Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He's kind of interesting. Big lefty(6'4 220). Last year in AAA had 12.54/3.86 k/bb per 9. Regularly has been well over 10 k per 9. Given the lack of lefties the cubs have wouldn't shock me if he's with the opening day roster.

It would mean that they went in house. Sure I kinda expect it as a answer but clearly not a favorite option. More of a restriction implemented by ownership

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Nothing really happened at the Winter Meetings. The biggest deal, unless I missed something, was McCutchen's and you had the 3 team trade and that was about it. The biggest thing that probably happened is a lot of bricks got set and we'll have to see how things shake out as each big piece gets taken off the board and then other teams adjust to what's left.

The Cubs have bad contracts they'd loved to get rid of and they'll be lucky to find a player for maybe two at most. They also have a couple or three guys they could trade with larger contracts that have value should things go way south or they decide they want to make a big splash signing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nothing really happened at the Winter Meetings. The biggest deal, unless I missed something, was McCutchen's and you had the 3 team trade and that was about it. The biggest thing that probably happened is a lot of bricks got set and we'll have to see how things shake out as each big piece gets taken off the board and then other teams adjust to what's left.

The Cubs have bad contracts they'd loved to get rid of and they'll be lucky to find a player for maybe two at most. They also have a couple or three guys they could trade with larger contracts that have value should things go way south or they decide they want to make a big splash signing.

White Sox made some significant moves this offseason.

Alonzo 1B, Coleme CL, Nova SP. they don’t suck anymore. As is 81 wins.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
White Sox made some significant moves this offseason.

Alonzo 1B, Coleme CL, Nova SP. they don’t suck anymore. As is 81 wins.

I reiterate, nothing really happened. Certainly nothing that sending waves the rest of MLB to which every team with playoff aspirations now must make adjustments. Not saying nothing at all happened. Just saying nothing that would make the cover of SI or anything.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I reiterate, nothing really happened. Certainly nothing that sending waves the rest of MLB to which every team with playoff aspirations now must make adjustments. Not saying nothing at all happened. Just saying nothing that would make the cover of SI or anything.

Manny wanted to discuss at the teams park.

Boras didn’t want to play his hand early. Manny setting the market is not a bad thing.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Even if you're right and believe me I don't agree with that, he's not going to play every day anyways. We know this. That's not how joe operates.

Eventually, maybe this will change to that is how Joe operated.

Theo is making a point he wants to see some change.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree that Manny setting the market isn't a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that Theo not off-loading any of the bad contracts is also not that big a deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree that Manny setting the market isn't a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that Theo not off-loading any of the bad contracts is also not that big a deal.

Chatwood is the easiest to flip if he figures it out. He is paid on par for a 4-5 starter.

Heyward had a 1/2 season last year. He needs to put together a complete season again.

Duesing is paid 3.5M. I expect him cut in S/T.

Kintzler at 5M kinda has more of a opertunity. I expect him cut also but has more rope.

No one takes on garbage unless they have garbage to off load

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Chatwood is the easiest to flip if he figures it out. He is paid on par for a 4-5 starter.

Heyward had a 1/2 season last year. He needs to put together a complete season again.

Duesing is paid 3.5M. I expect him cut in S/T.

Kintzler at 5M kinda has more of a opertunity. I expect him cut also but has more rope.

No one takes on garbage unless they have garbage to off load

Or you're not asking for anything in return. What exactly did the Yankees give up for Stanton? They gave up a semi-bad contract of their own, their #9 prospect, and a guy not even ranked in their system.

If the Cubs found a buyer for Heyward plus no more than 50M remaining, do you think they could get a #15-20 prospect or two? Any trade the Cubs make is going to be more about payroll relief with the above mentioned players. There's still the crazy deal with Cleveland in my head, but it's a crazy deal that could maybe work.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Or you're not asking for anything in return. What exactly did the Yankees give up for Stanton? They gave up a semi-bad contract of their own, their #9 prospect, and a guy not even ranked in their system.

If the Cubs found a buyer for Heyward plus no more than 50M remaining, do you think they could get a #15-20 prospect or two? Any trade the Cubs make is going to be more about payroll relief with the above mentioned players. There's still the crazy deal with Cleveland in my head, but it's a crazy deal that could maybe work.

Cubs would have to eat or take back 9M of bad contract to balance his value to pay. They have a 2 year window to play with him so they are better off waiting a year.

End of the day: even if they null his contract 100% it still doesn’t buy Harper.

Harper would equal. Heyward and Chatwood. Then take back nothing. That is about what year 1 will cost.

That is why it is good that they are talking to Trulo. That could end up bigger than Hamels

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Cubs would have to eat or take back 9M of bad contract to balance his value to pay. They have a 2 year window to play with him so they are better off waiting a year.

End of the day: even if they null his contract 100% it still doesn’t buy Harper.

Harper would equal. Heyward and Chatwood. Then take back nothing. That is about what year 1 will cost.

That is why it is good that they are talking to Trulo. That could end up bigger than Hamels

I like the idea of Trulo as well because it's no risk.

And the Cubs are sitting at about 225M now. If they even cleared 15M they could get Harper. If they cleared Heyward outright, that should take the 23M off, which is what he's counting against the CBT. If 246 is the no break number, why I don't understand, then it could be done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I like the idea of Trulo as well because it's no risk.

And the Cubs are sitting at about 225M now. If they even cleared 15M they could get Harper. If they cleared Heyward outright, that should take the 23M off, which is what he's counting against the CBT. If 246 is the no break number, why I don't understand, then it could be done.

That is not true though. They has said that they would have to clear to even add a BP arm. So the whole 246 is not a thing at all.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A thought I had was to go after both Troy and Descalso. Troy comes with 2 years at league min and Dan you sign to a 3 year deal. Dan basically replaces Happ and Troy replaces Russell. Then trade both Russell and Happ for BP depth.

SDP as one target needs a SS. Happ adds depth.

Target: José Castillo and/or Matt Strahm

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Everything comes down to what they finally decide to want to spend. I'm resigned to Harped not being a Cub. I can hate it, but I know there's plenty of offense if the team is healthy.

But it is nice to dream of 2-5 of Bryant, Harper, Baez, Rizzo.