Sucks How the Refs Can Directly Affect the Outcome of a Game

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Watching yesterdays thrilling Rams 38 - 31 victory, it was sad that the refs were the cause of 10 points (all in favor of the Rams).

First, there was the play where Theilen caught a long pass, Peters completely missed touching him twice while he was on the ground, and then Theilen got up and ran free towards the end zone only to have the play whistled dead. It was an obvious TD that was denied because of ref error. I believe that the Vikes didn't score on that drive, but even if they got a field goal, it was at least 4 points taken away.

Then there was the huge Gurley run where the cameras had a perfect view of the lineman blocking the defender in the back, Gurley running behind the block and the ref throwing the flag behind Gurley. Then the idiot refs picked up the flag and decided that it wasn't a penalty. How can they take back such an obvious call. The drive ended in a field goal which would have never have happened if they were 50+ yards further back.

The refs caused between a 7 and 10 point difference in the Rams favor.

Now I understand that anything could have happened if the Rams were down by three or the game had gone into overtime, then again, the results could have also been different if the Vikes had the ball with 2 minutes and only needing a field goal to win the game.

That being said, it was a result in favor of the Bears. However; it is frustrating to see how the refereeing has gotten so bad (and that was without any roughing the passer penalties). Next time, it may be the Bears who suffer such bad refereeing.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Refs affect nearly every single game with a marginal call or a no call, so it is part of football..

Both of the ones that you pointed out were blatantly obvious, so those do hurt the team that did not get the call.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I feel that refereeing has always been bad, but with more and more camera angles, being able to slow the play down, etc they are scrutinized more and more. It's human error and it's just part of the game, imo.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's called moving the goal posts for a reason.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I still can't believe they blew the whistle on the Theilen TD. If in doubt, eat the whistle. Let video review handle that. Refs should never blow those plays dead. It was a TD and gets automatically reviewed, you'd be able to see if he was touched then, but blowing that play dead definitely cost the Vikes 7 points. The game is very different with that one TD.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Refs affect nearly every single game with a marginal call or a no call, so it is part of football..

Both of the ones that you pointed out were blatantly obvious, so those do hurt the team that did not get the call.
I agree that there are marginal calls that happen every game, but the blatant ones that are happening this year are getting ridiculous.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I feel that refereeing has always been bad, but with more and more camera angles, being able to slow the play down, etc they are scrutinized more and more. It's human error and it's just part of the game, imo.
Missing a blatant call is one thing. Overturning a blatant call is a whole other animal.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Somehow the Bears are getting the calls this year, and everything is going against the Packers for the first time ever. Let it go.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I still can't believe they blew the whistle on the Theilen TD. If in doubt, eat the whistle. Let video review handle that. Refs should never blow those plays dead. It was a TD and gets automatically reviewed, you'd be able to see if he was touched then, but blowing that play dead definitely cost the Vikes 7 points. The game is very different with that one TD.

The other call was worse. They got the call right and then changed it to a wrong call. How the hell do you do that?

It would like if the Theilen TD had not been whistled dead and then, after review, the play got overturned because Peters swiped at him twice so he was trying to touch him while he was on the ground.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It's called moving the goal posts for a reason.

Moving the goalposts or shifting the goalposts is an idiom which means changing the terms of a debate or a conflict after it has started. The phrase describes changing the target or goal of a process. In a dispute or a competition, the idiom explains what one side does in order to gain advantage.
Sorry, but I don't get what you are trying to say.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's the human element part of the game. It will never be perfect.

I just wish there was a way they can change the "blown dead" plays.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:

Wasn’t that the Ed Hoccoli (not sure if spelled right) rule? Letting the play go before blowing the whistle. Or was that just on fumbles?

JoeyBones21

Liked Posts:
Unrelated but is the "moving the goalposts" thing new? I don't think I ever heard that phrase until this year and now I see it all the damn time.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Wasn’t that the Ed Hoccoli (not sure if spelled right) rule? Letting the play go before blowing the whistle. Or was that just on fumbles?

It seems that the Hochuli rule is about fumbles.

Blowing the play dead is an old rule that sucks.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The Vikings lost, that is all that matters.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
That's the human element part of the game. It will never be perfect.
There is a bad call and a BAD call.

Calls that are bad are similar to football plays that are bad. As an example, when a player drops a ball or a defender drops a ball can be considered a bad part of the game.

Calls that are BAD are a whole other animal. They are the last second Saints Viking playoff game when the defender only had to tackle the receiver and continue playing the next week, only to mysteriously put his head down and dive a foot away from the receiver, taking out any other defender who might be able to tackle the receiver and keep the Saints from losing.

Those kind a plays are not a normal part of the game, just like picking up a flag on a blatant penalty isn't either.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The Vikings lost, that is all that matters.

tumblr_ob7l4a6Hae1rkr10go1_500.jpg

Funny how it doesn't matters ... until they come after me.