Page 125 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 2,729 to 2,750 of 2863

Thread: Offseason rumors/discussion thread

  1. #2729
    CCS Staff SilenceS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Baez went from a 3 to a 5 WAR player. Zo posted a 3.5 WAR after a injury plagued year. That covered Bryant's loss.

    The true factor was Davis leveling their swing path to lower strike outs. It ended up increasing ground ball rates and got him fired. The new hire is a champion of loft swing paths. That matters and he was their hitting coach in system so the work relationship is already established.

    Bryant was a factor but I think too much blame is labeled that direction. It is a excuse to cover a poor game plan.
    It doesn’t cover it. They didn’t succeed because he went out. They did that in their own. One has no barring on the other. Bryant was a huge loss. You don’t lose a guy of that caliber and nothing happens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Cubs have morphed into one of the worst teams in baseball. Not a chance in hell they would win a single playoff game. Forum members and ESPN reporters claiming this is one of the best teams in history are fucking morons." Egg Scrambles prediction

    The plan!

    Hidden Content

  2. #2730
    All-Star chibears55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back ups allow for more frequent rest to the starter. Contreras fell from Grace in the 2nd 1/2.

    To not understand this concept is ignorant.
    Why signing Maldonado would be huge

  3. #2731
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn’t cover it. They didn’t succeed because he went out. They did that in their own. One has no barring on the other. Bryant was a huge loss. You don’t lose a guy of that caliber and nothing happens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let's just look at it from CSF77's pov. Baez and Zobrist had increases in WAR that "made up" for the loss of Bryant. It still doesn't mean that Bryant nor being what we wanted hurt the team. In 17 the Cubs won 92 games while winning 3 more on 18. I think the better point would be that Baez and Zobrist saw almost no increase in playing time so their increase in WAR, while off setting the loss of Bryant's, wasn't due to Bryant being out.

  4. #2732
    All-Star anotheridiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back ups allow for more frequent rest to the starter. Contreras fell from Grace in the 2nd 1/2.

    To not understand this concept is ignorant.
    Ignorance is understanding that the primary backups are not one trick ponies. You dont have a backup on the bench that can just play a corner outfield spot like most teams, You have Happ who plays CF, LF, RF, 2B, 3B. You have Zobrist that plays, 2B, RF, LF, most probably 1B, Caratini plays C, 1B, can cover 3B, in 2017 played outfield. Decalso all infield positions. The ONLY guy on this team that play only 1 position is Rizzo, and Schwarber (due to stupidity and hard headedness even with two terrible catchers with pitch framing) Most teams have 0ne guy that can do this, the entire cubs position player roster other than Rizzo can.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

  5. #2733
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ignorance is understanding that the primary backups are not one trick ponies. You dont have a backup on the bench that can just play a corner outfield spot like most teams, You have Happ who plays CF, LF, RF, 2B, 3B. You have Zobrist that plays, 2B, RF, LF, most probably 1B, Caratini plays C, 1B, can cover 3B, in 2017 played outfield. Decalso all infield positions. The ONLY guy on this team that play only 1 position is Rizzo, and Schwarber (due to stupidity and hard headedness even with two terrible catchers with pitch framing) Most teams have 0ne guy that can do this, the entire cubs position player roster other than Rizzo can.
    You can't ball a back up catcher in your theory. If that was so any monkey could do it.

    Catcher is not a 1B. You need a skillset that meets the demands of the position. Schwarber did not meet those demands and gave up and focused on becoming a plus LF defender.

  6. #2734
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn’t cover it. They didn’t succeed because he went out. They did that in their own. One has no barring on the other. Bryant was a huge loss. You don’t lose a guy of that caliber and nothing happens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wRC+ 2018/2017
    Bryant 125/146
    Rizzo 125/134
    Baez 131/98
    Zobrist 123/82

    I'm pretty sure they offset each other. The improvements of Zo and Baez actually were greater than the loss to Bryzzo.

    The actual loss came from elsewhere:

    Contreras: 100->122. Ties to idiots logic. over play and you lose 22 wRC+ from fatigue.
    Schwarber offset this: 115->103 Not completely.

    Then you have to look at the next tier:

    Heyward 99-88
    Almora 89-103
    Russell 80-85
    Happ: 103-114

    over all a loss of production. Only Heyward improved.

