Offseason rumors/discussion thread

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
8-10% walk rate is pretty normal. Javy was less than 5%. With his power and 10% he would be a primer power hitter.

He is just so distruptive on the bases, way moreso than Fowler ever was. IF Bryant gets back to form and Rizzo and Bryant can share 3 and 4, I really would rather they consider it.

I am tired of the "teach Gore to hit" crap floating out on social media, did anyone see his two at bats? Hamilton is a weapon, but he could never fill the role in Cincinatti, I do not know how he just all of the sudden does it here.

All they needed to do was score 2 or more runs to win most games, so manufacturing one would get you half way there, but I really cant see much turnover of this lineup unless these exit interviews with Theo just are not going right.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is just so distruptive on the bases, way moreso than Fowler ever was. IF Bryant gets back to form and Rizzo and Bryant can share 3 and 4, I really would rather they consider it.

I am tired of the "teach Gore to hit" crap floating out on social media, did anyone see his two at bats? Hamilton is a weapon, but he could never fill the role in Cincinatti, I do not know how he just all of the sudden does it here.

All they needed to do was score 2 or more runs to win most games, so manufacturing one would get you half way there, but I really cant see much turnover of this lineup unless these exit interviews with Theo just are not going right.

OBA is still king. He plays up better behind Bryant and Rizzo. Those 2 hold good OBA and Baez has solid RBI opertunity

DB51

Liked Posts:
First off I'm not a major baseball fan by any means but I do follow the Cubs, Sox, Yankees, Mets now and then.
Several weeks ago when the Cubs had their 5ish game lead and it started to dwindle I said to myself they have just enough time to blow it, but I was really hoping they wouldn't. Sure enough they did just in the nick of time too. Not by one or two games by tying for the division then losing the playoff game. To me that's worse then losing the division by 1-2 games. Over the years the Cubs have a reputation of choking and they proved it once again.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Over the years the Cubs have a reputation of choking and they proved it once again.

Prior to this year the Cubs went to three straight NLCS and won the World Series.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
First off I'm not a major baseball fan by any means but I do follow the Cubs, Sox, Yankees, Mets now and then.
Several weeks ago when the Cubs had their 5ish game lead and it started to dwindle I said to myself they have just enough time to blow it, but I was really hoping they wouldn't. Sure enough they did just in the nick of time too. Not by one or two games by tying for the division then losing the playoff game. To me that's worse then losing the division by 1-2 games. Over the years the Cubs have a reputation of choking and they proved it once again.

There were a few issues going on and honestly Theo admitting to production over talent is a change they need to adapt to. This team is still developing and we lose track how these kids found success so fast and now the flaws are coming out.

I’m pretty sure that Russell, Happ, Schwarber and Chatwood are going to be shipped. They need to retool somewhat in those spots.

What they do? I think it depends on a few factors and the working payroll will end up the biggest. If they are willing to go into the tax I expect it to be geared towards Harper.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No. Bringing Fowler back is not the answer. That ship has sailed.

What are you doing with Chatwood then? Like I said in the post I don't think Fowler would be my ideal player. But if you can do a bad contract swap of Fowler for Chatwood I think that helps the cubs out more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2018 was not the first time Chatwood pitched outside of Coors Field. Why wasn't his stuff "all over the place" during away games in 2017? Or 2016? or 2015?

You're making a rod for your own back here.

So are on the ride out Chatwood train? That is fine but seeing how he is a 91 MPH fastball guy with little control much less command that is your ride. I would rather have command if he is in the danger zone.

I think his wildness hid a pitcher that would have been wrecked getting his control better. I think there were some games that he got into the zone and they hammered him. But the days he was wild like 2-3 hits with 7 BB.

just saying. Not really a hot find even throwing strikes. Low 90’s is dime a dozen at this level.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
So are on the ride out Chatwood train? That is fine but seeing how he is a 91 MPH fastball guy with little control much less command that is your ride. I would rather have command if he is in the danger zone.

I think his wildness hid a pitcher that would have been wrecked getting his control better. I think there were some games that he got into the zone and they hammered him. But the days he was wild like 2-3 hits with 7 BB.

just saying. Not really a hot find even throwing strikes. Low 90’s is dime a dozen at this level.

I have no idea where you're getting this. Chatwood's average FB velocity was 93.8mph last year. He's been 94-95 ever since he came up.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4338&position=P#pipitchvelocity

The Cubs are already invested, so it makes sense to at least try and fix him until they absolutely need his roster spot. Give him the offseason and ST to get himself right and if they have to dump him in a trade or outright eat his remaining $25mil then so be it. Either way, fixing Chatwood is not nearly as important now that they have Hamels (and will no doubt pick up his option). Plenty of depth with Montgomery and Smyly, and if Chatwood does figure it out maybe you're able to move one of them for a return.

Honestly, for all the bitching about Chatwood the pitching staff looks pretty good next year as is:

SP
Darvish
Lester
Hendricks
Quintana
Hamels

Swing
Montgomery
Smyly
Chatwood

RP
Edwards Jr.
Cishek
Strop
Morrow

Not a whole lot that needs fixing in that group, aside from health and a high-leverage lefty to replace Wilson.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I see the depth as

Lester
Hendricks
Hamels
Darvish
Quintana
Montgomery
Smyly
Chatwood
Mills
Underwood
Alozay
Clifton

I would rather they keep the top 5 with Montgomery then resign Chavez.

So pen:

MR: Montgomery/Chavez
LOOGY: Smyly/Roserio
RHSU: Strop/Morrow/Cishek

Then go after Holland for the 9th.

