Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pitch was probably low and away...lol

I’ve predicted Harper to the Sox and Manny to Philly. Sox are shopping Garcia as is. They are pretty damn serious right now and can absorb 30M per.

Cubs top 2 priorities are a closer because Morrow is always a pitch away so he fits into situational with Strop. And a lead off. They don’t need another power bat with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez and Schwarber

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I’ve predicted Harper to the Sox and Manny to Philly. Sox are shopping Garcia as is. They are pretty damn serious right now and can absorb 30M per.

Cubs top 2 priorities are a closer because Morrow is always a pitch away so he fits into situational with Strop. And a lead off. They don’t need another power bat with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez and Schwarber
Again...
I doubt the Sox actually offer up 30+ per
And
Unless it just about the money for him, I doubt he signs with them if he looking to win any time soon

Sox need a shit more then just a power hitting RFer to start winning, to be dropping a load on 1 guy

Cubs definitely need another late guy and could use a top of order guy, but I could see Theo and Jed shaking it up a little more then just that this offseason..

Whether they drop a load on 1 guy or spread it around to a couple is to be seen, but that lineup is getting a bit of a makeover

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sox are 2 years away right now. No mega deal. I expect Cease on the staff with in a year. So to be legit they need a staff ace and a closer. In house he have a few #2 type guys but Cease has ace stuff.

So honestly the Sox are a good landing spot for Harper. Friendly rivalry with his besty.

Remember Sox are only at 79M. Adding Harper puts it at 109M and that is not even a eye opener. Then Aberau/Harper/Eloy as your 3/4/5 will move the dial in a weak AL central. Indians will be weaker. Rest is piss. Honestly if Lopezand Rondon break out and they get a closer they may move the dial as is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But for the Cubs I would like Britton the most. Miller would cost less but has more risk. But ideally you want a lefty over a righty with Strop and Morrow late inning.

After that I would really hound the Royals over Witt. Edwards and Happ would be a strong offer IMO.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Add to it Sox are at the same point Philly was pre-signing Jake. Sox get a break out like Nola (Lopez is that talented) and they sign a impact contract well... a 12 win improvement is not a stretch. And it opens the door to Cease.

I would stop selling them short. Hann is doing a great job honestly. He saw what Theo did but attacked it via trade vs the draft game.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was just reading the Cubs den and they were bringing up potential upgrades to the OF. Heyward was brought up as a potential move due to his league avg O and GG quality D. The big issue is he is owed 5/100+ and that doesn’t sit well with out eating part of it.

So I decided to look up some similar players and Cano came up. But his situation is interesting. He still plays solid 2B but Sea just traded for a CF and have a 4WAR SS. They could move Cano to 1B and Gordon to 2B also. But there was speculation that trading Gordon for cash relief was another possibility.

One thing that I thought was trading Montgomery back for Gordon strait. What they said Gordon injured his toe which sapped his speed. So inserting him into a CF/2B slot and every day lead off would boost the team. It also gives cash relief to Seattle while bringing back a more tested former starter.

Just a thought but having a 50+ SB threat leading off would be a impact move.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Sox are 2 years away right now. No mega deal. I expect Cease on the staff with in a year. So to be legit they need a staff ace and a closer. In house he have a few #2 type guys but Cease has ace stuff.

So honestly the Sox are a good landing spot for Harper. Friendly rivalry with his besty.

Remember Sox are only at 79M. Adding Harper puts it at 109M and that is not even a eye opener. Then Aberau/Harper/Eloy as your 3/4/5 will move the dial in a weak AL central. Indians will be weaker. Rest is piss. Honestly if Lopezand Rondon break out and they get a closer they may move the dial as is.
2 years away from what ??????

We dont even know who of this current roster will even be on that roster or even good for that matter in 2 years

This whole roster is a bunch of question marks and hopes that they become something right now

Abreu probably wont even be around in 2 years, I doubt they resign him
He gonna be 33 and I'm sure he gonna be looking for a good chunk of change

So, this whole their 2 yrs away is a pipe dream right now, unless your talking about maybe to be a .500 team if certain players progress

So again if I'm Harper or Machado and I got a few offers to my liking, the sox aren't up on that list if were looking to win now and not hopefully be in competing mode in 2+ years

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2 years away from what ??????

