Offseason rumors/discussion thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That doesn't make sense. The Cubs already tried to trade him at the start of the offseason and found no takers. His value is actually less now after the additional allegations by his girlfriend came out. They surely aren't going to find any takers now or during ST with a suspension still looming.
Possible interested team(s) didn't want to make a move right when the stuff came out but would after things simmer down after a couple months and into ST.

Team could have change of heart or could use a cheap SS replacement then ..

Anything can happen by March..

Hell cubs could just release him then over paying the 4 mil if they dont really want/need him then

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not surprised...
I still think they will trade him eventually and he won't play 1 inning with the cubs..

Possible interested team(s) didn't want to make a move right when the stuff came out but would after things simmer down after a couple months and into ST.

Team could have change of heart or could use a cheap SS replacement then ..

Anything can happen by March..

Hell cubs could just release him then over paying the 4 mil if they dont really want/need him then

That is fair enough but I doubt it.

Right now they are on the hook for 4.25M. He is a suspension case in domestic violence. If the Cubs wanted to they could pull back their offer and let him go to F/A but obviously they chose to ride the shitstorm.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I know most aren't particularly interested in the cubs farm system but I'm really excited for the under 21 guys. I know there's been some doom and gloom about them not winning now they are screwed. The prospect ranking places aren't going to be favorable to the cubs largely because they don't have a Bryant type in their system. But as someone who pays attention to this stuff quite a bit I really like Brennen Davis, Cole Roederer and Raivaj Garcia. I also really like how they fit in with guys who presumably may get extended in Bryant/Baez as well as likely Contreras/Schwarber.

I hyped the hell out of Roederer right after the draft. It's funny that just looking at stats I bumped into the same comp. that you're now seeing people throw on him in Andrew Bennintendi. However, what I'm really excited to see is how Davis plays this coming year. The cubs haven't typically been wrong on hitters. The grades on Davis' hit tool right now are 40's which would be like a .250 type hitter. But he's interesting for a number of reasons. First is he hit .298/.431/.333(132 wRC+) in his 72 PA debut. The second is he didn't commit full time to baseball until just recently. He was previously a basketball star(his father is former NBA All-Star Reggie Theus). But the most interesting aspect of him are the tools. Fangraphs put a 60 grade on his power, 60 on his speed, 60 on his arm and 55 on his fielding. You're talking about a potential 25/25 or maybe 30/30 hitter.... with really good CF defense. If he's better than a .250 hitter... I mean the sky is really the limit. With that kind of toolset he could realistically be one of the best players in baseball.... if he hits.

Garcia is mostly interesting because he hit .302/.362/.355(110 wRC+) at 16 in a league where most of his competition is 3.5 years older than him. I'm thinking he may end up like Luis Urias who similarly at 17 hit .310/.393/.355(123 wRC+) in mesa. Garcia is a bit bigger and has a little bit more power while Urias might be a better pure hitter. But suffice to say, Garcia may end up being a really interesting lead off type hitter at 2B.

I also think while not super noteworthy they have 10-15 guys who are likely either 3-5 starters or 4A depth. That's not going to excite prospect ranking places but consider they paid Chatwood $13 mil/season to do that last offseason and $20 mil for Hamels this season. If they can effectively fill those spots with cheap young guys that's a lot of money they can remove from their books.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
That doesn't make sense. The Cubs already tried to trade him at the start of the offseason and found no takers. His value is actually less now after the additional allegations by his girlfriend came out. They surely aren't going to find any takers now or during ST with a suspension still looming.

Injuries happen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know most aren't particularly interested in the cubs farm system but I'm really excited for the under 21 guys. I know there's been some doom and gloom about them not winning now they are screwed. The prospect ranking places aren't going to be favorable to the cubs largely because they don't have a Bryant type in their system. But as someone who pays attention to this stuff quite a bit I really like Brennen Davis, Cole Roederer and Raivaj Garcia. I also really like how they fit in with guys who presumably may get extended in Bryant/Baez as well as likely Contreras/Schwarber.

I hyped the hell out of Roederer right after the draft. It's funny that just looking at stats I bumped into the same comp. that you're now seeing people throw on him in Andrew Bennintendi. However, what I'm really excited to see is how Davis plays this coming year. The cubs haven't typically been wrong on hitters. The grades on Davis' hit tool right now are 40's which would be like a .250 type hitter. But he's interesting for a number of reasons. First is he hit .298/.431/.333(132 wRC+) in his 72 PA debut. The second is he didn't commit full time to baseball until just recently. He was previously a basketball star(his father is former NBA All-Star Reggie Theus). But the most interesting aspect of him are the tools. Fangraphs put a 60 grade on his power, 60 on his speed, 60 on his arm and 55 on his fielding. You're talking about a potential 25/25 or maybe 30/30 hitter.... with really good CF defense. If he's better than a .250 hitter... I mean the sky is really the limit. With that kind of toolset he could realistically be one of the best players in baseball.... if he hits.