    Then the useless back up catcher position:
    Caratini: 65
    2017:
    Avila 125
    Montero 75
    Rivera: 92

    2017 they could give Contreras a day off with out losing much. Caratini was pushed to MLB duty and tanked. 200 PA's producing a .239/.293/.304.

    over all it was hitting into more GB's that was the biggest issue looking it over. That change blew up in their faces. but it lies in the secondary hitters not the 4 core hitters that caused the main issues.

  7. #2735
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,578

    Default

    There was a minor mention in a fangraphs prospect week story i found interesting. The short version is teams are now focusing on juco schools in the draft more because of stuff like trackman being installed in big college programs. The thing i found interesting is they said that apparently MLB teams can pay for installation of that into juco programs and keep the data to themselves. The D1 data is something everyone apparently has access to.

    They didn't say for certain who the teams doing this were but the only two programs they know of with juco trackman are Central Arizona and Chipola JC in Florida. The cubs drafted Peyton Remy and David Petrino out of central az in 2017 and 2014 respectively and Edmond Americaan and Rey Rivera in 18/16. So, I suspect that they may be a team that has done this.

  8. #2736
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why signing Maldonado would be huge
    The outfield is weaker than the IF. Add to it 2 of their top 3 hitters are RH already.

    Harper makes more sense if they went that direction. There is enough contract coming off in 2020 to absorb the hit. Tom IMO worries about budget over winning.

  9. #2737
    All-Star chibears55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The outfield is weaker than the IF. Add to it 2 of their top 3 hitters are RH already.

    Harper makes more sense if they went that direction. There is enough contract coming off in 2020 to absorb the hit. Tom IMO worries about budget over winning.
    What that have to do with signing Maldonado as a backup catcher

  10. #2738
    All-Star anotheridiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't ball a back up catcher in your theory. If that was so any monkey could do it.

    Catcher is not a 1B. You need a skillset that meets the demands of the position. Schwarber did not meet those demands and gave up and focused on becoming a plus LF defender.
    In this case, you are claiming you have some inside information. Schwarber, give up? Did you read his recent article how he is going to fight being a DH and be a full time left fielder? Schwarber was going to get Jason Hammel in the rotation his first full season before Dexter Fowler ran to left field and took him out. What does this guy have to do to prove he has more desire than 99% of major leaguers? He is not deserving of all this hate. Hate him if he is dealt across town.

    I dont know where the C to 1B came from, that was Carrot top, I am pretty sure Schwarber is smart enough to see he wont get playing time behind Rizzo.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

  11. #2739
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What that have to do with signing Maldonado as a backup catcher

    Martín Benjamín Maldonado Valdés? Is that who you are talking about? If so I didn't know that based off you using a single name for a minor free agent

  12. #2740
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In this case, you are claiming you have some inside information. Schwarber, give up? Did you read his recent article how he is going to fight being a DH and be a full time left fielder? Schwarber was going to get Jason Hammel in the rotation his first full season before Dexter Fowler ran to left field and took him out. What does this guy have to do to prove he has more desire than 99% of major leaguers? He is not deserving of all this hate. Hate him if he is dealt across town.

    I dont know where the C to 1B came from, that was Carrot top, I am pretty sure Schwarber is smart enough to see he wont get playing time behind Rizzo.
    You really out did your self this time. I think you need your meds refilled.

  13. #2741
    All-Star chibears55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Martín Benjamín Maldonado Valdés? Is that who you are talking about? If so I didn't know that based off you using a single name for a minor free agent
    Considering you were talking about
    Backup Catcher and Martin Maldonado is one of the best defensive FA catcher available now..

    He a veteran and wouldn't cost much

  14. #2742
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Considering you were talking about
    Backup Catcher and Martin Maldonado is one of the best defensive FA catcher available now..

    He a veteran and wouldn't cost much
    Fair enough.

  15. #2743
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Well at least it is better than the Schwarber yearns to be a catcher nonsense and he holds his Teddy every night hoping that he can get again squat behind the holy plate of epicness.

