Offseason rumors/discussion thread

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Exactly..that my point
So to sit here and say their definitely 2 years away is silly when you have no idea who on the current roster or in the system will actually be a solid mlb player in 2020..

It all hope and question marks right now, so you dont go out and sign an impact player for shit load of money and surround him with a roster full of hopes and question marks and hope for the best...

If I'm that player, if money is equal and or not the main issue, then I'm considering the team that in better position to win now, not one that will hopefully be good enough to compete in 2 years

If they get 30 mil offers from Phillies Braves Yankees Nationals Angels Dodgers Cardinals Cubs Sox

I would bet the mortgage the sox would be their last choice

Depends what he is looking for. The ball jumps pretty good at guaranteed to get a seat field, so playing half the games in a park you have a chance to go deep a few times a game and get your home run stats built.

Grienke basically was the hottest target and he came out and said he will go where the most money is, titles were not the priority. After last years screwy free agent deal, where a guy like JD Martinez was not signed til the end of February, its an antacid time for these guys holding out for the big money. Most of these guys want to be preparing to move to their new city by christmas

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Exactly..that my point
So to sit here and say their definitely 2 years away is silly when you have no idea who on the current roster or in the system will actually be a solid mlb player in 2020..

It all hope and question marks right now, so you dont go out and sign an impact player for shit load of money and surround him with a roster full of hopes and question marks and hope for the best...

If I'm that player, if money is equal and or not the main issue, then I'm considering the team that in better position to win now, not one that will hopefully be good enough to compete in 2 years

If they get 30 mil offers from Phillies Braves Yankees Nationals Angels Dodgers Cardinals Cubs Sox

I would bet the mortgage the sox would be their last choice

A few things to this. I don't know who they might be but there are players who would be very attracted to the White Sox and their young talent. Are those guys the biggest names? Maybe, maybe not. I'm doubtful that Harper would sign there simply because I don't think the spotlight is bright enough, but it's foolish to think Machado might not be interested. Sometimes guys take a leap of faith and go with a team on the rise, that is of course if the money is right. It's this statement of your though that sticks in my craw; "a roster full of hopes and question marks and hope for the best". Isn't that every single team before they break out? Hell, I picked Kansas City to win for two full years before they got to the World Series the first time. Who saw Atlanta winning that division last year? Teams that break out are nearly always a surprise and have a lot of luck. Sure they've been working towards it but you never know when it's going to all come together. Free agents look at these teams sometimes and like the mix for whatever reason. Or maybe they like the geography, the point is that it's all a crapshoot. The White Sox are as good a breakout candidate in 2020, or maybe even 2019 if Cleveland sells its pitching, as anyone if they plug a couple of holes and get some luck and development from their youngsters.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
A few things to this. I don't know who they might be but there are players who would be very attracted to the White Sox and their young talent. Are those guys the biggest names? Maybe, maybe not. I'm doubtful that Harper would sign there simply because I don't think the spotlight is bright enough, but it's foolish to think Machado might not be interested. Sometimes guys take a leap of faith and go with a team on the rise, that is of course if the money is right. It's this statement of your though that sticks in my craw; "a roster full of hopes and question marks and hope for the best". Isn't that every single team before they break out? Hell, I picked Kansas City to win for two full years before they got to the World Series the first time. Who saw Atlanta winning that division last year? Teams that break out are nearly always a surprise and have a lot of luck. Sure they've been working towards it but you never know when it's going to all come together. Free agents look at these teams sometimes and like the mix for whatever reason. Or maybe they like the geography, the point is that it's all a crapshoot. The White Sox are as good a breakout candidate in 2020, or maybe even 2019 if Cleveland sells its pitching, as anyone if they plug a couple of holes and get some luck and development from their youngsters.
They is Harper or Machado

I'm not saying FA wont come, just dont think sox are in position now to sign those mega FA deals yet..

My statement goes towards that they still need to figure out which of their own young talent is going to establish themselves and move forward before they start overspending on big name FAs

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They is Harper or Machado

I'm not saying FA wont come, just dont think sox are in position now to sign those mega FA deals yet..

My statement goes towards that they still need to figure out which of their own young talent is going to establish themselves and move forward before they start overspending on big name FAs

If you are familiar with their organization, it's pretty obvious where additional help is needed. (RF, 3b)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If you are familiar with their organization, it's pretty obvious where additional help is needed. (RF, 3b)
Ok..what that got to do with the others IMO not being established yet?

