Page 3 of 127 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason rumors/discussion thread

All-Star

The wild card teams should play a best 2 of 3 with all games at the higher seed....tues-wed-thurs

The next round should be best of 5 and begin on fri for one leauge and sat for the other....gives even more value to being a #1 seed division winner as possibly facing a depleted wc winner with no days off on travel.

We miss Fowler. Haven't had a true "lead off" guy all year, with a high OBP.
    WINTER IS COMING.

#BEARDOWN

See ya Chili?
    I'm a Chicagoan till Chicago ends,
    Till we blow like Chicago wind

Hidden Content

All-Star

Ok so I've slept on last night's loss and have a few more thoughts.

LHP
    Monty
    Smyly

RHP
    Morrow
    Cishek
    Strop
    Edwards
    Chavez

Assuming Chavez really wants to be back, this should be a very realistic starting point for the 2019 bullpen. I forgot last night Smyly is under contract. Historically he has been tough on LH batters. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with that pen. Monty made a stink last year about being a starter which might complicate matters. And I would like to see them add someone good. Problem is outside of Andrew Miller there's not a ton of good LHP options. At the right price he wouldn't be too bad though he did not have a good year.

But either way, you're either looking for 1 or 2 arms for the bullpen depending on Monty wanting to start which is a very good place to be I feel. Additionally, assuming they bring Hamels back, they need no one for the rotation and even have pretty good depth with Smyly and for the moment Monty as part of the bullpen not to mention a guy like Alzolay and Mills at AAA. One thing I think they should focus on is bullpen arms they can shuttle between iowa and the cubs. There's always going to be some injuries so while the aforementioned names above look pretty good, you gotta have depth.

Overall though I like where the pitching is currently sitting. And having Monty as a potential trade piece is fairly interesting. He had a 3.69 ERA as a starter and pitching is alway sexy in trades. They have the pieces to go out and get maybe not a super star but Monty and Happ probably get you a fringe all-star type player though I'm not entirely sure who that would be at the moment.

Sign Machado or Harper

Trade Russell and Schwarber

Add a CFer, 2Bmen and backup Catcher
    Need a guy who can stabilize the top of the order

Strengthen the bullpen again

Like to see them try and get younger in the rotation

All-Star

I've heard from 4-5 beat reporters today and every single one of them is operating under the assumption that Russell is gone.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've heard from 4-5 beat reporters today and every single one of them is operating under the assumption that Russell is gone.
    I get it from an optics stand point but i don't think it makes them a better team and that's where I have an issue with it. You're not going to get anything useful for him in return now and you're creating a hole you will have to fill.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by beckdawg View Post
    I get it from an optics stand point but i don't think it makes them a better team and that's where I have an issue with it. You're not going to get anything useful for him in return now and you're creating a hole you will have to fill.
    I understand your point from a baseball value perspective and I also think it is completely irrelevant from the perspective that management/ownership seem to be considering. It doesn't sound like this is about "optics." It sounds like they are genuinely disgusted with him and are willing to take a moral stand even if it costs them value.

All-Star

I understand your point from a baseball value perspective and I also think it is completely irrelevant from the perspective that management/ownership seem to be considering. It doesn't sound like this is about "optics." It sounds like they are genuinely disgusted with him and are willing to take a moral stand even if it costs them value.
    If that's the case then trading for Chapman seems rather hypocritical.

All-Star

If that's the case then trading for Chapman seems rather hypocritical.
    It was and Epstein talked about how hard it was for them to do. But they knew he was just a rental and they swallowed hard and did it. Russell is different because he's not a rental; if you're keeping him it's an organizational commitment to a young core player.

All-Star

It was and Epstein talked about how hard it was for them to do. But they knew he was just a rental and they swallowed hard and did it. Russell is different because he's not a rental; if you're keeping him it's an organizational commitment to a young core player.
    Not sure I agree there. You can keep a player until the value is right to deal him. You're not committed for 3 years or whatever. Like I said I get the moral side of why you would do it but I don't really think employers should be arbiters of morality. If the league chooses to suspended him which I imagine they will they are serving out punishment aside from any potential criminal punishment he may still face. And I mean are people going to run him out of the league for this?

What I would like to see instead is for the team to put forth things they want to see him complete before allowing him to play again rather than just dumping a stinky asset. The team talks about being a family a lot. If someone in your family fucks up you don't just make them an outcast. You get them help. Hell, if things go right you might turn him from someone who currently is a negative light into someone who might be a positive force for abuse.

South Side Chicagoan FrankieLyrical's Avatar

This is going to be a very fun offseason. I think we're going to see at least 2 "big" trades with guys like Schwarber, Happ, and Russell potentially out there and the Cubs being in the thick of things for Machado or Harper.