  16. #2744
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,578

    Default

    So just reading the situation it doesn't appear the cubs are all that interested in adding a back up catcher. Theo seemed more keen on going with potentially another reliever. And while I do think the cubs should add a catcher, I'm wondering if this might not be a better use of resources. The reason I say that is I think it will be a lot cheaper to find a catcher at the deadline than it will be to find a reliever of note. Plus, i want to see the cubs get out to a fast start so maybe it's better if contreras plays a bit heavier in the first half of the year and then in july perhaps they scale back his workload some.

  17. #2745
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,578

    Default

    Something to consider... if I'm the cubs i'm going to the young arb guys and seeing what it takes to lock them up. I feel like if you are sitting here seeing Machado and Harper struggle to find a deal in Feb that if the cubs were to approach a reasonable extension you have to consider it.

  18. #2746
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beckdawg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something to consider... if I'm the cubs i'm going to the young arb guys and seeing what it takes to lock them up. I feel like if you are sitting here seeing Machado and Harper struggle to find a deal in Feb that if the cubs were to approach a reasonable extension you have to consider it.
    Truly, if you've got a guy you plan on keeping, having the conversation won't hurt. Say Baez sustains 2018. Would you balk at a deal that paid him 10/15/20/20/25/25/25, which would be an AAV of 20M? That would take him through his age 33 season. Maybe even try a 7yr at 130M which could go 10/14/18/19/21/23/25.

  19. #2747
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castor76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Truly, if you've got a guy you plan on keeping, having the conversation won't hurt. Say Baez sustains 2018. Would you balk at a deal that paid him 10/15/20/20/25/25/25, which would be an AAV of 20M? That would take him through his age 33 season. Maybe even try a 7yr at 130M which could go 10/14/18/19/21/23/25.
    For me personally, i'd kinda wanna wait til say the all-star break on baez to make sure 2018 was real. I'm kinda sitting here looking at Hendricks. Unlike many of the other cubs he wasn't a 1st round pick. He was taken in the 10th round IIRC and signed for like 100k again IIRC. Minor league players make next to nothing. So, thus far he's looking at the roughly $6 mil he has made thus far in his career plus the roughly $7.5 mil he'll make in 2019 plus let's say $10-15 mil in 2020 before becoming a FA. That's what like some where around $30 mil? You compare that to Bryant who got $6.7 mil in signing bonus from the draft and who makes nearly $13 mil this year and he's basically already matched what Hendricks will do in his entire pre-FA contract with just a signing bonus and 1 year of arb. Plus, if I'm Hendricks and I'm sitting here looking at Keuchel who I've heard basically nothing about in terms of rumors you gotta wonder is there really much market for Hendricks who isn't throwing mid 90s.

    But regardless, I think if i'm the cubs front office that is more my intentions rather than spending money on Harper right now. The main reason is let's say you lock up most of if not all the core guys on reasonable deals.... in 2 years Betts and Trout are going to be FAs. So, while it sort of sucks they don't have the flexibility right now to just throw tons of money into FA, I still feel like you can use this offseason to your advantage.

    It will also be interesting to see what happens with Darvish. For example, let's say Darvish comes out and pitches like he was expect to in 2018. He can opt out after 2019. But given how this FA market and how the last one played out are you going to gamble on getting a better deal than the 4/$81 mil he has left where he will be 33 headed into 2020? If that happens and he doesn't opt out that 4/$81 is pretty appealing. If he does opt out then the cubs suddenly have a lot of money.

  20. #2748
    All-Star chibears55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beckdawg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something to consider... if I'm the cubs i'm going to the young arb guys and seeing what it takes to lock them up. I feel like if you are sitting here seeing Machado and Harper struggle to find a deal in Feb that if the cubs were to approach a reasonable extension you have to consider it.
    Thing is, players might want to wait til after new CBA starts to be locked in long term.

    So, they may only get them signed thru 2022

  21. #2749
    All-Star anotheridiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You really out did your self this time. I think you need your meds refilled.
    and keep avoiding the retorts when you are wrong, or mistyped, must have been spellcheck.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

  22. #2750
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and keep avoiding the retorts when you are wrong, or mistyped, must have been spellcheck.
    For your info. When he gave up on catcher last off season when he lost the weight to focusc100% on left field. It was widely covered in many news sources. But you keep being you and keep hoping that he can take a squat behind the dish.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •