Would you trade Jordan Howard? What would your price be?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I would.

Running backs are probably one of the easier positions to replace. Look at teams that have won the Super Bowl or have gotten to the Super Bowl over the last few years. They either have an average RB, or they use a RB by committee. So having a great RB isn't really necessary to make it to a Super Bowl... If we can turn a 5th round pick into a 3rd round pick, I would absolutely do it. Although, I think we could potentially get a 2nd for him given that he's only 23 years old.

Not only that, but you gotta think long term as well. Howard is in his third year, approaching extension time. He may ask for quite a bit of money.... why give it to him when we could just draft another RB who can potentially produce the same results at a much cheaper price?

This.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think you keep him at this point unless its a ridiculous offer like a 2nd and late round pick. We would just trade him and then have to draft another back with that pick. Might as well keep him until he leaves and take the comp pick.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Correct. He's simply not worth a 2nd rounder. If this was 20years, ago Pace could get more but teams simply don't give up much for North/south RB's.

Yup. I'd still trade him for a 3rd rounder. The Pace has been drafting, that 3rd rounder could be a big piece going forward, and i still think we wouldn't lose much by replacing Howard with Nall and leaning more on Cohen/Cunningham as a result, since they're better fits for the offense. Nall brings a little more receiving ability too.

Edit to add: Jay Ajayi was traded to Philly last year for a 4th rounder, but he had the knee issue hanging over him. The Bears might be able to snag a mid 3rd from a competitive team in need of some rushing help, but even that would be unlikely, IMO.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
As a RB he probably does not sign a big enough deal for us to get a 3rd.

But, because we are competitive this season I would not trade him unless someone really came with a strong offer. He has a value to the team that I put at least at a 2nd round pick.

Yeah for a 2 rounder I would be tempted to trade him. But the way the season is going I don’t think a third rounder holds enough value to trade him. If they did naggy must really not see the value in him

dennehy

Liked Posts:
3rd rounder and Corey Clement.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really like Howard, but I can’t see him as the long term answer at RB in this offense. A 3rd would the best offer at the end of this season. A 3rd and a 6th for a middle of the season trade as the destination team would be feeling more desperate. I would hate to lose him this season, but I expect to see plans to replace him this offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I really like Howard, but I can’t see him as the long term answer at RB in this offense. A 3rd would the best offer at the end of this season. A 3rd and a 6th for a middle of the season trade as the destination team would be feeling more desperate. I would hate to lose him this season, but I expect to see plans to replace him this offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there even such a thing as a "long term answer" at RB in any offense?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd need at least a 2nd. In this OFF he may not be a tool we need, as much as Cohen. I like him, though. Would hate to see him go.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No.Not mid-season. He is worth more to the Bears than they could hope to get for him.

RB's who are traded fetch much less in return than fans expect.

Plus Leveon Bell may be on the market at the same time. And teams don't often trade for NFL players mid-season.

Long-term he is not a great fit. But right now, you'd be taking a step back this season in hopes of getting a draft pick. Do it off season if you're going to. But don't expect much in return.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
looks like he may get replaced....Conner is having Bell-like stats

Connor has had two monster games, one against a very bad defense. He hasn't done much else. Certainly not playing like Bell.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They need him this season. And what or who are you going to replace him with in the draft? Can you get a back of his quality with the picks they have? Would trading him just make a new hole in the roster? They didn’t use him in the Tampa game because they didn’t need to run the ball when their QB was shredding the defense. Miami could be a completely different situation. Trading him mid-season is lunacy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
As much as I am a IU and Bears fan, I would hate to see him go. That said I see no way he ends up with a second contract from the Bears.

1)Howard is 1 of 8 RB with 2000+ yards over the last 2 seasons
2)Of those rushers, only Mark Ingram averages more per carry.
3)He is also only 1 of 8 backs to have over 500 carries the last 2 seasons.

I think his stats will take a downturn this season dueue to being a some what round peg being stuffed into a square hole. Howard, rightfully, will want to be paid as a feature back. The Bears offense is not built for a 25-30 carry thumper. Sort of reminds me to a lesser degree to the Greg Olsen situation.

Sadly, I think it will be best if they look to get value for him after this season, a third would be probably max return.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This late in the season, you aren't likely to receive adequate value for him, similar to the situation the Steelers face with Bell. At some point, the Bears are going to start utilizing him more, especially when you consider his performance will be paramount if Trubisky is to continue developing. They're going to need a handful of 20-25 carry games to eat clock and close out a team in a close game.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
not to throw water on the Bell-conner discussion but Bell didn't exactly look much better than Conner last year...

Bell averaged 4 yards a carry and had 9 TDs

Conner is at 5 TDs now and averaging 4.1 YPC