Offseason rumors/discussion thread

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
That's a bit of a misrepresentation. They tried to resign Jake before signing Darvish, and then still offered him the same as Darvish accepted. Jake chose to move on. I don't think it's fair to say the Cubs chose Darvish over Jake. They chose Darvish over being left empty handed.

And Jake is on the downturn.

There is so much mental in this league. A guy comes to an organization, wins the cy young, two shutouts in what 2 league months with a winter between, took up ALL the slack that Lester left his first year adjusting to being the highest paid pitcher ever for the cubs, all of this being done being paid a small percentage of what that Lester guy just got to be your ace. He worked under paid, then when it was time to get paid they still tried to stay cheap.

Guess you can say attempting to buy out KB's Arby for a 200 million deal was also cheap.

Yes, the cubs moved on from Jake. I dont know why they went Darvish after imploding in the playoffs. It made no sense.

but this leads to the point of why in the hell do we want Theo to sign any big money free agents that this organization did not develop? It has not worked out well.

We trade the one guy that will tear it up on the southside in Eloy, the only guy we had that had the chance of being a TOR guy in Cease to get the bigger name.

How many of us are just waiting for him to move Alzolay?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If you consider Jake on the downturn, what do you consider Darvish? Darvish may never pitch again.

If Cubs would have had Jake last season, they wouldn't have had to trade for Hamels and they'd have a lot more payroll flexibility this offseason.

Bottom line is Garbish fucked us dry.

So because Arrieta wouldn't accept the Cubs' offer, the Cubs should have just not signed anybody starting pitching wise? Darvish might turn out to be a completely horrible signing when it's over.

Yes, the Cubs got drunk, hit on one guy at the party, got turned down, so they hooked up with who they were told was also a hot guy. They wake up the next day and realize he isn't that hot. It ain't that guy's fault the Cubs hooked up with him. And the guy could still be hot if things go well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you consider Jake on the downturn, what do you consider Darvish? Darvish may never pitch again.

If Cubs would have had Jake last season, they wouldn't have had to trade for Hamels and they'd have a lot more payroll flexibility this offseason.

Bottom line is Garbish fucked us dry.

Did a Zero shoot down your granddaddy?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Let me spell it out:

Mills had the exact same issue and corrective surgery. Back from the ledge

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Alec Mills is a guy Epstein points to as proof pitchers can overcome bone bruises, as the Cubs swingman sat out most of 2017 with the same injury.

An offseason of rest should do wonders for Darvish's bone bruise after he threw 201.1 innings in 2017 between the regular season and the Los Angeles Dodgers' World Series run.

"The bone bruise was the primary injury here, but you also had the elbow clean-up," Epstein said the day after the Cubs were eliminated from the 2018 playoffs. "That's a procedure, so it went well, but it was sort of a minor clean-up. But anytime there's a procedure, it introduces some risk."

So this is what he went through:

September 19, 2017 Iowa Cubs activated RHP Alec Mills from the 7-day disabled list.
August 29, 2017 Iowa Cubs sent RHP Alec Mills on a rehab assignment to Myrtle Beach Pelicans.
August 19, 2017 Iowa Cubs sent RHP Alec Mills on a rehab assignment to AZL Cubs.
May 15, 2017 Iowa Cubs placed RHP Alec Mills on the 7-day disabled list.
May 12, 2017 Iowa Cubs activated RHP Alec Mills from the 7-day disabled list.
April 14, 2017 Iowa Cubs placed RHP Alec Mills on the 7-day disabled list. Left ankle contusion.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Perhaps the real MVP of the offseason FA pool is a doctor who knows how to diagnose a stress reaction without the player having to go to see multiple doctors.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Alec Mills is a guy Epstein points to as proof pitchers can overcome bone bruises, as the Cubs swingman sat out most of 2017 with the same injury.

An offseason of rest should do wonders for Darvish's bone bruise after he threw 201.1 innings in 2017 between the regular season and the Los Angeles Dodgers' World Series run.

"The bone bruise was the primary injury here, but you also had the elbow clean-up," Epstein said the day after the Cubs were eliminated from the 2018 playoffs. "That's a procedure, so it went well, but it was sort of a minor clean-up. But anytime there's a procedure, it introduces some risk."

So this is what he went through:

September 19, 2017 Iowa Cubs activated RHP Alec Mills from the 7-day disabled list.
August 29, 2017 Iowa Cubs sent RHP Alec Mills on a rehab assignment to Myrtle Beach Pelicans.
August 19, 2017 Iowa Cubs sent RHP Alec Mills on a rehab assignment to AZL Cubs.
May 15, 2017 Iowa Cubs placed RHP Alec Mills on the 7-day disabled list.
May 12, 2017 Iowa Cubs activated RHP Alec Mills from the 7-day disabled list.
April 14, 2017 Iowa Cubs placed RHP Alec Mills on the 7-day disabled list. Left ankle contusion.

I did not mean that kind of who, you made it out like he was a success story who contributed to the major league team. He got 7 games and kept getting sent down, and I dont see any of our prognosticators penciling him into the bullpen or in the mix to get the #5 spot..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I did not mean that kind of who, you made it out like he was a success story who contributed to the major league team. He got 7 games and kept getting sent down, and I dont see any of our prognosticators penciling him into the bullpen or in the mix to get the #5 spot..

He was never a high end player. The point is he got back to the same level.

This is the thing that bothers me. It seem like people believe that injury means that it is over. Well then kiss Bryant’s career away with that same belief system.

It is not even logical.

The only red flag injury in regards to a pitcher is rotator cuff. Those tend to derail a career.

Just like 55 saying Miller post injury at 34 is trash can. Well Zobrist played injured at 37 and had a career best at 38.

Imposing limitations like these are ignorant

chibears55

Liked Posts:

This is the thing that bothers me. It seem like people believe that injury means that it is over. Well then kiss Bryant’s career away with that same belief system.

It is not even logical.

The only red flag injury in regards to a pitcher is rotator cuff. Those tend to derail a career.

Just like 55 saying Miller post injury at 34 is trash can. Well Zobrist played injured at 37 and had a career best at 38.

My point was...

He went on the DL 3 times last year

Hamstring
Knee
Shoulder

Getting older now, and those are type of injuries that can keep recurring now

They already have a 34 yo reliever they need to baby

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My point was...

He went on the DL 3 times last year

Hamstring
Knee
Shoulder

Getting older now, and those are type of injuries that can keep recurring now

They already have a 34 yo reliever they need to baby

Theo should hire you to get him under market value

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Let me spell it out:

Mills had the exact same issue and corrective surgery. Back from the ledge

You realize that even if Garbish comes back, there is the chance that he still sucks right? He's gonna be crying like the little bitch he is about Cubs fans not liking him.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
You realize that even if Garbish comes back, there is the chance that he still sucks right? He's gonna be crying like the little bitch he is about Cubs fans not liking him.

His name is Darvish. Grow the fuck up.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
fangraphs prospect guys brought up Garrett Richards on their podcast as an interesting guy. The gist is he's similar to Smyly or Nathan Eovaldi in that he's a guy who you are paying to rehab but he's got crazy stuff. He hasn't been able to stay healthy. But he's an interesting guy to see what he gets.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

It is not even logical.

I guess its more of a Maddux situation then, when he needed to start getting guys out with what were his secondary pitches. I guess it goes to the mental part. IF he can get enough swings and misses at 80-82, then getting to 92 seems like a fastball. He was money in 16 when he was averaging over 95 but turned into just a 2 pitch guy with 4 seam and slider. up to 2012 he had a sinker and change too.

So yes, he can get back with a hurt shoulder, but will he go back to using 4 pitches if he has trouble getting people out or live and die with his 4 seam and slider mix?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs should just make a trade with the Marlins and swap Chatwood for Castro..

Bring Starlin Back [emoji6]

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I guess its more of a Maddux situation then, when he needed to start getting guys out with what were his secondary pitches. I guess it goes to the mental part. IF he can get enough swings and misses at 80-82, then getting to 92 seems like a fastball. He was money in 16 when he was averaging over 95 but turned into just a 2 pitch guy with 4 seam and slider. up to 2012 he had a sinker and change too.

So yes, he can get back with a hurt shoulder, but will he go back to using 4 pitches if he has trouble getting people out or live and die with his 4 seam and slider mix?

How are bone bruises treated?
For a minor bone bruise, your doctor may recommend rest, ice, and pain relievers. They may suggest that you take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as Aleve or ibuprofen.

If the bone bruise is in your leg or foot, elevate your leg to help ease swelling. Apply ice for 15 to 20 minutes a few times per day. Don’t put ice directly on your skin. Use a towel or an ice pack.

You may also have to avoid certain physical activities and sports until you’re fully healed. Relatively minor bone bruises can start to get better within a few weeks. The more severe ones can take several months to heal.

Injury to a joint may require a brace to keep the joint still while it heals. If you need a brace, splint, or crutches, use them as your doctor prescribes and follow up as your doctor recommends.

Bone injuries can take longer to heal if you smoke. Depending on the extent of your injury, a physical therapist may be able to show you how to move your injured joint so that you don’t cause more damage.

You may need further diagnostic testing if your injury doesn’t heal.

What is the outlook?
You may have to rest for some amount of time, but it’s important to allow your bone to heal fully. Returning to your regular activities too soon can make things worse.

Although there’s a great variation in recovery time, it usually takes a few months to heal. Most of the time, there are no lasting problems. Complications are rare unless a more extensive injury occurred.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
fangraphs prospect guys brought up Garrett Richards on their podcast as an interesting guy. The gist is he's similar to Smyly or Nathan Eovaldi in that he's a guy who you are paying to rehab but he's got crazy stuff. He hasn't been able to stay healthy. But he's an interesting guy to see what he gets.

He would be a decent pick up for a team looking at a depth SP. I don't see the Cubs match up though. Cubs are going to have major issues brewing soon in excess SP depth.

Adbert Alzolay, Duncan Robinson and some combination of Alec Mills, Jen-Ho Tseng, Matt Swarmer, Keegan Thompson, Michael Rucker and Thomas Hatch...And don't forget Clifton and Underwood.

To be honest here the Cubs have a shit ton of guys like him.