Offseason rumors/discussion thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Think the A's are offering him 2B. He wants to be more than a bench warmer. I could see him at 2B with the Cubs. He fills a player leader and MI depth at league min.

But he would cost major league min for 2 years. Toronto would cover the remainder and the buy out. It would be a solid deal but he would want to start.

? He's a FA as they released him. Toronto isn't involved here. As for his playing time, I think you're talking about the difference of maybe 100 PAs. And while I'm sure every player wants to play every day, if he's smart he'd realize not having to play every day is actually a benefit to him. I mean look at what it did for Zobrist last year.

Honestly I'd love to hear some insight from players the cubs have pitched as to whether they've drove home that as a selling point because it's honestly a really interesting way to manager IMO. I get why fans hate Maddon doing it but it legitimately gives every player on the roster the chance to feel they are playing a large role while also protecting them from wear and tear. And what with the main reason people supposedly using steroids was to be able to sustain for a full season it's an interesting way around that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
? He's a FA as they released him. Toronto isn't involved here. As for his playing time, I think you're talking about the difference of maybe 100 PAs. And while I'm sure every player wants to play every day, if he's smart he'd realize not having to play every day is actually a benefit to him. I mean look at what it did for Zobrist last year.

Honestly I'd love to hear some insight from players the cubs have pitched as to whether they've drove home that as a selling point because it's honestly a really interesting way to manager IMO. I get why fans hate Maddon doing it but it legitimately gives every player on the roster the chance to feel they are playing a large role while also protecting them from wear and tear. And what with the main reason people supposedly using steroids was to be able to sustain for a full season it's an interesting way around that.
He still owed 37 mil fromTor.
So whoever signs him can sign him for league minimum

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He still owed 37 mil fromTor.
So whoever signs him can sign him for league minimum

I mean sure I get that but he mentioned covering the buy out which is why I got confused. They already covered that by releasing him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Toronto is still paying the 38MM owed. If a team picks him up it would be for the league min. Basically 600k per I believe and Toronto pays the rest of his contract. Just how it works. He cant work under 2 MLB contracts at the same time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean sure I get that but he mentioned covering the buy out which is why I got confused. They already covered that by releasing him.

It was a release. He will still receive his payroll check.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So he had bone spurs in his heels. Honestly it is worth it for league min. Him and Baez and mix in Russell as needed. Let production and rest dictate playing time. If Troy can still play SS at a high level roll with it.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am sure Tulo will get a few offers to start at SS before deciding to sign here. Would be a hell of a signing though, even if its a one year deal for Tulo, getting healthy and a pretty good shot at making the playoffs, then try to get a deal.

Pretty sure they have to cut him a check when they release him, if they do it over time I believe the player earns interest.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I wonder if the Cubs should just sign Harper and then go for broke in 2019, pay the tax, then rebalance next year. The best ways to do that are trade your questionable contracts. Boston wants to cut payroll so a Chatwood (2/25.5) for Porcello (1/21) makes some sense in that regard. You go out and sign a Zach Britton and you hope that works out for a short deal.

C - Contreras, Caratini
IF - Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Bryant, Bote
OF - Harper, Heyward, Almora, Schwarber, Happ
SP - Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Quintana, Porcello/Darvish
RP - Morrow, Britton, Strop, Cishek, Edwards, Montgomery, Kintzler, Duensing/Porcello

You'd have Hamels, Morrow, Cishek, Strop, Zobrist, Kintzler, Duensing, Porcello all fall off. Think this plan is their best shot at maintaining long-term flexibility and talent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wonder if the Cubs should just sign Harper and then go for broke in 2019, pay the tax, then rebalance next year. The best ways to do that are trade your questionable contracts. Boston wants to cut payroll so a Chatwood (2/25.5) for Porcello (1/21) makes some sense in that regard. You go out and sign a Zach Britton and you hope that works out for a short deal.

C - Contreras, Caratini
IF - Rizzo, Baez, Zobrist, Bryant, Bote
OF - Harper, Heyward, Almora, Schwarber, Happ
SP - Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Quintana, Porcello/Darvish
RP - Morrow, Britton, Strop, Cishek, Edwards, Montgomery, Kintzler, Duensing/Porcello

You'd have Hamels, Morrow, Cishek, Strop, Zobrist, Kintzler, Duensing, Porcello all fall off. Think this plan is their best shot at maintaining long-term flexibility and talent.

Honestly if it was me I would say F-it. Hamels and Zobrist drop clearing 34M which you then pay directly to Harper. Everything else should shake out then. Heyward would become a full time CF which should increase his trade value which also clears more tax.