Garcia is mostly interesting because he hit .302/.362/.355(110 wRC+) at 16 in a league where most of his competition is 3.5 years older than him. I'm thinking he may end up like Luis Urias who similarly at 17 hit .310/.393/.355(123 wRC+) in mesa. Garcia is a bit bigger and has a little bit more power while Urias might be a better pure hitter. But suffice to say, Garcia may end up being a really interesting lead off type hitter at 2B.

I also think while not super noteworthy they have 10-15 guys who are likely either 3-5 starters or 4A depth. That's not going to excite prospect ranking places but consider they paid Chatwood $13 mil/season to do that last offseason and $20 mil for Hamels this season. If they can effectively fill those spots with cheap young guys that's a lot of money they can remove from their books.

I think if you went 100% potential Brailyn Marquez. Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50. If you are looking at a player that has something that is unusual then he is it. 98 MPH fastball and more expected growth with a improving curve.

Best bet: Nico Hoerner. Best hit tool sense Almora with out giving up BB%. 60 run tool. I really see him being that lead off that they have been searching for.

Every other guy in the system is Meh honestly. Davis and Roederer for sure you have to keep a eye on right now.

Roederer was not given that much love for
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45. So I really want to see a full year at South bend. If he pulls a 1/2 season then I'll honestly not really care about him.

Brennen Davis Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 70 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45. So he has a huge speed tool. That gives him a basic edge going forward but again they don't play on astroturf so it really doesn't play up in today's game.

But both could bulk up over the next few years and become something interesting. As of right now way too raw to care much.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think if you went 100% potential Brailyn Marquez. Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50. If you are looking at a player that has something that is unusual then he is it. 98 MPH fastball and more expected growth with a improving curve.

Best bet: Nico Hoerner. Best hit tool sense Almora with out giving up BB%. 60 run tool. I really see him being that lead off that they have been searching for.

Every other guy in the system is Meh honestly. Davis and Roederer for sure you have to keep a eye on right now.

Roederer was not given that much love for
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45. So I really want to see a full year at South bend. If he pulls a 1/2 season then I'll honestly not really care about him.

Brennen Davis Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 70 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45. So he has a huge speed tool. That gives him a basic edge going forward but again they don't play on astroturf so it really doesn't play up in today's game.

But both could bulk up over the next few years and become something interesting. As of right now way too raw to care much.

You have to take account of where they can play. Roederer is a 5 tool guy who can play CF. Marquez is interesting because as you say he throws high 90s. But one pitch doesn't really make a player and until he has 2 other 60 or better pitches he's really not that interesting. Frankly, I still think Albertos is more interesting if he figures out his command issues. He's got 3 60 grade pitches and he's only 2 months older than Marquez.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also I wouldn't bother looking at MLB.com right now. Those reports are REALLY out of date. I'm talking midseason. They don't update til feb.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You have to take account of where they can play. Roederer is a 5 tool guy who can play CF. Marquez is interesting because as you say he throws high 90s. But one pitch doesn't really make a player and until he has 2 other 60 or better pitches he's really not that interesting. Frankly, I still think Albertos is more interesting if he figures out his command issues. He's got 3 60 grade pitches and he's only 2 months older than Marquez.

Left handed and velocity will always have a place

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
ESPN

Free-agent catcher Yasmani Grandal agreed to a one-year, $18.25 million deal with the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday, league sources told ESPN, joining the reigning National League Central champions on a short-term deal after passing up longer-term options earlier in the winter.

The 30-year-old Grandal, who turned down a one-year, $17.9 million qualifying offer from the Los Angeles Dodgers and could have pursued a four-year deal worth in excess of $50 million from the New York Mets, instead wound up with the Brewers, who stretched beyond their planned budget to sign him, sources told ESPN.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
You've been dead wrong about everything regarding Addison Russell so far. I mean you're bound to hit one of these predictions at some point but it's getting old.

You could've stopped at "everything." Joe Maddon is still coaching the team, much to the surprise of some...

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Thank You for contributing to the board. I guess you missed the post stating that already. I know two post up is difficult.
I can see that you are in Moderator Spring Training working on you assholedness. By April you should be in prime shape and ready for the season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If LAD wins Realmato the Cubs are going to be in the dust this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'll take the all star game starter now that theo will start dictating normal rest.

You know that the starters are a fan based judgement. And the vast majority of fans have no clue other than vote for major names or teams.

Contreras is a poor catcher. If he is not hitting then he is losing you more games than winning. Shutting down a running game is a very small aspect of the most advanced position in baseball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways. My comment was based off of the crew and the Cards and the Mets all finding ways to get better while the Cubs cry about how they poorly spent.

The Dodgers only weakness is starting catcher. Harper is just inserting hack codes on a 95 win team.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Anyways. My comment was based off of the crew and the Cards and the Mets all finding ways to get better while the Cubs cry about how they poorly spent.

The Dodgers only weakness is starting catcher. Harper is just inserting hack codes on a 95 win team.

All your points are valid, but, even without Harper, so long as the players they have are healthy, are they not getting better?