Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Add to it there is a working budget. If costs exceed income then it puts you into the red. The Cubs is owned by the father. Not Tom and I doubt that he would green light a negative budget. Even if he was a Cub fan it would be skeptical

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Seems Nats just went over on their last offer. Now well over 300M. Sox offer to Manny is closer to 200.

I take this as Was was not going to let Philly get Brice. Manny IMO has not seen a offer near 300. If he did then the Sox wouldn’t have lowballed their offer.

I just don’t see Brice in a Cub uni

I take it as Washington never wanted Harper to go, so they threw the 300 million at him, just like the cubs threw 200 million at Bryant, to see if it was enough for Bryce to start his vacation and not have to go around or end up like Jake and Darvish waiting til spring training to sign, then living in a hotel for the first two months in his new city. They did not insult him so why not see if he would have taken it.

I would just expect Harpers contract come with a full no trade for 28 teams.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Add to it there is a working budget. If costs exceed income then it puts you into the red. The Cubs is owned by the father. Not Tom and I doubt that he would green light a negative budget. Even if he was a Cub fan it would be skeptical

And that is a justifiable restriction. My only point has been there is no restriction set by MLB. I'm not suggesting the Cubs run in the red. That being said, I'm not sure what a team's take on jersey sales is, but they'd probably sell a million or two Harper jerseys at least.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And that is a justifiable restriction. My only point has been there is no restriction set by MLB. I'm not suggesting the Cubs run in the red. That being said, I'm not sure what a team's take on jersey sales is, but they'd probably sell a million or two Harper jerseys at least.

If Joe Rickett’s was a baseball fan I would get that. I’m not even sure if he even looks are marketable assets vs hard assets. I can’t fault that company. They bought it for 1 bil and it is up to 5. That is a hard reality. Jersey sales? I think they are turning profit with 3 in the top 5. Harper going up makes another go down. Even then I’m not sure how much the Cubs take home on those sales.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Only if Cubs can find an adequate replacement. They aren't going to dump him for a bag of balls.
Tulo was gonna be that adequate replacement ..

Point was, if they were looking to replace him with Tulo, then it likely their actually looking to move him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tulo was gonna be that adequate replacement ..

Point was, if they were looking to replace him with Tulo, then it likely their actually looking to move him

Doubtful. I take it as if the Cubs were going to give him 100% SS and dump Russell that means 500 PA+
He signs with the Yanks with D.G. returning in the summer. 300 PA and no job.

So in reality if the Cubs were offering what this said it would have been the best opportunity. And he took a worse opportunity?

That is why B.N. is not a reliable source.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would have expected them in on Manny if the were serious about trading Russell.

What I see happening is they will get Russell playing at SS in May-ASG building up trade weight. At the ASG they look to deal him. He should be enough removed from the situation and should have built up some weight by then. Right now he is a non tender candidate.

But I see them pushing Nico up to be the 2B in 2020. By default that is a 3M savings. Add to it a better hitter.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I would have expected them in on Manny if the were serious about trading Russell.

What I see happening is they will get Russell playing at SS in May-ASG building up trade weight. At the ASG they look to deal him. He should be enough removed from the situation and should have built up some weight by then. Right now he is a non tender candidate.

But I see them pushing Nico up to be the 2B in 2020. By default that is a 3M savings. Add to it a better hitter.

This we agree on. Unless a team called me asking about him now and I like what they were offering, you're only going to get a bag of peanuts for him now if you're doing the calling. Once he gets back and can hopefully have some success, he's packaged for a BP arm most likely.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Doubtful. I take it as if the Cubs were going to give him 100% SS and dump Russell that means 500 PA+
He signs with the Yanks with D.G. returning in the summer. 300 PA and no job.

So in reality if the Cubs were offering what this said it would have been the best opportunity. And he took a worse opportunity?

That is why B.N. is not a reliable source.

What's most strange about this is that none of the Cubs writers had it. It's all from NYY guys and their "sources".

Take this one with a grain of salt.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
This we agree on. Unless a team called me asking about him now and I like what they were offering, you're only going to get a bag of peanuts for him now if you're doing the calling. Once he gets back and can hopefully have some success, he's packaged for a BP arm most likely.

If he comes back and has success, why would you trade him?

Castor76

Liked Posts:

I wouldn't necessarily trade him. I think the Cubs might think it's best for them to move on and let him get a fresh start somewhere else.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What's most strange about this is that none of the Cubs writers had it. It's all from NYY guys and their "sources".

Take this one with a grain of salt.

Called we are a elite and the Cubs are not mentality.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

2015: 90 wRC+ 500K
2016: 95 500K
2017: 85 600K
2018: 80 3.2M

So he has fallen short of what we expected. and he cost more.

As far as control 3 years right now. At the deadline 2.5. So that holds value.

As far as the Cubs are concerned their top 2 fielding prospects are MI. So there is that part.

Getting deeper. These kids are getting more pricey so they have to decide on who they extend and who they trade. by extending bad character/production types it takes away from the leader types.

End of the day. Russell has fallen far short on and off the field of what we expected. And when you really think about it. Do you want to absorb payroll in a short stick? I don't I would rather see that invested into a quality product or given to another prospect. (Nico) at low cost.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

As far as the Cubs are concerned their top 2 fielding prospects are MI. So there is that part.

Getting deeper. These kids are getting more pricey so they have to decide on who they extend and who they trade. by extending bad character/production types it takes away from the leader types.

End of the day. Russell has fallen far short on and off the field of what we expected. And when you really think about it. Do you want to absorb payroll in a short stick? I don't I would rather see that invested into a quality product or given to another prospect. (Nico) at low cost.

Judging a SS by wRC+ alone is really, really dumb.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

I think it's the regression as much as anything else. Should he go out and start on a 110-115 wRC+ from when he returns until the end of June, he becomes an asset. Should it be 125, then maybe you pump the brakes on letting him go. Even then, management might have made their minds up regardless.

And at some point the Cubs will have to make the choice anyway. Too many you guys getting deeper into arbitration and you can't pay them all. It'll be the same for Schwarber and Happ next season if they both are still on the team then.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No, no it doesn't.

Accually it does. He held a 13 DRS. and a 80 wRC+. They almost canceled each other out making him league avg.

But it is fine. Someone will think like you do and give a nice trade return.