We dont even know who of this current roster will even be on that roster or even good for that matter in 2 years

This whole roster is a bunch of question marks and hopes that they become something right now

Abreu probably wont even be around in 2 years, I doubt they resign him
He gonna be 33 and I'm sure he gonna be looking for a good chunk of change

So, this whole their 2 yrs away is a pipe dream right now, unless your talking about maybe to be a .500 team if certain players progress

So again if I'm Harper or Machado and I got a few offers to my liking, the sox aren't up on that list if were looking to win now and not hopefully be in competing mode in 2+ years

Jimenez had 211 AB's at AAA .355/.399/.597 He is just getting the Bryant treatment this year. He will be up.
Cease AA 3-0 1.72 ERA 52 IP Saying this time next year that he will be in the rotation is not a stretch. And he is ace quality.
Kopech should be back from TJ at the same time Cease promotes...

On the team:
Reynaldo Lopez: 7-10 3.91 ERA 188.2 IP
Carlos Rondon: 6-8 4.18 ERA returned from left shoulder rehab.

They have Fulmer and Giolito as place holders. They do need a F/A SP right now. But they cleared James Shields already.

Hitting wise they had 4 hitters surpass 20 HR's. Moncada was at 17.

So scoring runs should not be a issue here.

So ya 2 year window. That is it. You add 2 TOR starters and the dynamic changes.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Jimenez had 211 AB's at AAA .355/.399/.597 He is just getting the Bryant treatment this year. He will be up.
Cease AA 3-0 1.72 ERA 52 IP Saying this time next year that he will be in the rotation is not a stretch. And he is ace quality.
Kopech should be back from TJ at the same time Cease promotes...

On the team:
Reynaldo Lopez: 7-10 3.91 ERA 188.2 IP
Carlos Rondon: 6-8 4.18 ERA returned from left shoulder rehab.

They have Fulmer and Giolito as place holders. They do need a F/A SP right now. But they cleared James Shields already.

Hitting wise they had 4 hitters surpass 20 HR's. Moncada was at 17.

So scoring runs should not be a issue here.

So ya 2 year window. That is it. You add 2 TOR starters and the dynamic changes.

You wrote nothing that gave me any confidence that their 2 yrs away from competing, or even being a .500 team

Jiminez: a stud in the minors, we have no idea how he will be once he reaches the majors.. He a question mark right now as to what they'll get from him in 2020, like I said before, he could be where Schwarber is now..

Cease: question mark at the major league level until we actually see him pitch and succeed at that level

Kopech: sure at some point he may pitch in 2020, unfortunately it may take another season after that before he becomes fully affective again.. Question mark now

Their rotation right now is young talented and raw, we have no idea whom if any will actually be anything more then an average SP after next season... Question Marks

Hitting 20 HRs isn't that big a deal in today MLB, especially when their coming from low average and low on base guys who strikeout a lot...

There not 1 everyday hitter on this team that I'm hanging my hat on and saying he gonna be a solid hitter in 2 years, and that includes Abreu who may not even be with them in 2 years.

If their signing Machado or Harper for 30+ per, how are they gonna afford to sign 2 TOR type SP that will be looking for 30 mil each?
Or
You're hoping that Cease and Kopech will be those guys??? If so, it gonna take more than 2 yrs

Question marks and hope is all this team has right now on paper, so making a big splash right now and bringing in one dynamic player may turn a 60 win team into a 65 to 70 win team in 2019 but it not going to make them competetive in 2020, It'll probably set them back.

Like I said before, if the Sox are smart, they'll be patience and wait and see what they actually have from the young starters in rotation, see who emerges from the hitters and continue to stock up on prospects through the draft and trades..
Maybe in 2 years, they can look to add those dynamic players and hope to luck into the 2015 cubs..
Right now, their still in the 2011/2012 cubs mode

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I was just reading the Cubs den and they were bringing up potential upgrades to the OF. Heyward was brought up as a potential move due to his league avg O and GG quality D. The big issue is he is owed 5/100+ and that doesn’t sit well with out eating part of it.

So I decided to look up some similar players and Cano came up. But his situation is interesting. He still plays solid 2B but Sea just traded for a CF and have a 4WAR SS. They could move Cano to 1B and Gordon to 2B also. But there was speculation that trading Gordon for cash relief was another possibility.

One thing that I thought was trading Montgomery back for Gordon strait. What they said Gordon injured his toe which sapped his speed. So inserting him into a CF/2B slot and every day lead off would boost the team. It also gives cash relief to Seattle while bringing back a more tested former starter.

Just a thought but having a 50+ SB threat leading off would be a impact move.

I think Javy could get to 40.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You wrote nothing that gave me any confidence that their 2 yrs away from competing, or even being a .500 team

Jiminez: a stud in the minors, we have no idea how he will be once he reaches the majors.. He a question mark right now as to what they'll get from him in 2020, like I said before, he could be where Schwarber is now..

Cease: question mark at the major league level until we actually see him pitch and succeed at that level

Kopech: sure at some point he may pitch in 2020, unfortunately it may take another season after that before he becomes fully affective again.. Question mark now

Their rotation right now is young talented and raw, we have no idea whom if any will actually be anything more then an average SP after next season... Question Marks

Hitting 20 HRs isn't that big a deal in today MLB, especially when their coming from low average and low on base guys who strikeout a lot...

There not 1 everyday hitter on this team that I'm hanging my hat on and saying he gonna be a solid hitter in 2 years, and that includes Abreu who may not even be with them in 2 years.

If their signing Machado or Harper for 30+ per, how are they gonna afford to sign 2 TOR type SP that will be looking for 30 mil each?
Or
You're hoping that Cease and Kopech will be those guys??? If so, it gonna take more than 2 yrs

Question marks and hope is all this team has right now on paper, so making a big splash right now and bringing in one dynamic player may turn a 60 win team into a 65 to 70 win team in 2019 but it not going to make them competetive in 2020, It'll probably set them back.

Like I said before, if the Sox are smart, they'll be patience and wait and see what they actually have from the young starters in rotation, see who emerges from the hitters and continue to stock up on prospects through the draft and trades..
Maybe in 2 years, they can look to add those dynamic players and hope to luck into the 2015 cubs..
Right now, their still in the 2011/2012 cubs mode

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Every prospect is a question mark. All you can go with is talent and honing it. If you don't you never are able to produce a Javy Baez or a Kris Bryant or a Rizzo. Or a Jon Lester or a Clayton Kershaw.

Every great player at one point was a unknown factor. All you can go with is talent and bringing it out. That is it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Every prospect is a question mark. All you can go with is talent and honing it. If you don't you never are able to produce a Javy Baez or a Kris Bryant or a Rizzo. Or a Jon Lester or a Clayton Kershaw.

Every great player at one point was a unknown factor. All you can go with is talent and bringing it out. That is it.
Exactly..that my point
So to sit here and say their definitely 2 years away is silly when you have no idea who on the current roster or in the system will actually be a solid mlb player in 2020..

It all hope and question marks right now, so you dont go out and sign an impact player for shit load of money and surround him with a roster full of hopes and question marks and hope for the best...

If I'm that player, if money is equal and or not the main issue, then I'm considering the team that in better position to win now, not one that will hopefully be good enough to compete in 2 years

If they get 30 mil offers from Phillies Braves Yankees Nationals Angels Dodgers Cardinals Cubs Sox

I would bet the mortgage the sox would be their last choice

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Interesting. White Sox are in on Evodeli's market also. 2nd component to turning it around.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Exactly..that my point
So to sit here and say their definitely 2 years away is silly when you have no idea who on the current roster or in the system will actually be a solid mlb player in 2020..

It all hope and question marks right now, so you dont go out and sign an impact player for shit load of money and surround him with a roster full of hopes and question marks and hope for the best...