But that is being progressive minded. I really don’t see the Rickett’s being this way. I see them as a hard cap minded ownership that allows Theo his freedom with in budget.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly if it was me I would say F-it. Hamels and Zobrist drop clearing 34M which you then pay directly to Harper. Everything else should shake out then. Heyward would become a full time CF which should increase his trade value which also clears more tax.

But that is being progressive minded. I really don’t see the Rickett’s being this way. I see them as a hard cap minded ownership that allows Theo his freedom with in budget.

Confirmed:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/trade-rumors-cubs-hardy-holt-yankees.html

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Heard rumbling that the cubs may have an announcement later today
Possibly a deal for a reliever

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Heard rumbling that the cubs may have an announcement later today
Possibly a deal for a reliever

Wouldn’t shock me. That noise earlier about having to move contract for even a mid tier contract was pathetic

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would like to see Tulowitzki inked and slated to play along side Baez then push Zobrist into RF pushing Heyward to CF. That would cost the Cubs 600K. After that they do have to address the pen but I believe that they may get creative here.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Why would it increase trade value when he is the best right fielder in the game, but maybe top half in center?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Brad Brach, Bud Norris, Jake Diekman have been spoken to.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why would it increase trade value when he is the best right fielder in the game, but maybe top half in center?

RF is more of a power desired position. When Jason was hitting 25+ HR’s his value was right there. Right now his power is lite for a corner OF spot. So if he proves to be a higher quality CF it naturally increases his value due to the position holding more value over RF where you need power to increase its value.

It is the same arguement with Russell. As a SS he holds value. As a 2B he is Barney and hot garbage.

SS > 2B due to majority of hitters are RH and it requires a stronger arm.

CF gains hits from both RH and LH hitters so a CF will be the most involved OF. Add to it most hits to CF are in play due to being the largest portion of a park.

RF D is a new analyst due to the winds and the sun battle late game. If Wriggley was a nighttime stadium this would reduce the impact.of having a D stud RF.

Sammy was fine out there for years. Arm was a adventure but 40-60 HR’s per were worth it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He cant work under 2 MLB contracts at the same time.

Sure he can. The way it works is he's still owed the TOR money but if he signs another contract that is offset from what TOR pays him. While it's possible he may only get a league min. it's not likely. He'll likely get a few million.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Another thing to consider here is the rule 5 draft. Given we know the cubs are likely to try and keep spending low, you could theoretically look for them to add some pitching via the rule 5 draft or possibly look for a defense only(right now) catcher/MI that way. For example, Tyler Jay(#6 pick in the 2015 draft) is eligible for the rule 5 draft. He's a lefty which the cubs need with starter stuff but hasn't been healthy enough to start.

Other interesting names include
RHP Jairo Beras, TEX
RHP Riley Ferrell, HOU
SS Richie Martin, OAK
1B Josh Ockimey, BOS
HP Travis Bergen, TOR
1B Lewin Diaz, MIN
SS/OF Ray-Patrick Didder, ATL
RHP Chris Ellis, STL
RHP Junior Fernandez, STL
1B Jake Gatewood, MIL
RHP Reed Garrett, TEX
OF Michael Gettys, SD
LHP Foster Griffin, KC
LHP Taylor Guilbeau, WAS
LHP Rob Kaminsky, CLE
LHP Chris Lee, BAL
RHP Jackson McClelland, TOR
C Dom Nunez, COL
RHP Jon Olczak, MIL
C Ali Sanchez, NYM
2B Max Schrock, STL
2B Kean Wong, TB
RHP Zach Thompson, CWS

chibears55

Liked Posts:
RF is more of a power desired position. When Jason was hitting 25+ HR’s his value was right there. Right now his power is lite for a corner OF spot. So if he proves to be a higher quality CF it naturally increases his value due to the position holding more value over RF where you need power to increase its value.

It is the same arguement with Russell. As a SS he holds value. As a 2B he is Barney and hot garbage.

SS > 2B due to majority of hitters are RH and it requires a stronger arm.

CF gains hits from both RH and LH hitters so a CF will be the most involved OF. Add to it most hits to CF are in play due to being the largest portion of a park.

RF D is a new analyst due to the winds and the sun battle late game. If Wriggley was a nighttime stadium this would reduce the impact.of having a D stud RF.

Sammy was fine out there for years. Arm was a adventure but 40-60 HR’s per were worth it.
Heyward hits like a centerfielder but he doesn't play defense like one..
He an ok glove there but doesn't have the speed to cover all that ground as an everyday player in CF

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Heyward hits like a centerfielder but he doesn't play defense like one..
He an ok glove there but doesn't have the speed to cover all that ground as an everyday player in CF
Heyward takes bad angles on the ball in CF. He is not a fluid defender