary cap means you can't keep your best players...teams paying an assload of money to top QBs end up being deficient in other areas. Vast majority of the league hovers around the 7-9 to 9-7 mark. Hard for team to excel in all phases of the game.

2) Injuries...even if you do have a 'good' team, that team is usually dependent on superior performance from one or two players. If a superior player gets injured, then the good team immediately falls back to 'mediocre'. Teams can't afford to have superior depth in case of injury.

3) Rule changes...the NFL is now basically 'red zone ball'...every drive ends up being a scoring drive, the only question is if the defense can stop you in the redzone and hold you to a FG, or if they allow a TD. Blowouts don't happen as often as even teams with Josh Allen at QB can scrounge together 28 points. Games are seemingly back-and-forth scoring, so if a ref call upsets that flow, it ends up costing one team the game.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ok, please explain the blatantly bad calls that won us the Cardinal game, buddy.

how about roughing the passer penalties when the defender would make tubersky close his mouth

ATLBear

Liked Posts:
OK so the refs missed some calls that favored the Rams, so what. The refs missed quite a few holding calls on the vikings that most likely would have resulted in a sack in turn taking points off the board. More often than not the bad calls go both ways and equal out, basically haveing very little effect on the game.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Rams are the NFL's anointed team right now.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
OK so the refs missed some calls that favored the Rams, so what. The refs missed quite a few holding calls on the vikings that most likely would have resulted in a sack in turn taking points off the board. More often than not the bad calls go both ways and equal out, basically haveing very little effect on the game.

Again, there is a difference between a bad or missed call and a blatantly bad call.

Again, there is a huge difference between a bad or missed call and getting the call right and then getting together and annulling the good call for a bad call.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Block in the back would have been an absurd call to make

The defender comes flying in and wasn’t anywhere near making a tackle. Yeah, the guy finishes him off by shoving him but I’d be irate if my team was called for that. He completely over ran the play. He had no chance at making that tackle.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It seems that the Hochuli rule is about fumbles.

Blowing the play dead is an old rule that sucks.

We would have lost the last game with that rule lol. Allen Robinson had the ball punched out after the play was blown dead.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Block in the back would have been an absurd call to make

The defender comes flying in and wasn’t anywhere near making a tackle. Yeah, the guy finishes him off by shoving him but I’d be irate if my team was called for that. He completely over ran the play. He had no chance at making that tackle.

That's what I thought as well.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
For those thinkng the refs influence games...how do you propose this issue is fixed?

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
the bears for the first time in forever have been on the good end of the refs fuckery this season

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
We would have lost the last game with that rule lol. Allen Robinson had the ball punched out after the play was blown dead.

Wait a minute. Are you talking about the play where Robinson was on the ground in awkward position while clearly not having an inch of forward motion and then the defender came in and knocked the ball out?

I would have had zero problem with the play being reviewed because it would have been upheld as it was called on the field.

Thankfully, the defender went for the ball instead of Robinson's body because he would have been injured on the play.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
For those thinkng the refs influence games...how do you propose this issue is fixed?

That is an excellent question and the truthful response is that I don't know.

It probably has to begin by getting rid of that idiot in the top spot of officiating, Alberto Riveron. Considering that he does everything to defend the officials, it is already starting by having to fight an uphill battle. Consider how he used one (wrong) point in time to defend the Miller "drop" in his video. How can we expect some form of policing the officials if the head of officials cannot be honest?

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
The other call was worse. They got the call right and then changed it to a wrong call. How the hell do you do that?

It would like if the Theilen TD had not been whistled dead and then, after review, the play got overturned because Peters swiped at him twice so he was trying to touch him while he was on the ground.

Yeah I agree with the other call being worse. I just brought this up because in soccer, for e.g., they started implementing that the line refs should leave it be and let VAR take care of any discrepancies for those very close call ones. I always thought the NFL should function in much the same way. Any border line calls, you let it play out and review after. This way, you always end up with the right call, either by video reversal, or the play stands and it's a TD. If you blow the whistle, you're only 50/50. If the play should have kept going, you can't take that away.

As for changing it to the wrong call, I have zero explanation, tbh.