If I'm that player, if money is equal and or not the main issue, then I'm considering the team that in better position to win now, not one that will hopefully be good enough to compete in 2 years

If they get 30 mil offers from Phillies Braves Yankees Nationals Angels Dodgers Cardinals Cubs Sox

I would bet the mortgage the sox would be their last choice

I'll bet Jon Lester would have been entertained by your eulogy in 2015.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'll bet Jon Lester would have been entertained by your eulogy in 2015.
That really a terrible comparison..

Outside of Lester having ties with Epstein and trusting him and his process to building a winning team..

The 2015 cubs actually had a good mix of veterans to go with the kids and they weren't horrible in 2014 with a team full of question marks.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That really a terrible comparison..

Outside of Lester having ties with Epstein and trusting him and his process to building a winning team..

The 2015 cubs actually had a good mix of veterans to go with the kids and they weren't horrible in 2014 with a team full of question marks.

It is actually very accurate. Cubs were a bunch of farm prospects with crap teams for years. Theo had done nothing but tank major league teams to get better lottery picks. It could have blown up in his face. Lester could have took a major deal with a broken system very easily.

I think the problem here is you. Your perspective is anti anything White Sox and it makes your opinion jaded.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It is actually very accurate. Cubs were a bunch of farm prospects with crap teams for years. Theo had done nothing but tank major league teams to get better lottery picks. It could have blown up in his face. Lester could have took a major deal with a broken system very easily.

I think the problem here is you. Your perspective is anti anything White Sox and it makes your opinion jaded.
LMAO..
Not really

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LMAO..
Not really

Seriously ya.

2012 61-101
2013: 66-96
2014: 73-89

2015: 97-65

That was a leap of faith on Theo. That could have blown up. Bryant = Eloy right now. Either could have failed. Jake's 2015 was unprecedented.

Honestly that was a 24 win improvement. With just adding Jon and Jake and Bryant broke out at the same time. It was more dumb luck than anything.

So get over it. Sox getting a 12 win improvement is really small compared to that.

Not to mention the Cubs looked like crap going into that signing. That was more luck than adding F/A's

Anyways. Sox have more standing talent that the Cubs did going in then. 1B are a wash. They have Mocenia and the Cubs didn't have that equal. Baez was still scuffling in AAA. Russell was kinda close but not as talented. And to be honest Sox have more HR power.

pitching Cubs' pen was shit going into 2015. Rotation was Jon. Jake showed some flashes but not to that level. Rest were big question marks. Hendriks not a known product. etc.

Shit. Every team has to start somewhere.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Seriously ya.

2012 61-101
2013: 66-96
2014: 73-89

2015: 97-65

That was a leap of faith on Theo. That could have blown up. Bryant = Eloy right now. Either could have failed. Jake's 2015 was unprecedented.

Honestly that was a 24 win improvement. With just adding Jon and Jake and Bryant broke out at the same time. It was more dumb luck than anything.

So get over it. Sox getting a 12 win improvement is really small compared to that.

Not to mention the Cubs looked like crap going into that signing. That was more luck than adding F/A's

Anyways. Sox have more standing talent that the Cubs did going in then. 1B are a wash. They have Mocenia and the Cubs didn't have that equal. Baez was still scuffling in AAA. Russell was kinda close but not as talented. And to be honest Sox have more HR power.

pitching Cubs' pen was shit going into 2015. Rotation was Jon. Jake showed some flashes but not to that level. Rest were big question marks. Hendriks not a known product. etc.

Shit. Every team has to start somewhere.
2012 and 13 has nothing with Lester signing with them in 15...
Thanks

2012 is probably where the sox are now, no where near ready to start making huge financial commitments unless their just gonna abandon the rebuild from scratch route and just spend on FAs now
Thanks

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
2012 and 13 has nothing with Lester signing with them in 15...
Thanks

2012 is probably where the sox are now, no where near ready to start making huge financial commitments unless their just gonna abandon the rebuild from scratch route and just spend on FAs now
Thanks

The team by comparison is a lot closer to the 2014 team than the 2012. Just from a depth perspective alone