Makes more sense. If Chatwood could be stuffed at Iowa for emergency depth that would be fine but as far as breaking camp no.

Add to it I didn’t include Edwards. Too many times that he cost a game. I’m fine with him as bait also

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are already invested, so it makes sense to at least try and fix him until they absolutely need his roster spot. Give him the offseason and ST to get himself right and if they have to dump him in a trade or outright eat his remaining $25mil then so be it. Either way, fixing Chatwood is not nearly as important now that they have Hamels (and will no doubt pick up his option). Plenty of depth with Montgomery and Smyly, and if Chatwood does figure it out maybe you're able to move one of them for a return.

I agree with this to an extent. But that's only because I think Chatwood will be difficult to move without eating money. The reason I brought up the Fowler idea was it seems like a bad situation for bad situation trade. the difference at least in my eyes between that and just keeping Chatwood is Fowler is a proven lead off hitter. Obviously he's coming off an injury and he's older. But if you're going to gamble on one of the two being useful next year personally i'd rather gamble on Fowler.

The problem I have with Chatwood is even if he goes back to his COL walk rate is he going to be good? There aren't many pitchers with a 4+ bb/9 who are even remotely effective. And given they already seem likely to have a full starting rotation does he work out of the bullpen like that? I'm not sure.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Re-signing a 35-year old reliever who was unsustainably good in the short period of time you had him is generally a strategy for disappointment.

Rosario is just a depth/fill-in guy who doesn't really belong in a World Series-contending bullpen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree with this to an extent. But that's only because I think Chatwood will be difficult to move without eating money. The reason I brought up the Fowler idea was it seems like a bad situation for bad situation trade. the difference at least in my eyes between that and just keeping Chatwood is Fowler is a proven lead off hitter. Obviously he's coming off an injury and he's older. But if you're going to gamble on one of the two being useful next year personally i'd rather gamble on Fowler.

The problem I have with Chatwood is even if he goes back to his COL walk rate is he going to be good? There aren't many pitchers with a 4+ bb/9 who are even remotely effective. And given they already seem likely to have a full starting rotation does he work out of the bullpen like that? I'm not sure.

Giving up walks is never a good thing. Out of the pen and walk prone. Ya we saw that with Wilson enough. Pass

On Fowler I’ll take that trade. Even if Chatwood corrects himself and Fowler stays about the same. The need is greater for a lead off vs a 8th deep arm.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Re-signing a 35-year old reliever who was unsustainably good in the short period of time you had him is generally a strategy for disappointment.

Rosario is just a depth/fill-in guy who doesn't really belong in a World Series-contending bullpen.

Chavez? You can pretty much ink him and Hamels. Just saying

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Just stop with the Fowler shit. He is done and has a shitty contract. WTF

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just stop with the Fowler shit. He is done and has a shitty contract. WTF

You're missing the point. What are you going to do with Chatwood? Presumably you think he's shit too. Well they are still on the hook for $25.5 mil with him. So his contract is just as shitty as Fowler's. The difference there is Fowler could theoretically be useful. How is Chatwood going to be useful? You going to make him a long guy in the bullpen? Or are you just going to release him and eat $25.5 mil? Fowler hit .264/.363/.488 in 2017. You want to say he was shit in 2018 fine. But it was publicly known that him and Mattheny didn't get along. And it is also known he was hurt for large portions of the year.

The point of this talk isn't "fowler is amazing go get him!" The point is the cubs have a bad contract they need to do something with. The Cards likely would move Fowler. Fowler IMO is more useful to the cubs than Chatwood. Maybe you're right and he's just done. But I'd take the chance on him that he goes back to 2017 numbers over just flat out eating $25.5 mil of Chatwoods contract.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You're missing the point. What are you going to do with Chatwood? Presumably you think he's shit too. Well they are still on the hook for $25.5 mil with him. So his contract is just as shitty as Fowler's. The difference there is Fowler could theoretically be useful. How is Chatwood going to be useful? You going to make him a long guy in the bullpen? Or are you just going to release him and eat $25.5 mil? Fowler hit .264/.363/.488 in 2017. You want to say he was shit in 2018 fine. But it was publicly known that him and Mattheny didn't get along. And it is also known he was hurt for large portions of the year.

The point of this talk isn't "fowler is amazing go get him!" The point is the cubs have a bad contract they need to do something with. The Cards likely would move Fowler. Fowler IMO is more useful to the cubs than Chatwood. Maybe you're right and he's just done. But I'd take the chance on him that he goes back to 2017 numbers over just flat out eating $25.5 mil of Chatwoods contract.

Doubt he cares. Anything that blocks his man crush is The enemy

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I see the depth as

Lester
Hendricks
Hamels
Darvish
Quintana
Montgomery
Smyly
Chatwood
Mills
Underwood
Alozay
Clifton

I would rather they keep the top 5 with Montgomery then resign Chavez.

So pen:

MR: Montgomery/Chavez
LOOGY: Smyly/Roserio
RHSU: Strop/Morrow/Cishek

Then go after Holland for the 9th.

Makes more sense. If Chatwood could be stuffed at Iowa for emergency depth that would be fine but as far as breaking camp no.

Add to it I didn’t include Edwards. Too many times that he cost a game. I’m fine with him as bait also

Edwards has a bit too much Carlos Rondon for my taste - great stuff but can never pull it together, and completely unreliable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Edwards has a bit too much Carlos Rondon for my taste - great stuff but can never pull it together, and completely unreliable.

When the Prez says that “We” have to start looking at production vs relying on talent it really paints a pix going into Dec.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its going to be an interesting off-season