The difference between Eric Kush and James Daniels in two plays

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Yeah seems obvious Kush is suppose to seal off anyone that may attempt to tackle the RB from behind and the RB already has two lead blockers.

In the clip with Daniels, it appears 72 is the one that is suppose to block behind him with Daniels forming one of the 2 lead blockers.

I would say Kush was still too slow to turn his head around once it was clear no one was in position to make a tackle from behind. Should have been able to quickly check and then swing back forward which if he had, he probably makes a block on the dude with the dreads that forces the cutback.
https://youtu.be/7rJPwewkUN4 tell me on any screen here where a linemen was effective or affected any of these screen plays by doing anything remotely what kush did * it has to be near the line of scrimmage and 5 yards away from the receiver just like kush was*. There is obviously no awareness. You have one of your faster smaller backs running far to the sideline to catch a screen pass and he is worried about a defender coming from the line behind him and away from the play ?? Please stop making excuses.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah seems obvious Kush is suppose to seal off anyone that may attempt to tackle the RB from behind and the RB already has two lead blockers.

In the clip with Daniels, it appears 72 is the one that is suppose to block behind him with Daniels forming one of the 2 lead blockers.

I would say Kush was still too slow to turn his head around once it was clear no one was in position to make a tackle from behind. Should have been able to quickly check and then swing back forward which if he had, he probably makes a block on the dude with the dreads that forces the cutback.

You are right, he just needs to get his head around a second sooner and get upfield.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
https://youtu.be/7rJPwewkUN4 tell me on any screen here where a linemen was effective or affected any of these screen plays by doing anything remotely what kush did * it has to be near the line of scrimmage and 5 yards away from the receiver just like kush was*. There is obviously no awareness. You have one of your faster smaller backs running far to the sideline to catch a screen pass and he is worried about a defender coming from the line behind him and away from the play ?? Please stop making excuses.

It all depends on where the screen is being run.

-WR screen, no point in ever looking back, just run.

-middle screen, no point in looking back because the defenders are either up field or the ball is in the dirt

-flat screen, you peak back to make sure the backside DT, DE or LB did not get a good read and come screaming in from behind.

42 seconds into your video is a flat screen to Langford where you see one of the OGs peak back 2-3 times.

I am sure that not every team teaches it that way, but there are a bunch of OL coaches who do.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wrong the play youre referring to was snuffed out from the beginning there were 2 defenders in the area and Mitch still threw him the ball.

Watch it again. That ball gets caught and he's past the 1st defender without the congestion caused by the Daniel backing into the RB. Check the vid at 2:25 and it was clearer in the game focused replay. Mitch threw a bit risky but perfect pass that hit Howard directly in the hands that was broken up by Daniels and the guy he was blocking running into him. Howard was already past #92 who the ball was thrown over and would have been able to go upfield if he had better blocking.
[video=youtube;j9JCkcrpW10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9JCkcrpW10[/video]
It's one bad play out of many VG ones by Daniels but it happened and really, even if you disagree with that possible outcome and whether or not Howard could complete that play, the other aspects of that play doesn't reflect on Daniels' blocking within it. It was more about timing than being able to block. He was taught to hesitate on a screen and by the time he got there he was at a disadvantage. More experience will have him notice his man isn't fooled and pick him up sooner or just drive him into the ground instead of engaging etc. Stuff we should all be willing to live with when it looks like his overall play will be an asset.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Kush has been the worst offensive lineman on the Bears this season. Daniels should have replaced him week 1.

This is a little concerning, either Daniels is too Special person to pick up the playbook or linemen reads, or the coaching staff is inept. Either one is kinda shitty.

I'm sure there's lots of things like blitz recognition that goes beyond just simply knowing the playbook. You'd get Trubisky killed if you send in unprepared O-Linemen. If coaches weren't confident he could pick up all of those right away, then it'd make sense to leave in Kush who at least has some experience with it.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Watch it again. That ball gets caught and he's past the 1st defender without the congestion caused by the Daniel backing into the RB. Check the vid at 2:25 and it was clearer in the game focused replay. Mitch threw a bit risky but perfect pass that hit Howard directly in the hands that was broken up by Daniels and the guy he was blocking running into him. Howard was already past #92 who the ball was thrown over and would have been able to go upfield if he had better blocking.
[video=youtube;j9JCkcrpW10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9JCkcrpW10[/video]
It's one bad play out of many VG ones by Daniels but it happened and really, even if you disagree with that possible outcome and whether or not Howard could complete that play, the other aspects of that play doesn't reflect on Daniels' blocking within it. It was more about timing than being able to block. He was taught to hesitate on a screen and by the time he got there he was at a disadvantage. More experience will have him notice his man isn't fooled and pick him up sooner or just drive him into the ground instead of engaging etc. Stuff we should all be willing to live with when it looks like his overall play will be an asset.

I still don't think its his fault he tried to sell the run, howard ran too far outside and the play was too slow developing overall it was just a busted play couls daniels have saves it ? Probably but it was a shit show from start to finish that could of gone tubgirl bad.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
It all depends on where the screen is being run.

-WR screen, no point in ever looking back, just run.

-middle screen, no point in looking back because the defenders are either up field or the ball is in the dirt

-flat screen, you peak back to make sure the backside DT, DE or LB did not get a good read and come screaming in from behind.

42 seconds into your video is a flat screen to Langford where you see one of the OGs peak back 2-3 times.

I am sure that not every team teaches it that way, but there are a bunch of OL coaches who do.
The screen kush fks up on wasn't the kind you look back on thats all i have to say about that play.

Staleydabear1938

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love that someone from my alma mater is on the Bears.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
About fucking time Pace starts reaching into the talent pool at Iowa. Packers have been doing it for years.

Lets be real here. They rely on the hug technique far more than the linemen themselves' talent. They have had some bad linemen over the years.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lets be real here. They rely on the hug technique far more than the linemen themselves' talent. They have had some bad linemen over the years.

I'm not talking about just OL.

Mike Daniels/Micah Hyde are the most recent ones I'd say the Packers had a huge return on. Josh Jackson will be good.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not talking about just OL.

Mike Daniels/Micah Hyde are the most recent ones I'd say the Packers had a huge return on. Josh Jackson will be good.

My bad, thought this was just a d0nk discussion.