Can Tarik Cohen take Howard’s job?

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Today Cohen seemed to have more snaps, his YPC is 2 above Howard on the season, and Cohen is a better receiver. We’ve heard questions about if Howard fits all offseason, while Cohen would excel. So far, Cohen has shown that he can not only be a true number two running back, but also shown he can be a true number two receiver (let’s leave the discussion about Bellamy being a true number four or not out) and solid starting back.

Personally, I think it is great that a man of his size can compete for a starting job with a Pro Bowl back in this day and age. What do you think?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think they've evolved into more of a 1a 1b type combo. A better question would be "which one is 1a?"

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Today Cohen seemed to have more snaps, his YPC is 2 above Howard on the season, and Cohen is a better receiver. We’ve heard questions about if Howard fits all offseason, while Cohen would excel. So far, Cohen has shown that he can not only be a true number two running back, but also shown he can be a true number two receiver (let’s leave the discussion about Bellamy being a true number four or not out) and solid starting back.

Personally, I think it is great that a man of his size can compete for a starting job with a Pro Bowl back in this day and age. What do you think?

I think it was a matchup thing this game....TBs secondary is a mess and miss a lot of reads.....Howard will see more targets and carries when it is appropriate...

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No. They're different players. They fill a different role. Today was just a weird game because Tampa Bay couldn't cover the pass at all. The Bucs said "Pass", so the Bears passed.

This is still a running and defense team and we'll need Howard's talents.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was reported earlier that Pitt wants a 2nd and a good player for Bell. Howard and maybe a 3rd for Bell? He'd kill it in this O.

:troll:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think Howard may be the first quality player we have to let walk at the end of his contract...

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Tarik Cohen lead the Bears in receiving yards today his speed makes him a bigger threat in this offense.

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
we are all aware Jeffery wanted to leave. I doubt Howard will want to...

Paying for running backs is risky business. Paying too much for a receiver is stupid.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I think one guy or the other will be more effective depending on the defenses we`re facing. This could be a real strength for us. Both guys are studs who can get it done.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I think it was a matchup thing this game....TBs secondary is a mess and miss a lot of reads.....Howard will see more targets and carries when it is appropriate...

Imagine that, a coach using weapons depending on the what kind of D he's facing.

I think today showed that Nagy might just be a great coach in the making. He really put the team in the best place to win today.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Ya pretty much this... TB is having a lot of problems with coverage this yr... Nagy game planned very well for this.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Good post and it was hard to miss Cohen getting the carries over Howard.

It may have been a matchup thing as others have suggested, but I think that Cohen starting was a comfort issue for Mitch.

Maybe with pressure Cohen is more of a safety net with hot reads and against 1 on 1 coverage. Maybe its his flexibility over the field. Or maybe it just because he catches the ball better than Howard.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Cohen really makes this offense difficult to defend, but the Bears will still need a runner that can run between the tackles, and I worry about Cohen's durability if he's forced to do that often.

Joliet Jake

Liked Posts:
Very different. Cohen great today, but IMO Howard will be equally as valuable moving forward. Great change of Pace options.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Howard still has a job in this offense. A very important job. Week 4 we didn’t need his specialty.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Howard doesn't seem to have a big role in this offense. Even before today he's been used sparingly. I could see us trading him and getting another all-purpose back in the offseason (FA or draft).