All-Star

Not sure I agree there. You can keep a player until the value is right to deal him. You're not committed for 3 years or whatever. Like I said I get the moral side of why you would do it but I don't really think employers should be arbiters of morality. If the league chooses to suspended him which I imagine they will they are serving out punishment aside from any potential criminal punishment he may still face. And I mean are people going to run him out of the league for this?

What I would like to see instead is for the team to put forth things they want to see him complete before allowing him to play again rather than just dumping a stinky asset. The team talks about being a family a lot. If someone in your family fucks up you don't just make them an outcast. You get them help. Hell, if things go right you might turn him from someone who currently is a negative light into someone who might be a positive force for abuse.
    Well, the Cubs are not just an "employer," they're a brand, and that matters. But I feel like we're talking past each other. I'm not taking a position one way or another on keeping him; I'm simply stating that the current reporting is, overwhelmingly--or exclusively rather, that he's gone.

All-Star

Well, the Cubs are not just an "employer," they're a brand, and that matters. But I feel like we're talking past each other. I'm not taking a position one way or another on keeping him; I'm simply stating that the current reporting is, overwhelmingly--or exclusively rather, that he's gone.
    Yeah I get where you're coming from. I'm just saying if that's the route they go I think it's the wrong one.

All-Star

It's too bad DJ LeMahieu is just meh outside of Coors Field. That would be your leadoff/2B right there.

Framing is just border line pitches. I tend to look at raw BB% more honestly. If he is meh on getting a corner call then it is up to the pitcher to put it over the white vs sit in the black.

To me it is better to look at game calling and sequencing pitches. If you see the pitcher shaking him off all of the time they are not on the same page. If they are going along with his calls and the success is there then red flagging a borderline talent is eggheadded.

End of the day the staff was not bad. It was the O being feast or famine. If anything the staff over achieved in face of injuries and under performance. Cherry picking framing is a shitty way of devaluing what he did.

CCS Donator

Are they disgusted with him or don't want to deal with the drama? You've heard from sources or these are reports? I'd love links. Not that I don't believe you, because I do.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    Are they disgusted with him or don't want to deal with the drama? You've heard from sources or these are reports? I'd love links. Not that I don't believe you, because I do.
    Wittenmeyer, Levine, Sharma, etc., literally every Cubs reporter who I've heard interviewed today has said they believe Russell is gone.

Russell needs to go. Somethings can’t be quantified by a number.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieLyrical View Post
    This is going to be a very fun offseason. I think we're going to see at least 2 "big" trades with guys like Schwarber, Happ, and Russell potentially out there and the Cubs being in the thick of things for Machado or Harper.
    Sometimes I would label Machado/Harper and the Cubs as hype. Right now I don’t. This ending I’m pretty sure has left a bad taste in the mouths of the team as a whole. Russell is a distraction. Chatwood was a failed signing. When you dish out a 3 year on a guy that is not even good enough to pitch a single out it makes your name mudd.

Darvish: shit happens.

But then you look at what worked. Hamels and Chavez. Worked out great and you have to retain your assets.

Murphy honestly I’m borderline with him. I don’t think I would complain either way.

Happ sophomore slump or gaping holes in his swing?

Schwarber: I see him as a underachieving player. He is not agressive enough and it caused a demotion the year before. When you strike out 140 times in under 500 AB’s there is a fundamental problem with his approach.

Now some guys will work and others will not. I get that. But when you target type A player over and over again your line up becomes type A. In this case type A is not Baez. Type A is wait for your pitch and take first.

Sure that is fine having that in the mix but a whole line up of it becomes feast of famine. A case in point was that last game. The 1 run was manufactured. But 12 innings went by waiting on the big inning. We are not stupid here. We get it. The line up needs more balance and that doesn’t mean 4 lefties and 4 righties. It means speed. Moving guys over and creating runs vs waiting for a mistake.

All-Star

Found theo's comments on Russell interesting. Said he wanted to reach out to both Russell and his ex-wife and get them any help they needed. Those comments didn't come off to me as them already having made up their mind that he was gone. Admittedly, I'm sure he's on very thin ice. But when you preface a question about his future talking about wanting to get him help that doesn't strike me as someone who's already out the door. Seems like they are leaving themselves an out.

OK, so who wants to fight me if I suggest Heyward might think he deserves a raise and will opt out. His balance is a mere 21.5 million per year. He just had his contract comeback year, Harper will be getting 30 something, I think he might believe he can get another 8/200 from a team that loses out on Harper and make himself another 40 million.

He has 5 left so thats around 125.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

Page 3 of 127 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast