Offseason rumors/discussion thread

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Baez had a 3 DRS. Russell 13 and that was a down year for him. Zo is 38 and will be lucky to get 500PA. So it makes sense to use Russell in a platoon shift to net needed days off towards both Baez and Zo. It just pays off more vs lefties.

If you don't know what DRS stands for look it up in fangraphs glossary. I'll trust you to educate your self this time.

What does that do with you calling Zobrist a gold glove candidate, and how does that explain Javy being in the final 3 for Gold Glove voting?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bryce Harper has four active suitors as February nears, source confirms: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nationals?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Nationals</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Phillies</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteSox?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WhiteSox</a>, and now <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Padres</a>. At least one other team remains involved on periphery, but overwhelming likelihood is he will sign with one of those four clubs. <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLBNetwork</a></p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1091026043677429761?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 31, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Javy had a 5 then a 5 DRS 2017 and 18 at 2B.
Zo 5 and a 3 there.

They are about equal as 2B over all. Baez has more hype with his tags and his flash and dash style. As far as nuts and bolts go they are fairly equal on getting the job done.

Fans tend to like shinnies more.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Harper meeting with the Padres today..

Of the 4 teams showing the most interest in him
Nationals Phillies Whitesox Padres

I think if offer is right, he'll choose the Padres to be closer to home..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Harper meeting with the Padres today..

Of the 4 teams showing the most interest in him
Nationals Phillies Whitesox Padres

I think if offer is right, he'll choose the Padres to be closer to home..

Think it has more to do with Boras trying to jumpstart the motor. AJ tosses his hook in all of the pools every off-season.

I wouldn't read into local. This is more about pay day. If he was talking discount to a preference I would think the Dodgers and Cubs would be favored. Right now he is seeing undermarket from shitty teams.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Think it has more to do with Boras trying to jumpstart the motor. AJ tosses his hook in all of the pools every off-season.

I wouldn't read into local. This is more about pay day. If he was talking discount to a preference I would think the Dodgers and Cubs would be favored. Right now he is seeing undermarket from shitty teams.
I'm still holding out hope for the cubs, though it a slim hope

Keeping an eye on the Giants, and hoping they still have interest in acquiring Heyward

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm still holding out hope for the cubs, though it a slim hope

Keeping an eye on the Giants, and hoping they still have interest in acquiring Heyward

IDK honestly. I really think this will go into Spring training. This is a Mexican Stand off right now.

Harper or Manny take less it sets a new precedent for future F/A. The owners are in collusion IMO to change F/A.

I can see this as a situation that doesn't resolve because no one will cross the line.

To add to it most teams are playing to win it all or bust and win in the draft.

Mets already said that they were out. I guessed they were a domino effect getting the Nats and Atl in. That didn't play out.

Now it is pretenders calling. CWS and SDP. Both are a year out min and either signing would be more of a not a high pressure decision. That is why they are coming in low. They are building towards vs in a window.

Top teams are playing the cap game or budget game. Again all a part of screwing with the player union.

I'm expecting a strike honestly if the owners screw the union here. They screwed them in the last CBA and this is just an insult.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
IDK honestly. I really think this will go into Spring training. This is a Mexican Stand off right now.

Harper or Manny take less it sets a new precedent for future F/A. The owners are in collusion IMO to change F/A.

I can see this as a situation that doesn't resolve because no one will cross the line.

Mets already said that they were out. I guessed they were a domino effect getting the Nats and Atl in. That didn't play out.

Now it is pretenders calling. CWS and SDP. Both are a year out min and either signing would be more of a not a high pressure decision. That is why they are coming in low. They are building towards vs in a window.

Top teams are playing the cap game or budget game. Again all a part of screwing with the player union.

I'm expecting a strike honestly if the owners screw the union here. They screwed them in the last CBA and this is just an insult.
Always a possibility they take 2-3 yr deals and wait till after the new CBA deal in 2021..
Theyll just be 28/29 then

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Always a possibility they take 2-3 yr deals and wait till after the new CBA deal in 2021..

