Crazy passing numbers this year

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This year is starting off insane for passing numbers.

The top 3rd of the league in passer rating (11 guys, Mitch actually made it in) have a ridiculous amount of tds to ints. 112 to 25... over 4-1.

Red zone yesterday said this year is on a record breaking pace for scoring.

... funny- In years past i would imagine most on here would be pissed about the rule changes screwing over the defenses... but now that the bears seem to be putting together a real NFL offense, i would guess people are not to upset? Yes? No?

Monster

Liked Posts:
I enjoy watching dominating defensive teams. Seeing offenses that appear helpless and frustrated is awesome... however now looks like a thing of the past. I understand and agree with the changes made for player safety. The result though is a decline in the defenses being able to intimidate. WRs are no longer afraid to cross the middle of the field and you can’t lay the wood on a QB making them paranoid.
The game has changed now... all offensive records will start getting re-written. It’s more fun for TV, fantasy etc...

I would not say I’m upset... but I will miss the days of vicious, intimidating defense.

They’ve also neutered kick returns...

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Fix the penalties already defenses aren’t even going at full speed anymore

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Probably 5 more years before the NFL is basically the CFL.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The NFL needs to be consistent on defensive holding. Its like they don't call it most of the time and then boom it gets called. It allows the refs to totally manipulate a game.

Another note: the defensive penalties themselves are helping offense with 1st downs, and I don't necessarily think the tackling by defensive players is causing that much of an issue.

15 yards and an automatic first down for roughing the passer, in addition to the automatic first down with defensive holding, that is probably like 3-4 extra first downs per team per game.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I hate the knee-jerk reaction rule changes to injuries that have been happening. I'm okay with the helmet-to-helmet stuff, but hands to helmets, not being able to hit a QB low, now not being able to land on a QB even when you tackle him properly. Kickoffs are essentially gone. The running game is compromised in the NFL. Defense has to play on fucking eggshells to make sure not to get hit with 15 yard penalties every play.

I still like the game, but god damn, they are trying to make it hard for people that don't want to just watch QBs sling it all over the place all the time. I miss defense. :(

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I am hoping defenses will start to adjust to these offenses now that they have 5 weeks of tape.

I think the average fan enjoys watching points rack up on the board but I think the NFL is walking a very fine line right now where they risk alienating their core fan base by making it only about offense

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I hate the knee-jerk reaction rule changes to injuries that have been happening. I'm okay with the helmet-to-helmet stuff, but hands to helmets, not being able to hit a QB low, now not being able to land on a QB even when you tackle him properly. Kickoffs are essentially gone. The running game is compromised in the NFL. Defense has to play on fucking eggshells to make sure not to get hit with 15 yard penalties every play.

I still like the game, but god damn, they are trying to make it hard for people that don't want to just watch QBs sling it all over the place all the time. I miss defense. :(

Did you somehow miss the first 4 Bears games?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Deadspin had a legit good article on this last week. Check it out.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get more points is more exiting for viewers, but I kind of don't like it.

A decade ago, it was the story of the week when a team scored 40 points, or a QB had 400 yards passing. Now it could happen a few times a week and it feels routine. Big numbers don't really mean much anymore, which is disappointing.

I remember a time when a QB rating of 90 was actually pretty damn good. Now, damn near half the league gets it. Case in point: Last year, the NFL had 5 QBs with a rating over 100 and another 10 with a rating over 90. In the 2002 season, there was 1 QB with a rating over 100 and 3 with a rating over 90.

I guess it was just more of a challenge in the past to put up better numbers, which was more impressive to me.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I do not believe this was the league's intention with the rules.

A big part of it is 1/2 half the league is still running the same defensive schemes from five years ago and pretty much all OC's have caught on. The rules aren't helping but when you have guys like Zimmer who stubbornly run the same idiotic base defense every week and get shredded its not really making things difficult on offenses.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do not believe this was the league's intention with the rules.

A big part of it is 1/2 half the league is still running the same defensive schemes from five years ago and pretty much all OC's have caught on. The rules aren't helping but when you have guys like Zimmer who stubbornly run the same idiotic base defense every week and get shredded its not really making things difficult on offenses.

A lot of the the rule changes have absolutely been made to help increase scoring. Some are about safety.

There is a correlation between better ratings and higher scoring. The same thing happened in the NBA. they changed the rules to make it harder to play defense, as as a result, guys are scoring a lot more, and the NBA's ratings went up.

Casual fans don't like to watch low scoring games with a lot of punts.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I dont think they wanted to increase scoring to this extent. Its actually hurting the suspense of the games, but like I said very few NFL defenses are actually innovating in a meaningful way. Bears are lucky to have Vic.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I like defense and ball control offense. I'm old but that is football 101. High scoring games are boring to me.

Midway Monsters

Liked Posts:
Part of the reason I don’t like college is lack of defense. Points seem more meaningless when the offense doesn’t have to work as hard for it. I do think that part of it is not only rules changes, but also these spread offenses and better quarterback play across the league.

A few years ago, when a quarterback came into the league ready to play right away, it was because they played in a pro style offense. Now it seems like the NFL is the one imitating college offense rather than vice versa.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I still can't believe hands to the face is an automatic 1st down.