Offseason rumors/discussion thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No. His statement was regarding the quality of stats and the variables involved. His comment regarded catching Darvish and Chatwood versus Hendricks along with the inconsistencies of umpire zones.

But he deflects from the fact that Hendricks and Lester, two guys with no history of control issues, saw a huge increase in their BB% once Contreras started catching them every day.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
But he deflects from the fact that Hendricks and Lester, two guys with no history of control issues, saw a huge increase in their BB% once Contreras started catching them every day.
Cubs 2nd in NL in K/BB rate. Sorry. Willy's framing isn't an issue.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I was wondering if they would consider changing how they seed. It's nice to win a division, but the Yankees are far superior to the Indians. If the Yankees win, they shouldn't be playing Boston.

Yeah, I'd support that. The current seeding model devalues the importance of regular season wins. I'd also like to see the first series expanded to a 7-game format. The 5-game format is just too prone to wonky results and really devalues roster depth. You can sail through with 2 great SPs and not much else.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah, I'd support that. The current seeding model devalues the importance of regular season wins. I'd also like to see the first series expanded to a 7-game format. The 5-game format is just too prone to wonky results and really devalues roster depth.
Agreed. Then they would either need to schedule more day/night DH in season or start a week earlier. I don't want to see much November baseball in Northern cities.

greg23

Liked Posts:
The wild card teams should play a best 2 of 3 with all games at the higher seed....tues-wed-thurs

The next round should be best of 5 and begin on fri for one leauge and sat for the other....gives even more value to being a #1 seed division winner as possibly facing a depleted wc winner with no days off on travel.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We miss Fowler. Haven't had a true "lead off" guy all year, with a high OBP.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
See ya Chili?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ok so I've slept on last night's loss and have a few more thoughts.

LHP
Monty
Smyly

RHP
Morrow
Cishek
Strop
Edwards
Chavez

Assuming Chavez really wants to be back, this should be a very realistic starting point for the 2019 bullpen. I forgot last night Smyly is under contract. Historically he has been tough on LH batters. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with that pen. Monty made a stink last year about being a starter which might complicate matters. And I would like to see them add someone good. Problem is outside of Andrew Miller there's not a ton of good LHP options. At the right price he wouldn't be too bad though he did not have a good year.

But either way, you're either looking for 1 or 2 arms for the bullpen depending on Monty wanting to start which is a very good place to be I feel. Additionally, assuming they bring Hamels back, they need no one for the rotation and even have pretty good depth with Smyly and for the moment Monty as part of the bullpen not to mention a guy like Alzolay and Mills at AAA. One thing I think they should focus on is bullpen arms they can shuttle between iowa and the cubs. There's always going to be some injuries so while the aforementioned names above look pretty good, you gotta have depth.

Overall though I like where the pitching is currently sitting. And having Monty as a potential trade piece is fairly interesting. He had a 3.69 ERA as a starter and pitching is alway sexy in trades. They have the pieces to go out and get maybe not a super star but Monty and Happ probably get you a fringe all-star type player though I'm not entirely sure who that would be at the moment.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Sign Machado or Harper

Trade Russell and Schwarber

Add a CFer, 2Bmen and backup Catcher
Need a guy who can stabilize the top of the order

Strengthen the bullpen again

Like to see them try and get younger in the rotation

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I've heard from 4-5 beat reporters today and every single one of them is operating under the assumption that Russell is gone.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I've heard from 4-5 beat reporters today and every single one of them is operating under the assumption that Russell is gone.

I get it from an optics stand point but i don't think it makes them a better team and that's where I have an issue with it. You're not going to get anything useful for him in return now and you're creating a hole you will have to fill.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I get it from an optics stand point but i don't think it makes them a better team and that's where I have an issue with it. You're not going to get anything useful for him in return now and you're creating a hole you will have to fill.

I understand your point from a baseball value perspective and I also think it is completely irrelevant from the perspective that management/ownership seem to be considering. It doesn't sound like this is about "optics." It sounds like they are genuinely disgusted with him and are willing to take a moral stand even if it costs them value.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I understand your point from a baseball value perspective and I also think it is completely irrelevant from the perspective that management/ownership seem to be considering. It doesn't sound like this is about "optics." It sounds like they are genuinely disgusted with him and are willing to take a moral stand even if it costs them value.

If that's the case then trading for Chapman seems rather hypocritical.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If that's the case then trading for Chapman seems rather hypocritical.

It was and Epstein talked about how hard it was for them to do. But they knew he was just a rental and they swallowed hard and did it. Russell is different because he's not a rental; if you're keeping him it's an organizational commitment to a young core player.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It was and Epstein talked about how hard it was for them to do. But they knew he was just a rental and they swallowed hard and did it. Russell is different because he's not a rental; if you're keeping him it's an organizational commitment to a young core player.

Not sure I agree there. You can keep a player until the value is right to deal him. You're not committed for 3 years or whatever. Like I said I get the moral side of why you would do it but I don't really think employers should be arbiters of morality. If the league chooses to suspended him which I imagine they will they are serving out punishment aside from any potential criminal punishment he may still face. And I mean are people going to run him out of the league for this?

What I would like to see instead is for the team to put forth things they want to see him complete before allowing him to play again rather than just dumping a stinky asset. The team talks about being a family a lot. If someone in your family fucks up you don't just make them an outcast. You get them help. Hell, if things go right you might turn him from someone who currently is a negative light into someone who might be a positive force for abuse.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
This is going to be a very fun offseason. I think we're going to see at least 2 "big" trades with guys like Schwarber, Happ, and Russell potentially out there and the Cubs being in the thick of things for Machado or Harper.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Not sure I agree there. You can keep a player until the value is right to deal him. You're not committed for 3 years or whatever. Like I said I get the moral side of why you would do it but I don't really think employers should be arbiters of morality. If the league chooses to suspended him which I imagine they will they are serving out punishment aside from any potential criminal punishment he may still face. And I mean are people going to run him out of the league for this?

What I would like to see instead is for the team to put forth things they want to see him complete before allowing him to play again rather than just dumping a stinky asset. The team talks about being a family a lot. If someone in your family fucks up you don't just make them an outcast. You get them help. Hell, if things go right you might turn him from someone who currently is a negative light into someone who might be a positive force for abuse.

Well, the Cubs are not just an "employer," they're a brand, and that matters. But I feel like we're talking past each other. I'm not taking a position one way or another on keeping him; I'm simply stating that the current reporting is, overwhelmingly--or exclusively rather, that he's gone.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well, the Cubs are not just an "employer," they're a brand, and that matters. But I feel like we're talking past each other. I'm not taking a position one way or another on keeping him; I'm simply stating that the current reporting is, overwhelmingly--or exclusively rather, that he's gone.

Yeah I get where you're coming from. I'm just saying if that's the route they go I think it's the wrong one.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
It's too bad DJ LeMahieu is just meh outside of Coors Field. That would be your leadoff/2B right there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Framing is just border line pitches. I tend to look at raw BB% more honestly. If he is meh on getting a corner call then it is up to the pitcher to put it over the white vs sit in the black.

To me it is better to look at game calling and sequencing pitches. If you see the pitcher shaking him off all of the time they are not on the same page. If they are going along with his calls and the success is there then red flagging a borderline talent is eggheadded.

End of the day the staff was not bad. It was the O being feast or famine. If anything the staff over achieved in face of injuries and under performance. Cherry picking framing is a shitty way of devaluing what he did.