Bilal Nichols

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RRH is probably the Bears 2nd best interior pass rusher.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
RRH is probably the Bears 2nd best interior pass rusher.

I would say Nichols look as good if not better.

And RRH isn't a great penetrator against the run. But I love his overall package. He sheds well and hold his position well and is effective as a pass rusher.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Is Nichols big/strong enough (at 6'4" 290lbs) to keep taking snaps at NT?

Those measurements aren’t accurate he’s 305+ In a pinch they have him play there but Fangio is putting him in a position to exceed and use his talents while still learning

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought as long as you post the link to the article that you were allowed to?

You're not allowed to use the R word (mentally challenged) either and you used it in a post yesterday so if you wanna try to throw people under the bus and be a snitch then we can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by xer0h0ur View Post
Oh really? So that is your excuse for bitching out on not wanting to sign your homegrown talent in Adrian Amos? Cool story bro. Thankfully I don't believe Pace is as Special person as some of you that don't see any value in his play.

THANKS

It was a heads up letting you know its a part of the enforced rules now. I didn't know using that word was prohibited.

Thanks.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not the article in its entirety. Pasting the first couple of paragraphs as a "teaser" is acceptable. No one is getting banned for that...just do not be offended if a staff member edits your post. I know it is the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun Times that give Rush and Zack the most grief for it.

As far as the language goes....seems a lot of posters are testing out the new staff with what is considered obscene. There may be some terms that get added to the autofilters already in place. Until then...same as above...do not be offended if a staff member edits your post.

Thanks.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
I loved this draft pick! Pace did his homework. Late round gem flying under the radar from a "small school" Ridiculously agile for a big man. Rare combination of quickness and strength. High football IQ. Love this kid....and he is in the perfect situation to develop into an excellent player. Solid part of the D-Line rotation.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Wasn't the knock on Nichols that in 2017 he was just eating blocks due to scheme change,where as in 2016 he wasgetting up the field more??SO are we seeing more of the 2016 version.

You know Nichols is a rookie right? Are you talking about his play at Delaware?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You know Nichols is a rookie right? Are you talking about his play at Delaware?

I think it was pretty widely reported that he was more effective as one gap player in 2016 compared to playing two gap in 2017. Yes, with Delaware.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
RRH plays 5 tech much of the time when he's in. Nichols plays a one gap technique in the A gap or shades the center and clearly his main job is to get up field - and as Huxster mentioned he was used to absorb blocks in 2017 and didn't look as good. To make this even more clear, Nichols already has three stuffs (tackles for loss on RB) in four games. RRH has zero in his career.

First off nichols was basically a nose tackle in 2017 in fact from the highlights, all i saw was a change in responsibility. he was asked to hold more blockers over penetrating and when you say looked better in what way ? He looked good enough to play nose tackle but like everyone who plays that position all stats go to fucking high hell. Everything you've said eludes the truth when it comes to people who actually know anything about the Xs and Os of football. Go rewatch both of his tackles for loss from Arizona and bucs he doesn't shoot the gap right away. He isn't a 3 technique, a 1 gap only player he has lined up all over the interior from 0 to 5. RRH has 3 times the snaps of Nichols. RRH gets the most 1 on 1 blocks or close to an olb opposite mack. I like rrh but he had to gain so much weight in a short time i don't see a guy who has weighted 300 pounds his whole football life. He will eventually be strong enough for his position and weight class but because he had to transition from an outside guy to an interior player he isn't as strong as you would like.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
First off nichols was basically a nose tackle in 2017 in fact from the highlights, all i saw was a change in responsibility. he was asked to hold more blockers over penetrating and when you say looked better in what way ? He looked good enough to play nose tackle but like everyone who plays that position all stats go to fucking high hell. Everything you've said eludes the truth when it comes to people who actually know anything about the Xs and Os of football. Go rewatch both of his tackles for loss from Arizona and bucs he doesn't shoot the gap right away. He isn't a 3 technique, a 1 gap only player he has lined up all over the interior from 0 to 5. RRH has 3 times the snaps of Nichols. RRH gets the most 1 on 1 blocks or close to an olb opposite mack. I like rrh but he had to gain so much weight in a short time i don't see a guy who has weighted 300 pounds his whole football life. He will eventually be strong enough for his position and weight class but because he had to transition from an outside guy to an interior player he isn't as strong as you would like.

I wish I could understand you but your writing is unclear. Here is the video of Nichols blowing up Jones. He's blowing through the A gap, too quick to be blocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlez9HFeK3E

Notice the announcer saying "that's just get off."

Against Arizona in his TFL he was shaded on the strong side of the center and basically went unblocked.

8:23 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwqaIHFXgM

He's better at penetrating right now, and he played better than way in college. That's not to say he won't get better at that and he will definitely play more as he grows. He's strong, good hands, and really explosive off the ball. Here's the Bears area scout discussing him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bpTgYP1RZ8 "Probably will be a 3 position back up for us." Penetrator.

RRH isn't close to as explosive off the ball, but he's very good using his hands and length and he's getting strong. Here's some film of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyyAuJQX_u8

Against the run, he's mostly taking on blocks and doing it pretty well.

I think Nichols will be the better player. But I think and hope both are with the Bears for a long time because they are both really good players.

mumrahel

Liked Posts:
Im pretty sure Nichols is stronger than RRH and Bullard and would hold up "in the trash" better. The word out of Delaware, from what i read was that he played NT because he was the only player on the team capable in the coaches 3-4 scheme. They obviously didn't do him any favors, bcuz his stats suffered, its safe to say if he played DT that final season he likely would have piled up some stats and gone by the 3rd round at the latest. I see him as a 1st round guy who was penalized draft stock wise by where they played him and where he played. Lucky for the Bears tho.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
He did a great job staying home on a screen against Tampa I wish I could find video of it. It's one thing to have his explosiveness and size, but good schemes can take advantage of that by baiting out over-penetration. To see him stay disciplined though and have the presence of mind to make a read and react...very exciting. I am fine with him being a rotational player for now, simply because RRH and Bullard are both good players and keeping everyone fresh keeps them all playing better, but Nichols is clearly destined for a big role.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree captn. While he clearly excels getting up field, and isn't overly wide by NFL standards, I think that year of dirty work at Delaware serves us well and shows his willingness to do what is necessary in scheme. Surely he learned about getting off blocks and staying home...just increasing his adjustment to different tasks he needs to do at NFL level. Versatile young lineman with explosion!! He reminds of a defensive version of Daniels.

Bears depth is as exciting as early success. Hold onto our butts after the Jets game though, Trubs has a bit to learn yet.