Strike may happen earlier. What keyed me in was Philly saying that they were going to spend stupid money. Well where is it. All I've heard is they were under market on Brice and Manny. They are currently 50Mil under tax. So yes they can spend 30M on either.

Unless Boras has a 35AAV tag or a 14 year min thing going. Then I do get it. That is on Boras for pricing his guy way beyond reality. But if he is in a 10/300 ball park in offers then what is the problem? pop a player opt and jump if needed.

IMO this is the teams playing the game to get the price down with the Dodgers and the Yankee's imposing limits to spending. Now they can push low ball offers with out the fear.

Yankee's has shown no desire.
Same with LAD.
Cubs pushed out no.
Bost over tax and are showing a low ball approach towards their closer.

4 biggest markets balked. Guess what. No team needs to even compete.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Strike may happen earlier. What keyed me in was Philly saying that they were going to spend stupid money. Well where is it. All I've heard is they were under market on Brice and Manny. They are currently 50Mil under tax. So yes they can spend 30M on either.

Unless Boras has a 35AAV tag or a 14 year min thing going. Then I do get it. That is on Boras for pricing his guy way beyond reality. But if he is in a 10/300 ball park in offers then what is the problem? pop a player opt and jump if needed.

IMO this is the teams playing the game to get the price down with the Dodgers and the Yankee's imposing limits to spending. Now they can push low ball offers with out the fear.

Yankee's has shown no desire.
Same with LAD.
Cubs pushed out no.
Bost over tax and are showing a low ball approach towards their closer.

4 biggest markets balked. Guess what. No team needs to even compete.
That probably the problem..
Harper and Machado were probably banking on teams like Dodgers Angels Cubs Yankees to make them that big offer and it not happening

Instead their biggest interest is coming from bottom feeders like the Sox and Padres

Why I think maybe there a slight chance they take a 2-3 yr deal , or even a 1 yr deal with one of those 4 teams I mentioned and then test FA again

Castor76

Liked Posts:

I think whatever deals they sign will at least have opt outs for year 3 at the latest.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I think whatever deals they sign will at least have opt outs for year 3 at the latest.

Problem is, teams are not offering mega deals to guys hitting 29-30 anymore. The downside risk of injury/age regression is too great, and teams have the data to prove it. If Harper and Machado want to cash in, they have to do it while they're in their mid-20s.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I won't go so far as to say it's collusion as much as every front office has seen how big money, long term deal cripple franchises and they won't do them anymore. Harper has a history of playing fewer than 120 games a season almost as much as he does playing more than 140. Unless a contract had large chunks of the yearly salary tied to games played, he's such a big risk. Machado just seems to have fallen into a void plus the sight of last post season antics and a career OBP less than .340 doesn't help.

The whole thing is like the housing bubble. The market has corrected itself and these are the players felling the pinch of not getting in before the pop.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Problem is, teams are not offering mega deals to guys hitting 29-30 anymore. The downside risk of injury/age regression is too great, and teams have the data to prove it. If Harper and Machado want to cash in, they have to do it while they're in their mid-20s.

I agree. That's why I think a major point to the next CBA will be to lessen the number of years of control a team has and removed the loophole for service time. If the average person breaks into the majors at age 22 year, a team controls them until they're going to be 28 or 29. I think the return is going to be players accepting a 4 year max on contracts with a longer option for re-signing players to benefit smaller market teams.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Still find it funny that most of you gave me a hard time when I said teams wont be offering these guys 10+ years and 35+ per

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Still find it funny that most of you gave me a hard time when I said teams wont be offering these guys 10+ years and 35+ per

What I still find funny is how often you go out of your way to pat yourself on the back while ignoring the dozens of idiotic predictions you've made that haven't come to pass, despite being told at the time you made them that they were idiotic and wouldn't come to pass.

But you do you.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Honestly, fuck the union.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So I find it interesting the number of strength and conditioning types the cubs have hired this offseason. It seems as though that aspect of the team has sort of let them down the past couple of years along with docs who can't seem to identify the issue that Darvish and Mills both had. It will be interesting to see how if at all this changes their health in 2019