Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Framing may be meaningless if they put in auto umps for balls and strikes with the next collective bargaining agreement.

That one is a huge reach. Getting 3 batters out of a reliever is going to be a battle. Making a home plate ump useless is a whole new ball of wax and pipe dream wishes by fans.

It wont change. They will add to hitting by lowering the mound or pushing it back to compensate for the harder throws. They will not take away a umpire's duty.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Eloy is a whole different situation. The Cubs will end up losing that trade 100% and I don't see anyone other than Brett happy with the end result.

I have no complaints with the move. I feel the White Sox got short changed a touch, but that might just work itself out with Eloy and Dylan.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That one is a huge reach. Getting 3 batters out of a reliever is going to be a battle. Making a home plate ump useless is a whole new ball of wax and pipe dream wishes by fans.

It wont change. They will add to hitting by lowering the mound or pushing it back to compensate for the harder throws. They will not take away a umpire's duty.

Except this is EXACTLY what they are testing right now in the Atlantic League.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I have no complaints with the move. I feel the White Sox got short changed a touch, but that might just work itself out with Eloy and Dylan.

I think Eloy and a lesser prospect would have been enough to do it, Cease just proves that the cubs have no real desire to develop their own pitching.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think Eloy and a lesser prospect would have been enough to do it, Cease just proves that the cubs have no real desire to develop their own pitching.

Doubtful. At the time Q was a top 10-12 SP in MLB

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Sale is locked up 5 yrs ~150 million

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Guy who was not involved in the negotiations knows what it would've taken to seal the deal.

Okay.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Hi, my name is Omelet. I was raised by poodles. I love warm puppies, walking on the beach and the color purple

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't claim him given I think he's making about $3 mil. But if he gets released I'd be interested in him at a lower price tag.
He went with team to Arizona, possibly to talk to Cubs

Question is will they carry a 3rd catcher or just add Zagunis to replace Happ

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He went with team to Arizona, possibly to talk to Cubs

Question is will they carry a 3rd catcher or just add Zagunis to replace Happ

Carrying a 3rd catcher isn't as big a deal when you have Caratini given he came up as a 3B and likely can play 1B with ease as well. Bigger problem with it as I see things is who's your back up SS right now? Bote? Presumably Russell is that guy sooner or later but you're still talking a month of him being gone

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Carrying a 3rd catcher isn't as big a deal when you have Caratini given he came up as a 3B and likely can play 1B with ease as well. Bigger problem with it as I see things is who's your back up SS right now? Bote? Presumably Russell is that guy sooner or later but you're still talking a month of him being gone

I thought Descalso was supposed to be the backup SS

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs bench ???

Caratini
Descalso
Bote
Zagunis or 3rd catcher

Not much of a bench if you really think about it...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
-16.4 career UZR/150 at SS isn't really encouraging
No, but that all they got now

Really think about it Epstein/Hoyer didn't really do much to address the roster this offseason.. lot of holes
Looks to me like he forcing Maddon to play a regular lineup everyday over mixing it up on a daily basis

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Because making the Home Plate Umpire have only the same responsibility as the other three regular Umps is unthinkable?