All I'm saying is IMO I just dont see how some can just say today, their 2 years away with what they have on their roster now or even in the minors..

Too many question marks to make that statement today

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Ok..what that got to do with the others IMO not being established yet?

All I'm saying is IMO I just dont see how some can just say today, their 2 years away with what they have on their roster now or even in the minors..

Too many question marks to make that statement today

I've been talking up Atlanta and Philadelphia around these parts for several years expecting them to break out sometime in the 2018-2020 range and Atlanta has won a division and Philadelphia, after 3/4 of a season of success, is getting serious about being a perennial contender. Saying the White Sox are two years away is not a stretch, it's also not a guarantee it's just saying that you see the potential and are assigning a time frame. If the White Sox are not at least starting to contend in 2020 something has gone horribly awry.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I've been talking up Atlanta and Philadelphia around these parts for several years expecting them to break out sometime in the 2018-2020 range and Atlanta has won a division and Philadelphia, after 3/4 of a season of success, is getting serious about being a perennial contender. Saying the White Sox are two years away is not a stretch, it's also not a guarantee it's just saying that you see the potential and are assigning a time frame. If the White Sox are not at least starting to contend in 2020 something has gone horribly awry.

qft

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Adding Harper doesn't equal 24 wins.

I feel they need 3 guys. Harper, Nathan Eovaldi and Joe Kelly.

should hit them for 60M

Current projection 76M

Clear out Garcia (8.5M est)

Honestly it puts them at 125M which is a working payroll for them. And it gives 3 stabilizing factors. Line up/Rotation/Pen to build around. Not to mention to weaken the Red Sox in process.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Adding Harper doesn't equal 24 wins.

I feel they need 3 guys. Harper, Nathan Eovaldi and Joe Kelly.

should hit them for 60M

Current projection 76M

Clear out Garcia (8.5M est)

Honestly it puts them at 125M which is a working payroll for them. And it gives 3 stabilizing factors. Line up/Rotation/Pen to build around. Not to mention to weaken the Red Sox in process.

they have even more flexibility than that....https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/chicago-white-sox-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I thought the Brewers were two years away and they won the central with 96 wins. It does not take much.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I get the potential and I'm not arguing that part, I'm just not in agreement that they should drop a load on a mega player this offseason without at least seeing which of those guys at the very least take a step into that potential..

Outside of Abreu and castillo the sox have unestablish potential everywhere, including the rotation

They drop a shitload on 1 guy this offseason, I just think it a big risk without really knowing who amongst these young players will take a leap in 1 season...

Ok, I think we over killed this topic

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I get the potential and I'm not arguing that part, I'm just not in agreement that they should drop a load on a mega player this offseason without at least seeing which of those guys at the very least take a step into that potential..

Outside of Abreu and castillo the sox have unestablish potential everywhere, including the rotation

They drop a ...load on 1 guy this offseason, I just think it a big risk without really knowing who amongst these young players will take a leap in 1 season...

Ok, I think we over killed this topic

FTR, I don't want Harper or Machado

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I kinda don’t blame you. Neither will earn it. Trout has earned his year wage

If Trout is the standard for "earning his wage", then literally only 2-3 baseball players in history have earned their wage. How do you justify signing anyone if your benchmark is going to be a once-in-a-century type outlier?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Right, and people are too quick to forget when they put up all star numbers, MVP type numbers when they were on their first couple year deals not even sniffing a million.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I kinda don’t blame you. Neither will earn it. Trout has earned his year wage

At $8 mil per WAR Harper will need to post 43.75 WAR to "earn" the deal. I think he's capable of three 8-9 WAR seasons in that span and several between the 4-5 WAR mark. Sorry, I think he'll earn it.

Mike Trout has completed four years of a $144.5 mil contract meaning he need to post 18 WAR to "earn" it. With two years left to go he's posted 35.6. He's ridiculously underpaid which is why he'll probably get $500 mil in two years.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
At $8 mil per WAR Harper will need to post 43.75 WAR to "earn" the deal. I think he's capable of three 8-9 WAR seasons in that span and several between the 4-5 WAR mark. Sorry, I think he'll earn it.

Mike Trout has completed four years of a $144.5 mil contract meaning he need to post 18 WAR to "earn" it. With two years left to go he's posted 35.6. He's ridiculously underpaid which is why he'll probably get $500 mil in two years.

I don't see Harper doing it.

As for Trout, he either resigns with the Angels or heads to Philly. He ain't in this for the dough.